Mormons getting hollowed out: The tipping point has occurred.

by Qcmbr 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

A KH in the Seattle area that had 6 congregations meeting there have been condensed to 4 congregations (they combined 4 of them into 2 and left two intact).

When they are having 4-6 congregations meet in one building, that means everyone is driving much farther (good thing they no longer have to go to their very much more local book study groups!).

Saying that they are doing this with plans to build MORE halls is great-but with the new KH building scheme, it will be interesting to see how that works in reality. They could build nice new building using the WT money, pt them in there for a few months and then condense them again because "it makes more sense" then selling the building that they hyped and got donations for (not unlike the Spanish Bethel).

OR, they could let the congregations get comfy cosy for awhile and announce that they were fitting just fine into the building that they are in, or they can sell that one, add a bunch of hype and move them ALL into a new condensed facility (after selling off 4+) and then regularly downsize because of changing needs. we all know they play the game and we all see it in fact.

As to Mormons, having experience with both religions, I'd totally prefer being a LDS child than a JW one. Even the boys who have to serve (insincere or obligatory ) missions are only stuck with it for 2 years, come home, finish the last 2-3 years of college and get married at some point (often while in college). These people have a better standard of and quality of life. They are not obligatory outcasts from normal life, not expected to seek poverty and are (just as mch as JWs) expected to live morally clean lives. They do however, get a lot more forgiveness when they "slip" and are not made outcasts or usually harshly treated. The exception is those who publicly oppose their policy (not unlike JWs), but most LDS just go inactive (perhaps enough to be called "Jack" mormons, but usually just stay low key about it) and keep their loved ones. I knew one who had been Excommunicated and he was still loved, adored and supported by his family no matter what-and trust me, the guy had a LOT of what's! They are programmed for success, supported through hard times and surrounded with a very supportive structure. For most, even if the details of religion are shallow, the basic ethics of morals and hard work and being a good citizen are very traditionally normal. Many are trying to love God in the way they understand.

When God expects perfect understanding, he can come down and tell us all personally. The truth is that the issue of things being real truth does matter and the things that are pure nonsense to LDS folks are hard to accept once they are willing to examine them. The WT is a lot sneakier and more insidious with their lies, IMO.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

OEJ, interesting anecdote. I too remember when those attendance numbers would have been unacceptable. I'll have to listen for our numbers next time the CO comes here.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Jw daughter I'm just curious but how did you come to gave experience with both religions.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Something else to consider, attrition of the elderly. It has to be said that the majority of ones in the religion are up in age agree? If this is true then maybe these bean counters for the Borg know that these ones will die off in huge numbers in the coming few years leaving a much smaller religion without the need for more kingdom halls. So condense now, sell off a bunch of properties for profit and wait and stall until the numbers drop. With all the elderly gone no need for any new halls. What do you think of this theory?

• dozy
    dozy

Interesting topic - thanks for the posts.

In terms of recruitment , I often found that the few "interested" ones that we met were also being contacted by the Mormons. I remember when I was a pioneer on several occasions doing a RV & finding that the Mormons were already at the door or on at least one occasion they ( rather cheekily ) actually walked down the path when I was speaking to the householder. So I would assume the kind of people who potentially would be attracted to becoming a JW are also being reached by the Mormons. Both groups are fighting over what must now be a tiny pool of convertable recruits.

As far as JW numbers in the UK are concerned , it's hard to put exact figures on it - at best , pretty much flatlined , probably marginally losing members offset somewhat by immigrants. All I know from my own observations & anecdotal reports is that overall the JW population is getting older and the number of genuinely committed JWs ( equivalent to TBMs in Mormon parlance ) is pretty small. The younger generation ( 2nd / 3rd even 4th generation JWs ) are basically in it for social reasons and are basically the equivalent of the "Jack Mormons" . My own nephews , for example , some of whom are MS , are basically no different from most "wordly" young ones of a similar age - interested in girls , chilling out and playing X Box games , social networking , sports etc.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I was raised in a JW home and my best friends were LDS at school-as I started mentally pulling away from JW thought, I was trying to nurture friends that woldn't lead me into a bunch of stereotypical apostate kind of trouble. I was never a wild child. . I did a lot of things with LDS friends socially and went to church and until today, am very good friends with one of them, and two have passed away (from actually going apostate to LDS thinking, sadly) and most ofthe rest,though I am not close,are still very much the nice kids, all grown up into nice family people. I think one is way too smart-genius, I think) and analytical and it makes him pretty unhappy about his place inthe church (hes a bishop, with at least 5 kids at last count). I think he would fade away if he could get away with it but I think it is a lot easier for (even baptised) LDS to fade out before marriage or after a divorce (when everyone is too busy being polite to pester you). His family is in it hardcore and now his kids and his wife is the classic good mormon wife. I don't think he hates his everyday life or the responsibilities (they are heavy and they are unpaid clergy, too, with bigger congregations, more social programs and duties than JWs have). It really is a whole lifestyle. If he would have just faded before marriage, his family would not make a big deal. NOW, its a big deal.

I got into that church because I liked the people in it. I never bought the stories, but I liked the lifestyle and my friends. When I left the church, withdrew my membership 3 years after joining, my friends and their famlies knew, and none of them shunned me to this day. I tried finding the "perfect" church. There isn't any. Jesus said, and I believe it, though I am not christian, that you will know his followers by their love. I have met a lot of Chrsitians and non Christians in a lot of different christian denonimations. I have even met NON christians who, according to that one definition of a follower of Jesus, follow him. JWs,LDS, SB, RC's. Not one religion has a brand on being followers of Jesus.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit