"The END is soooooo close"

by Phizzy 66 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I notice reported in a number of posts that this seems to a bit of a Mantra with the Dubbies now, more so than ever in the past.

Is this because they are getting desperate for the life they live as JW's to change ? They don't really want to end their days with the constant drudgery of the JW life still going on, they want something different, but must "wait on Jehovah". Sigh.

I wonder if this is a small opportunity for us to sow some small, niggling doubt, why not ask, when they spew out the "it is soooo close" nonsense:

"Tell me, why do you think that ?".

They will then have to examine the basis for such a thought, and they really don't have a WT sanctioned one, except the vague GB claim that this GB will be the last, hinted at a few months back, but of course, no Scriptural evidence is there for them to use, just GB blather.

I think this simple question may make them take a look at what they are saying, and what they believe.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Their philosophy is simple, every day in this old system is a day closer to the new one. Therefore, since there have been 36,000 days since October 1914, we are 36,000 days closer to the end......

• irondork
    irondork

Easy to see how the slaves will start beating eachother because the master is delaying. Had the slaves not been so decieved in the first place...

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

We are closer to the end than we were in 1914. Part of the new loyalty/spirituality test is that you believe the end will come in your lifetime. This is repeated over and over. In fact, if you don't believe the end will come in your lifetime, you are a ridiculer. You are saying, " Where is this promised precense of his.."

No more mentioning dates for awhile. " Soon " is the new 1975. " In our lifetime is the new " date " based on biblical chronology. We just had a new baby born in our KH! Will the end come in my lifetime or his? Is this " generation " those that understood what the phrase , " in our lifetime " meant? Or is the " generation " those that were merely born during the time the phrase, " in our lifetime " was mentioned?

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

My JW family do believe the end is soooooooooooooo close - they have quit their jobs and now call themselves pensioners (er pioneers) They have their go to bags. Ja see you 10 years.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Is this because they are getting desperate for the life they live as JW's to change ? They don't really want to end their days with the constant drudgery of the JW life still going on, they want something different, but must "wait on Jehovah". Sigh.

I have had several older ones open up and speak frankly about their unfulfilled expectations. One asked: "Did those guys in New York get it all wrong?" These are good, loyal JWs in their late 70s or 80s who did not expect to have to face burying their parents, let alone their marriage mate (after all, they were going to survive the GT together and live forever in Paradise), yet they have come to realize they too have one foot in the grave. They are old. They will die -- unless the GT and Armageddon and the New World come very, very soon (TM) -- and they don't see that happening. Not just because of the lack of evidence in the "world", but even more so because of the WTS starting building projects with ongoing plans for years in the future and the constant remodeling of Kingdom Halls. Why spend 10s or 100s of thousand$ of dollar$ on a KH that is adequate if The End is that near?

So, yes, they are getting desperate for the life they were promised to be living by now.

Doc

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

LouBelle:My JW family do believe the end is soooooooooooooo close - they have quit their jobs and now call themselves pensioners (er pioneers) They have their go to bags.

Do you not think this is because they are getting up in age and realize that if The End(TM) is NOT soooooooooooooooooo close then they will not live on together into Panda Paradise as they have been promised for decades? They do not want to face the fact that the promise was a lie. They must take this action to keep the promise real in their lives.

Doc

• Mary
    Mary

One of the elders (a former close friend) who came by to invite me to the Memorial last year, told me that it "didn't matter if Armageddon came in our life-time or not", when I had said that they've been telling people it's 'right around the corner' for the last 130 years. After he said that, I replied "if it doesn't matter if it comes in our life time, then why are you going out and telling people that it is!?"

Unfortunately, the idea that 'Armageddon is imminent' is the center of the Watchtower's universe and they can't let go of that without risking that their entire house of cards will collapse. Without that fear put into the R&F on a daily basis, the New & Improved Faithful Slave might lose authority of their 'domestics', and that has to be avoided at all costs.

I'm sure that in another hundred years, they will still be out their preaching about how 'close' everyone is to The End, with Field Serve-Us Reports still being handed in at the end of every month. A total waste of human time when you think about all the actual charity work that Witnesses could be involved in that might actually make a difference in peoples' lives.....

• bigmac
    bigmac

my end is sooooo close.

when i was younger it seemed a lot further away--but with advancing years it seems to have shrunk---so it is a lot closer than it used to be.

• ?evrything
    ?evrything

After every convention I was convinced that there would not be another convention. I was so scared after that last talk I was on my best behavior for about a week. Then next thing you know a year goes by and back at another convention. lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit