Mormons getting hollowed out: The tipping point has occurred.

by Qcmbr 85 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I've meet a Mormon / dubbie he was a good friend of mine when I was a dubbie.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Additional Stats from UK for mormon collapse plus reddit fugures breakdown plus my ha'penneth:

• UK LDS church is leaking money and is being supported by US mother church.
    • Average activity rate of members, calculated by tithing and observation, is ~11 - 17%
    • Despite 1700 baptisms, I presume excluding baptisms of children of members, actual fugures decreased by 1000. This indicates the more considered step of name removal (most just fade); the total membership figures include convert baptisms and children of record baptisms so to actually decrease by 1000 means 1700+500 (made up - its higher) = 2200 ergo 3200 had their name removed or died - that indicates a drop in membership of 10 people per church unit in 1 year. Mainly hard core members opt for name removal (it actually means something to them and is worth the effort.) The figures reported absolutely hide a decrease in activity. The closure of operating church units and the lack of new buildings does not.
    • 2014 effect of essays and further disaffections not yet in stats. Will be very interesting.

http://www.mormonfileleaks.com/finances.html

http://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/2pibtd/lds_accounts_for_uk_in_2013_summary_in_comments/

• bohm
    bohm

Thank you for the update, this is very interesting information.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

It's surprising to me that Mormons could be in decline and not Witnesses -- as someone pointed out here recently, Mormons are encouraged to have children and Witnesses are discouraged from doing so. Then again, Mormons do much less preaching than JWs do.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Marked

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Apognophos - "It's surprising to me that Mormons could be in decline and not Witnesses..."

I suspect one of the reasons JWs aren't "in decline" is simply because the leadership is fudging the numbers that would support that conclusion.

Say what you will about the LDS, but they have a much better track record of honesty than the WTS.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I suspect the shunning mandate is the major difference. The Mormons were smug enough to actually think they were right and wouldn't need any further shackles. Now with the latest church admissions on hot topics the core members are either hunkering down into extra committment mode or leaving.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I suspect the shunning mandate is the major difference. The Mormons were smug enough to actually think they were right and wouldn't need any further shackles. Now with the latest church admissions on hot topics the core members are either hunkering down into extra committment mode or leaving.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking... I know mormons do occasionally shun those who leave, but I thought it was more them being super self righteous, not something they did to avoid being shunned themselves, like it is with the JWs.

Mormons also encourage higher education. In the past that probably didn't hurt them too much, but as the world gets more and more secular that's going to cause problems.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The science of DNA analysis was a huge nail in the LDS coffin.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

The Borg announced the closure of something like 295 KH's in Spain and a condensing of congregations in to as many as 4 per hall in the UK. This sounds like a hollowing out to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit