YHWH v YHVH - yes, V not W

by *lost* 150 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    interesting point for those out there who think on the illuminat connections in the music industry.

Oh no. Not another one.

• *lost*
    *lost*

COFTY - last time now.

je-hova is the god of ruin and disaster

strongs #5753

ahvah means do perversely

hence j-ahvah or y-ahvah is a god that does perversely

ahveh meaning distorting and perverting

thus y-ahveh or j-ahveh

yahweh is the same name

means god who dstorts and perverts

deep roots among the gods of the pagan pantheons

yahweh is not the name of the true Jewish God

This name je-hova

Was invented modernly by Benedictine Gilbertus Genebrardus

between 1550-1567

as I have already stated, I do not have a stongs concordance, so I cannot research it, I haven't got that far yet.

Now in the nicest possibl way please, piss off and leave me alone.

• *lost*
    *lost*

jeffro - so are you saying that there do not exist conspiracy theories out there ? no, really, there are no conspiracy thories on this ?

and Jay-Z doesn't call himself HOVA.

he doesn't, does he. ???

James crowley never existed or wote a book then ??? no???

so, there is no book in existence written by James Crowley ???

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

I'm not saying stupid conspiracy theories don't exist. I am simply acknowledging that they are stupid.

But by all means, continue ranting if it helps.

• *lost*
    *lost*

so you think, even though, in your opinion, something is stupid, but it exists, but is shouldn't be mentioned ????

soooo funny

best not talk about wt, its stupid, or scientology, or santa.. ffs

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

*lost*, I'll go for the w rather than the v. Here's a few sources that point to waw, pronounced as w.

Waw (or wâw) : This is the sixth letter of the Hebrew alphabet, being in the shape of a hook. In the Phoenician alphabet, the angle of the hook is even more acute. Waw is frequently used as a vocalic consonant (semi-vocalic consonant: w = û, ü or ou). It corresponds closely with the English w (- double u -) rather than the v (uâu, u = w; e.g., in was, wine; Driver SW 155.178f). This applies to yahwêh, the latter having been vocalized as yahua with an audible h. In compound names it was changed to –yâhû, the final a losing its emphasis, disappearing, and ua becoming û. In early Hebrew waw was pronounced as w. In late Hebrew a w that began a word or syllable changed to y (as in the pe-waw verbs and the verb hayâ itself). See written form yehyâh (=yehwâh) of the first century (cf. yeyâ of the Tiberian Targums) as well as pronunciation yâhyâh (cf. Ia.Ia of Isidore from the 7 th century). [i]

Edward Horowitz confirms that the sound of the letter waw is not v but w, and that waw is the sixth letter of the Greek alphabet (as in Hebrew), later becoming extinct. Jews of Yemen, Arabia, preserving the most pure, accurate, and ancient pronunciation of the Hebrew language, pronounced it as the English w (e.g., was, wine) as in Arabian, a close relative of Hebrew. [ii]

N.B. Pronunciation of above letters would differ in the early consonantal text and the later, vocalized MT. Vowel letters would play an important role in the pronunciation of the CT (up to 200 CE). After full Masoretic vocalization had taken place (from ca. 700 - 1100 CE) the vowel letters would lose their significance.

[i] F. Dietrich, in a letter to F. Delitzsch. See ZAW 1883-4, pp. 2 80, 293, 298.

[ii] E . Horowitz, How the Hebrew Language Grew, 1960 edition, pp. 29, 30.

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

Strong's Concordance: "Hovah"

Hovah

The KJV Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon

Strong's Number: 01943
    Original WordWord Origin
    hwhanother form for (01942)
    Transliterated WordTDNT Entry
    HovahTWOT - 483c
    Phonetic SpellingParts of Speech
    ho-vaw' Noun Feminine
    Definition
    1. ruin, disaster
  • Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

Havvah

The NAS Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon

Strong's Number: 1942
    Original WordWord Origin
    hwwhfrom (01933)
    Transliterated WordTDNT Entry
    HavvahTWOT - 483a
    Phonetic SpellingParts of Speech
    hav-vaw' Noun Feminine
    Definition
    1. desire
      1. desire (in bad sense)
      2. chasm (fig. of destruction)
    2. Jeffro
      Jeffro

*lost*

best not talk about wt, its stupid, or scientology, or santa..

This is called 'moving the goalposts'. Those - even Santa - are actual subjects with some history (even at least as a story). You aren't talking about anything even as well established (in literary terms) as the stories about Santa. There is in fact very little support among scholars beyond fringe sources for your fanciful notions that YHWH is a character who is distinct from YHVH. Nor is it particularly interesting to anyone if you insist that you know what isn't 'god's real name', but can't actually say what you belief that name actually is, especially when the whole argument is predicated on the supposed existence of something you can't prove exists anyway.

Further, the Hebrew terms translated as hovah (Strongs 1943) and Jehovah (Strongs 3068) only have loosely related etymology from the common root of those words - hayah (Strongs 1933), which simply means to happen. It's like claiming that only mice have muscles because both words come from Latin mus and Greek mys.

3. JWB
      JWB

For those who don't have access to a copy of Strongs:

#5773 - `W`YM (ayin waw ayin yod mem)

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H5773&t=NASB

1) distorting, perverting, warping

#5753 - `WH (ayin waw he)
      http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H5753&t=NASB

1) to bend, twist, distort
      a) (Niphal) to be bent, be bowed down, be twisted, be perverted
      b) (Piel) to twist, distort
      c) (Hiphil) to do perversely
      2) to commit iniquity, do wrong, pervert
      a) (Qal) to do wrong, commit iniquity
      b) (Hiphil) to commit iniquity

#3050 - YH (yod he)

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H3050&t=NSAB

1) Jah (Jehovah in the shortened form)
      a) the proper name of the one true God
      b) used in many compounds
      1) names beginning with the letters 'Je'
      2) names ending with 'iah' or 'jah'

Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit