If man evolved?

by tornapart 427 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bohm
    bohm

One word: Farming

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Another word or two: grass mutation = wheat, a few thousand years ago.

• cofty
    cofty
    I find it very hard to belief the actual evolution THEORY that a bunch of men preach as hard evidenc fact. - lost

Why?

Evolution is a fact. It is as certain that every living thing evolved over millions of years from a common ancestor as it is certain the earth is not flat.

Learning enough about the evidence to become convinced of that takes a lot of time and effort.

Why did you put the word theory in bold and uppercase? You do understand what a scientific theory is don't you? Gravity is a theory for example.

A theory is as good as it gets in science. It succinctly explains a whole raft of facts and observations.

I'm sure everybody here who loves science welcomes questions but science isn't like theology - its hard. You have to be prepared to do some work.

• sir82
    sir82
    I find it very hard to belief the actual evolution THEORY

Do you also find it hard to believe in the theory of gravity? Why or why not?

Perhaps you would do well to learn what the word "theory" really means.

Hint 1: It does not mean "conjecture".

Hint 2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory see 3rd paragraph.

• tornapart
    tornapart

LOL@DD... Love the prairie dog.. heheh

• *lost*
    *lost*

You see there you all go agian, running off and making assumptions.

I love science.

But when it comes to evolution and I read points of view peppered with the words, possibly, potentially etc to back up the arguement /agenda they are pushing, it doesn't do much for my confidence in their agenda.

Farming - lol, nope.

• cofty
    cofty

lost - the modesty shown by scientists should increase your respect for them. It is religion that makes arrogant assertions about things they don't actually know.

There is no doubt about the fact of evolution. The words you refer to are used in the context of details and things that are not yet known for certainty.

Specifically what details about evolution do you find hard to accept?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Lost,

Some of the greatest minds of our time recently figured out how our Universe was formed. While brainstorming on a train, they realized that our Universe was formed by 2 other Universes colliding together at some point in the remote past. The universes were compared to two hands clapping together. Yes, after over an hour of watching the show, that was the conclusion. Two previously existing universes collided to create our universe!

I am sure you can see the issues raised by that assumption.

I don't discount evolution, that is, the slow adaptation of a life-form over time. That is easily proven. Take a few breeds of dog into Antarctica and leave them. Those that are strong enough to survive will be those that could adapt. Their genetic strengths will be passed on to their offspring. Did they evolve? Yes. Still there are no dog's of any breed becoming anything besides dogs. However weird they may look, they are dogs.

There is no way zero proof that millions of years ago, a small mammal just decided to jump into the ocean and lived long enough to become a dolphin. That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Still, someone was given a grant over that discovery.

It's so friggin stupid it defies the imagination. Some stupid rat-like creature jumped in the ocean and survived to become a dolphin, complete with sonar?! Not only was it not immediately eaten, neither was the other dumb rat that became it's mate. Perhaphs before they died of hypothermia or were eaten by Crockosaurus, they figured out how to make diving bells.. Then their offspring lived in these diving bells long enough to mature and reproduce themselves. All the while evolving. It's so damn dumb it defies logic. Still it eliminates theology, which is the whole point.

I hate, hate, hate, organized religion. Still , that hate does not blind me to the fact that life must have had help from an outside source. I would sooner accept that life was seeded on earth, and that we were just left to fend for ourselves, than I would believe in life from lifelessness.

You don't like the idea of God, fine. Don't go to the opposite extreme out of spite. There is nothing in our day to day lives, that wasn't made by someone. Even a tooth-pick, as simple as it is was made. There is no common anscestor for all life. Different types were started by someone or something. Every experiment needs a scientist and a lab, deal with it.

• cofty
    cofty
    Those that are strong enough to survive will be those that could adapt. Their genetic strengths will be passed on to their offspring. - DATA-DOG

This is the exact opposite of evolution.

Nothing ever adapted to its environment - Its like you never read a science book written in the past 150 years.

Wouldn't it be more honest if you tried to understand what it is you reject?

Evolution is not about atheism - the vast majority of christians are honest enough to accept the evidence. It is only a tiny minority of fundamental christians and Muslims that reject it because it conflicts with their superstitious notions about the world.

Did you know the sequence of fossils showing the development of whales is one of the most impressive of all sequences? There is an embarrassment of riches of fossils that have been found in Pakistan in recent years.

How do you explain the little pelvis that whales have buried deep in their bodies?

The real evidence for common ancestry is in the genes. It is precisely the same evidence that is used to prove guilt or innocence in a court of law or settle paternity disputes. If you reject the genetic evidence for evolution you should be honest about being a luddite if you are ever asked to do jury duty.

Every living thing evolved from a common ancestor over millions of years. This is a fact that does not require your consent.

• steve2
    steve2

It's good to question and to doubt and to be skeptical - active questioning is the opposite of complacency and active questioning is the prime driver for human progress.

Tornapart raises a question that many others have wondered about. I like that we can draw upon a vast accumulation of research papers on the question.

Sure, some have reacted negatively to tornaparts question - but that's okay. Whether you favor evolution or "intelligent design" or a more agnostic stand, various sides are capable at times of making questioners feel small.

Once you get past the human reactivity, just keep asking these questions and considering the answers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit