YHWH v YHVH - yes, V not W

by *lost* 150 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Hey you brought up swallowing not me. I didn't out my business on this topic you did. You don't swallow. Nice.

• jgnat
    jgnat

*lost*, I was never a JW. I approached the WT materials with a healthy dose of skepticism. It did not stand up. I do the same with any other theories, proclamations, extraordinary claims, and drivel that can be found on the internet. Does it stand up to scrutiny? What references are used? What does the peer community say about it?

P.S. I don't swallow, either.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

P.S.S. I don't swallow either.

• *lost*
    *lost*

jgnat - I wasn't born in or raised in it, thankfully.

So I have always had my own brain.

I Search for the facts, and ignore the shite along the way.

• jgnat
    jgnat

You do seem to embrace exotic theories without running them through some heavy scrutiny though, *lost*. Like assuming that people were healthier and lived longer on a pre-industrialized earth.

• *lost*
    *lost*

lol jgnat - not really,

I ask questions, cos I am curious as to why others think / know these things.

Then they talk about/discuss/debate their ideas, thoughts, reasons etc... everyone exchanges knowledge, everyone says their piece,

we get to sift through the evidence, and also learn a bit about people.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Here is a thought!

Why not just put the word back in its orginal language. Let people know his name the way they read it and see it. We do not need to pronounce his name or shout it but acknowledge the name as the Almighty GOD our Father in heaven. I never see any churches with the orginal name on their doors or walls are anything it out of site out of mind. I guess we follow Jesus because of the NT and it is written to talk about Jesus and that is okay.

Good job! I keep flip flopping between YHWH to YHVH know I know why. And I have not been a JW for years.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

As I believe I said earlier, (I haven't gone back and read the whole thread), it is my gut feeling that the tetragrammaton was never intended to be the "personal" name of God when first written. In later Jewish Theology it became so, they had to answer the question "Who is the God of this Land ?" for example.

Before the time of Jesus it had become the "Ineffable Name", uttered only by the High Priest in the Holy of Holies.

But nowhere do I see in the N.T any command, or even "example", that would make Christians wish to use the name.

• *lost*
    *lost*

bumped

• *lost*
    *lost*

bumped for research

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit