If man evolved?

by tornapart 427 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Torn,

If man evolved over hundreds of thousands of years ago, why were there only about 200-300 million people alive 2,000 years ago? Surely there'd have been many billions by then?

As already mentioned population growth was kept low because of higher mortality rates, as our technology and understanding of the world increased mortality rate lowered to where we have the human population mushrooming in size very quickly.

As our technology increased along with better medical treatment, increase supply of food availibilty, the building of great cities, indoor plumbing, new vacines, mass transportation, better nutritional understanding, safety laws, United Nations, and the like have all contributed towards this exponential growth. It looks like a future of mandatory population control may be our next option to slow down growth unless some catastrophy does it first:

• bohm
    bohm

Cofty, you egg-head. You *really* expect to get anywhere with DATA-DOG?

Exhibit 1: You don't know what purpose something serves, therefore it must be vestigal. Yes, yes... The light get's brighter for both extremes. Believe or be ostracized.

Evolutionary puzzle: there seem to be a trend where accounts share the following traits: 1) Dog in the name 2) accounter holder believe in creationism 3) account holder argue like a moron 4) account eventually closed or abandoned. Is this evidence best explained by common ancestry?.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Sorry TD. It's been a crazy week. The Eldumbs are hounding me. I am just stirring up trouble. The science of dogs is fascinating. When did a dog become..a dog?! I don't know.

BOHM, don't be mad... If you met me you would love me. You would really want to punch me in the face, but you wouldn't, because I would enjoy it! You are really funny! You get so mad! Lighten up bro!

Cofty, hope you are feeling alright. Yeah, I am being a douche.

• cofty
    cofty
    You don't know what purpose something serves, therefore it must be vestigal. Yes, yes... - DATADOG

Do some research DD - Why are we spoon-feeding you facts?

See this article for example...

Probably the most well known case of atavism is found in the whales. According to the standard phylogenetic tree, whales are known to be the descendants of terrestrial mammals that had hindlimbs. Thus, we expect the possibility that rare mutant whales might occasionally develop atavistic hindlimbs. In fact, there are many cases where whales have been found with rudimentary atavistic hindlimbs in the wild (see Figure 2.2.1; for reviews see Berzin 1972, pp. 65-67 and Hall 1984, pp. 90-93). Hindlimbs have been found in baleen whales (Sleptsov 1939), humpback whales (Andrews 1921) and in many specimens of sperm whales (Abel 1908; Berzin 1972, p. 66; Nemoto 1963; Ogawa and Kamiya 1957; Zembskii and Berzin 1961). Most of these examples are of whales with femurs, tibia, and fibulae; however, some even include feet with complete digits.

For example, Figure 2.2.1 shows the bones from the atavistic legs of a humpback whale. These bones are the remnants of one of two symmetrical hind-limbs found protruding from the ventral side of a female humpback whale, captured by a whaling ship from the Kyuquot Station near the west coast of Vancouver Island, British Columbia, in July 1919.

How about vestigal tails on humans? What purpose do they serve?

A radiogram of the sacral region of a six-year old girl with an atavistic tail. The tail was perfectly midline and protruded form the lower back as a soft appendage. The five normal sacral vertebrae are indicated in light blue and numbered; the three coccygeal tail vertebrae are indicated in light yellow. The entire coccyx (usually three or four tiny fused vertebrae) is normally the same size as the fifth sacral vertebrae. In this same study, the surgeons reported two other cases of an atavistic human tail, one with three tail vertebrae, one with five. All were benign, and only one was surgically "corrected" for cosmetic reasons

Cofty, you egg-head. You *really* expect to get anywhere with DATA-DOG?

No but there will be others who are genuinely wondering about similar questions.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

The idea that some animal decided to jump in the ocean and become a dolphin is a vast oversimplification of what happened, and that simplification can make you think the whole idea of evolution is crazy. Evolutionary change depends on small random mutations that accumulate over huge amounts of time. Not all mutations were useful, and our DNA is full of junk that serves no purpose. But some mutations were useful, enabling some critters or plants to survive and reproduce. Over immense amounts of time millions of tiny changes led to the world as it is now.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    If man evolved over hundreds of thousands of years ago, why were there only about 200-300 million people alive 2,000 years ago? Surely there'd have been many billions by then?

because man wasn't always people

in fact, it's rumored that he had to learn to be people, and not just be the animal that he was...

• Satanus
    Satanus

'our Universe was formed by 2 other Universes colliding together at some point in the remote past. The universes were compared to two hands clapping together.'

Thats cuz they were without protection, when they clapped.

S

• *lost*
    *lost*

boys, why do you all get so agressive over this. ?

I will state this clearly, so there are no misconseptions. Either way, I don't have an argument for either. Okay. I'm not here saying

''oh you scientists are all stupid, man and animals and life forms didn't evolve over millions of years and somehow miraculously chage from a tad pole into the diversity of life, animals, plants, people, etc... that we see today. Don't be stupid. GOD made it all ''

So don't immediatley assume this, anytime someone asks a question.

You all have a choice when someone asks a question, or states what they think, either talk to them about the subject, what you think, what you believe, what you learned, etc. Or don't. There is no law here that says you must. Isn't that what's great about being an advanced species, we can talk. we can converse. we can share, thoughts, ideas, thories, knowledge, tastes, experiences, etc. isn't that amazing.

Thank you to all who took the time to actually post pics etc, I love visuals. I'm not asking any of you to defend your beliefs.

Why shouldn't Torn say what she thinks ? how else is she going to evolve her knowledge. Some people are not interested in reading copious amounts of science books, nothing wrong with that.

let me ask you all this: how many of you have actually got live hands on experience 'in the field' of animals and nature?

Is all of your knowledge formed from reading books?

Have you actually gone to Uni. and completed courses/years of study ?

regards

• Twitch
    Twitch

I caught some fish once

Fed myself and another

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

It's easy - check the archeological record. Homo Sapiens have been around for ~200k years, that is established fact because you can find remains of them. Before them there were other types of the homo.

Their living conditions weren't all that great and there was a lot of competition for resources which means they died fairly often and the population curve was relatively flat. This is the normal way of nature - if rabbits populated as fast as they do and wouldn't die off by predators, disease or overpopulation, in a couple of years we'd have the earth filled with a stack of 3ft of rabbits.

Ever since we developed tools however we've been getting better at surviving, still not great but enough that we were now the dominant race and populating faster. During the industrial age we discovered better, faster tools, medicine and better methods of keeping nature at bay so now we're the proverbial rabbit that doesn't die off, we are quickly populating but people aren't dying anymore. In the middle ages you were considered old if you made it to your 30's and if you were lucky if 2 out of your 8 kids survived till 15 and you didn't die in childbirth yourself, now we live till we're 90 and only 1 in 100 people have complications during childbirth with much less fatalities - that's three times as much people alive who are all breeding much faster.

This has nothing to do with evolution though (that's a strawman argument) and more with statistics. Serious theologians admit these days that evolution happened and earth is older than 6000 years. If you still believe in that horse shit then you're pretty dumb.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit