MUSIC - Giants of the Past V Wimps of the Present .. are kids losing out ?

by *lost* 51 Replies latest social entertainment

• *lost*
    *lost*

Chance encounter with cantleave

Re; Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden ect.

Combined with a little chat with my daughters yesterday about drink, drugs and society. ( the herb being harnless v the Shrooms ). Kids are learning about these things on the internet rather than in the social aspect.

How things have changed.

I think they have been transformed into these little complacent mallible beings by modern schooling, rules and regs.

All the girls want to look the same, (supa s8 hair ) talk the same, act the same !!! Like clones.

I think back on the 70's and 80's - wow what a difference.

Music, fashion etc.

Are there any good bands/singers out there now that have got the power and can they light a candle to the old masters.

edit to add; Can't even find Doc Martins now.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Yeah - it was much better in our day!

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

That's what every old fogey says! Actually I do agree with this. When I look at what has happened to the punk music scene. Even what has happened to Green Day. Dookie was an amazing album but they have fallen so far since then. The Clash and Ramones have been replaced with All American Rejects and Simple Plan.

Of course, rock isn't what it used to be anymore. Hard to find any bands now that can compare to bands of the 60's/70's/80's. Honestly, the only recent band that is still around that I care for is Black Keys.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Honestly, the only recent band that is still around that I care for is Black Keys

I must give them a listen!

Personally I think Muse are the best band around at the moment.

• talesin
    talesin

"lost"

Doc Martens was bought out by an American firm, and they now manufacture a pale imitation at the same high prices! Be glad you can't find them anymore,,,, I got ripped off by buying a pair of the good-for-nothing new ones; they are no longer orthopedic, different, thinner soles, even the black grommets start chipping in a few weeks... I still have my old pair with the Union Jack on them, though. :)

t

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Are there any good bands/singers out there now that have got the power and can they light a candle to the old masters?

NO...sadly it is all studio produced manufactured pop....The kids don't know what they are missing.

• flipper
    flipper

I agree. I think kids are DEFINITELY missing out now on QUALITY music as so much of the Justin Bieber, Brittney Spears influenced plastic " soft pop " is just SO shallow. My God- this music is dangerous to their mental health !

I mean you think of the musical geniuses we had in the 70's coming up- Pink Floyd, Neil Young, Rush, Led Zeppelin- from the 60's Jimi Hendrix, Beatles, Rolling Stones, I mean- come on ! - all kids have nowadays are other young kids competing on these singing shows as singers. It's what is pushed in the media- and granted there ARE some really talented singers in those showsI agree - however much of it is still shallow bubble gun pop music which I guess a lot of the masses like.

There are some really good younger artists coming up - Mumford & Sons are decent - and there are a lot of alternative bands I really like but they don't seem to make a dent in mainstream media because mainstream media is always pumping out generic easy listening pop music.

Back in the day in the early 1970's if you read about how Led Zeppelin was trying to get accepted the mainstream critics did EVERYTHING in their power o discredit Zeppelin's success ! Because they were fusing old time blues with heavier electric guitar sounds - critics dissed them because they couldn't categorize them, or define them in a neatly little fitting box so critics being pissed off about that just chose to diss Zeppelin. Because they didn't understand their music. But Zeppelin had the last laugh as they chose to put out their albums THEIR way , refusing to release the song " Stairway to Heaven " as a single so the public would hAVE to buy the Led Zeppelin 4 album in order to become familiar with Zeppelins music ! It was a way of fighting the critics back on Zeppelin's part and winning the battle about being " categorized " by public opinion. I really admired Led Zeppelin for calling their own shots and dictating to the critics and record companies themselves on how they'd run their shows and careers. I felt it was genius of them in fact. Now - they are one of the biggest selling bands of all time to this day !

So my point is ( sorry for the detour in my little bit of rock history ) is that young people are being CONDITIONED in our society by the mass media popular artists to listen to and don't dig deep enough to find the artists out there that are really great, but just still under the radar. If that makes any sense. Just my 2 cents

• flipper
    flipper

Oh yeah, I forgot to add after reading Mr Freezes take- I love the Black Keys as well ! Now THEY are a group who has hit the mainstream while sticking close to the blues / rock n' roll roots - yet continue to be popular with young as well as us older folks ! I've talked to many people my age ( 53 yrs.old ) who think Balck Keys kicks a$$ just like me . I have 4 or 5 of their CD's. They are awesome

• sir82
    sir82

Yeah it was so much better in the old days!

Sinatra, Rudy Vallee, Al Jolson...

Oh wait - were you referring to some other giants?

Sorry, with this very post you have turned into your parents.

"Kids these days, don't know what real music is! Why in my day, we had Mozart, none of this upstart Beethoven stuff! I tell you..."

• flipper
    flipper

SIR 82- LOL ! Yeah, I realize what you're sayin'. Very true. But man, I'll tell ya- when we go to visit my mid to late 80 something year old JW parents and they're watching Lawrence Welk and rocking out I can only take SO much of it ! LOL ! I mean- please. But I patronize them and watch it with them as I understand it was the music THEY grew up with too. So I guess we can cut our young people some slack here too ! I hear ya. But I still can't stand Bieber and Brittney Spears. Too plastic

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit