Mormons getting hollowed out: The tipping point has occurred.

by Qcmbr 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I had a couple of former JW friends who studied with the Mormons down here , I even sat in on a study my mate had with these 2 ladies, she became frustrated with my constant requests for proof about their religious claims even getting to the pint of becoming rude and confrontational, although I found some of their "proof texts" on certain subjects fairly reasonable and they seemed to have a better knowledge of their doctrine and scripture then most equivalent Dubs, another mate (ex jw) almost made the full step into it , even attending the Temple in Mitcham, I see there is a big temple in Ewell as well.

• venetian
    venetian

Lol! Now I know why there was a huge advert on the side of a London bus last week. If I remember it had a picture of a normal woman with the caption "I'm a Mormon" on the side. With this message it looks like the LDS church is trying to ditch the cult image it has and normalise itself. Fat chance.

• Fencing
    Fencing

It is kind of humorous that they were salivating at the chance of getting one of their own into the White House because their theology calls for it, but getting a candidate into the final two ended up shining a huge spotlight on their weirdness that they were not prepared for and could end up causing vastly more harm.

Encouraging their members go to College was the Mormons first mistake. JW's knew better than to let the the flock get smart enough to see beyond their fear tactics and flimsy doctrines that over and over again fell flat with time.

Aren't they, in the US at least, subtly "encouraged" and expected to go to BYU?

• jam
    jam

I posted a topic a few weeks ago, my son is dating

a lovely Mormon lady, out of the frying pan into the fire.

He met her folks (practicing Mormons). They have four kids,

three are not Mormons. Iam concern about this relationship.

First of all, she (son girl freind) still attend regular and she and

her mom are very close. And secondly, my son is black and she

blonde (white). Concern about the past history of Mormons (blacks).

They are moving in togather next week. I see problems with this

relationship. They are both in their 30,s and both in established

careers.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Some more info. I'm itching to get the 2012 Uk charity report to see if it reveals the big loss of the year that I've seen. In the meantime:

http://www.feministmormonhousewives.org/2011/05/the-church-is-losing-us-how-can-they-keep-us/

Glossary: RM (Returned missionary)

"... Other trends include:

(Most info taken from Ldschurchgrowth.blogspot.com and Cumorah.com ):
    -The drop-out rate/retention rate among RMs is disturbingly high.
    – This year, the church experienced it’s first Stake Shutdown, or First Stake Consolidation In Australia
    -The number of actual convert baptisms has decreased almost steadily since the 80′s. This is based on the annual statistical report delivered in Gen. Conference.
    -Most of the growth of “The Church” continues to be natural growth, through births rather than conversions. However, baptisms of children-of-record are declining too.
    -Growth of Mormonism in the North America and Europe is virtually flat and is actually declining in some countries (prompting the shift from European missions to South American ones.)
    - With the exception of new “minority” wards being created in some inner cities, Mormonism is dying off in urban centers, even in SLC.
    - Most conversions to Mormonism are in the Third World, and the drop-out rate in those countries is very high. Surveys done in Mexico, Chile, and Brazil indicate that less than 20% of the “members” claimed by “The Church” self-identify as Mormons."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints_membership_history

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Sorry to disappoint everyone. But there was a front page article in this country saying that since Romney had spotlighted the Mormon church that they had significantly grown in this country, and that the church although surprised was delighted with the out come.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

These are the firesides being given. This sort of thing would have been unthinkable a few years ago:

http://terrylgivens.com/events/

joe - there may well be a small uptick in actual numbers but the church is losing core members unlike before when it was the new, flaky converts. I think the stats for the next few years will be very revealing.

• Qcmbr
  • LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Creepy watching that video of them walking around, they look exactly like a JW convention!

Q- Do you think those numbers are accurate, that there are 14 million LDS but only 5 million active?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Hi - nope - the actual figures are much lower. The 14 million include those who have taken their names off the membership records but are still counted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit