If man evolved?

by tornapart 427 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• *lost*
    *lost*

td I'm not going off topic, as this is exaclty what I am talking about.

prezwalski's horse is a close relative to the horse.

Like tiger x lion etc, close relatives.

Monkey x Human nope, can't be done, even though they are supposed to be close relatives.

Or can they ?

considering everything evolved from one minute organism, to give us the wonderful aray of animals and gene diversity, can science unlock those common genes and cross species

Can modern scientists x species successfuly.

• Caedes
    Caedes

You can't breed a dog and a cat because they are difference species

They are not only a different species they are a different family and genus. Lions and tigers can interbreed because they are different species but the same family and genus, i.e. they are more closely related. Evolutionary theory predicts that as speciation occurs the chance of successful interbreeding goes down and that more distantly related animals would no longer be able to breed at all.

hybrids are sterile, don't reproduce.

This is simply untrue as has been shown in this thread.

But I have yet to see any evidence of successful cross-species breeding and reproduction.

Lost, So are you now prepared to admit your assumption was incorrect?

Monkey x Human nope, can't be done, even though they are supposed to be close relatives.

Again they are (depending on which monkey you are talking about) a different tribe and genus. I.e. lions and tigers are more closely related to each other than we are to monkeys. We are however the same family as bonobos so we are more closely related than cats are to dogs.

Can modern scientists x species successfuly.

Species can sometimes be crossed, more distantly related animals no. Exactly as evolutionary theory would predict, the complete opposite of the biblical statement that animals produce offspring according to their 'kind'

• *lost*
    *lost*

Ceades cross species, if there are none, How can it be wrong ? I don't follow you.

can you show me examples/evidence of hybrids that are not sterile and are breeding/reproducing ?

Are you defining species as within the same genus/family e'g lion tiger.

Or species ie. totally seperate breeds of animals (species)

So, even though we are closely related to apes, and evolved from them, scientists cannot do any gene manipulation to cross the two species.

thanks

I love that we can all talk about these things.

• Caedes
    Caedes
    cross species, if there are none, How can it be wrong ? I don't follow you.

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking me. Could you rephrase the question?

can you show me examples/evidence of hybrids that are not sterile and are breeding/reproducing ?

Myself and others have already given you examples in this thread, go read the link I gave you or Td's excellent post on the subject.

Are you defining species as within the same genus/family e'g lion tiger.

I am using the term species as per its scientific definition. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species

So, even though we are closely related to apes, and evolved from them

This is incorrect, we are related in that we have a common ancestor, we did NOT evolve from any modern ape or monkey.

• *lost*
    *lost*

Ah yes, ''species problem'' seems to be the problem here, regarding communication and understanding.

Yes there have been examples given e.g Tiger x Lion, horse x donky. donkey x zebra etc.

There has been mention hybrids occasionally being fertile themselves, although no examples / evidence of such, by anyone - yet.

Now hybrid x hybrid fertility. e'g mule x mule, is there any examples or evidence of this.

this is what I am meaning.

Hybrid x Hybrid = 0

sorry for the confusion ( language barrier)

• Caedes
    Caedes
    There has been mention hybrids occasionally being fertile themselves, although no examples / evidence of such, by anyone - yet.

I'll refer you to my earlier reply.

Myself and others have already given you examples in this thread, go read the link I gave you or Td's excellent post on the subject.

Of course the issue of hybrid fertility has no bearing on evolution itself, you do realise that? Evolution isn't driven by hybrids, speciation would have had to already have occurred before you could get a cross species hybrid.

• *lost*
    *lost*

I wasn't implying it does have a bearing on evolution. I don't know enough about the subject.

The thing that bugs my brain is how can speciation already of occured, if hybrids cannot reproduce, into another species type. That is all.

i will have a look at td's link

thanks

PS I also find it wuite extraordinary that people were selectively breeding animals , dogs, horses, cattle, sheep (domestication of animals)

many many years ago before science came into it.

Eg dog breeds from china, Pug, Pekingnese etc.

• Caedes
    Caedes
    The thing that bugs my brain is how can speciation already of occured, if hybrids cannot reproduce, into another species type.

Speciation occurs when a group of animals becomes separated physically, so that they are only able to breed within their own group. Over time sufficient genetic differences build up within the group that they are no longer able to breed with the other group. At this point speciation is said to have occurred.

So for example if we look at lions and tigers they have a common ancestor, if we were able to go back in time we would see a population of big cats, at some point that population is separated into two groups geographically. At this point the two groups are the same species, each group then continues to breed over successive generations but only within their own group. The environment will cause some individuals to be more successful than others and thus more likely to successfully raise cubs. The traits of those individuals are more likely to be passed onto future generations.

After many, many generations the two groups will have adapted to their environment and will be genetically different from each other to the point where it is unlikely that they can breed even if they werent geographically seperate.

After all the only reason we have ligers is because we put lions and tigers together in a zoo. The only reason we get grolars is because we have forced polar bears into proximity with grizzlys.

So in answer to your question hybrids dont evolve into other species, one species evolves into another new species, and sometimes into more than one new species such as the common ancestor of lions and tigers did.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Caedes

So then, is it theorised that a tribe of sapiens separated and left the trees for the savanah and evolved as a group to humans?

S

• jgnat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit