MUSIC - Giants of the Past V Wimps of the Present .. are kids losing out ?

by *lost* 51 Replies latest social entertainment

• soontobe
    soontobe

I think a lot of that music is great, but I guess it's in the eye of the beholder.

But familiarity plays a role too. You've heard this stuff over and over again. It often takes multiple listenings to "grok" good music.

By the way, I think Led Zep is over rated. They did more than a small amount of plagiarism in their music.

• soontobe
  • *lost*
    *lost*

awh man 70's pop was EPIC ..... lol

It's not about judging the msuic or any era, it's about sharing tastes and reliving some rocking memories.

Puppy love /bieber, lmao - I do wish peeps would cut him some slack though, my daughter told me they hacked someplace in america and flashed up he is gay, poor boy. Oh, and she was saying how he's a ....D-D-D-D-D- DRUGGY.... lmao. I said, druggy ??? he got caught with a spliff, lol. that's how we got onto the whole drugs/drink/music thing and how this post was born.

I'm so happy now, cos, the memories of all the music, even the cringey stuff is great, very uplifitng.

Lulu and take that, brilliant combo.

5 - doing queen, brilliant.

Gary glitter - was mad into his music, then he got called out as a paedo (puke) He done a version of Dr who, I loved that tune.

Bay city rollers, lol

spice girls

dallas - theme tune

Queen - flash ahaaa saviour of the universe, lmao.

Bohemian rhapsody - epic.

Disney tunes - the jungle book, lol

And the Grande master of them all has to be ..... and I dare you to listen to it and then tell me it hasn't stuck in your head .... once it's in there you can't get it out ...... it is soooo powerful, it will shift anyother tune you got stuck in your head.......

Deep Purple - SMOKE ON THE WATER.

• brinjen
    brinjen

Ahhh... Smoke On the Water. First guitar riff I ever learned. Ultra easy version... just the G & D strings over 3 frets.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

hehe we all like what we like. Giants and Wimps in every era.

• Brother of the Hawk
    Brother of the Hawk

Being a drummer myself, all my life, I miss the raw talent of yesterday, 70's 60's 50's and yes, sing sing sing. ( Benny Goodman) When I use to get to gether with friends who asked to hear a drum solo, I would break out and do sing sing sing, not only did they not recognize it, they were amazed. Boy did I fool them. But as a drummer my favorite is wipe out, the last time I performed it in front of a live audience ( about 6 years ago) We got a standing ovation. I was surprised to see that, after asking why, I was told most modern day drummers do not know how to play wipe out. How sad

Affectionately : Brother of the Hawk ( I will surrender my mind no more, forever )

• Satanus
    Satanus

Professional musicians seem to have a wider knowledge and appreciation of music than the average person. The pros even like stuff that is a different genre than what they play.

S

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Man, this thread really hit soontobe's nerve. Of course there is good music now. It just seems to me like it is harder to wade through the crap to find the gems now than it was back then.

• glenster
  • fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

There was a great series on engadget recently about the rise of iTunes and its impact on the music industry.

The 3rd (and final) article in the series contrasted the record company marketing machine/big fancy studios/long term contracts/relatively few artists given the backing needed to be heard by a wide audience model that was in play for decades, vs. now, where, as one poster noted, THERE ARE SO MANY GREAT BANDS! Oy. Like 55 trillion billion of them at last count, because the barriers to getting your music out there for public consumption have been lowered to where almost anyone with a computer can do it. The result? IMO, a un-navigable sea of mediocrity, with an endless stream of here-today-forgotten-tomorrow bands and musicians. The irony is that, in spite of the lowered barriers, music, in the sense of it being a long-term, viable career path, is as difficult to attain as ever.

I've often thought that Pearl Jam was/is the last great rock band. The digital revolution has shut the door on the idea of the larger-than-life, multi-album, long-career band.

From the article:

So it's the promised land for musicians, right? Not exactly. For many creators whose careers span the before-and-after of digital music, there is a crushing sense that the grass isn't greener after all.

[...]

Easy distribution into digital channels creates a cacophony of music noise, making it harder for any artist or band to be heard.

[...]

Technology companies have made music more democratic, without question. From a distance, it looks like the hallowed "level playing field" that new media is famous for. But close up, the level field might seem like an arid desert where musicians can trudge forever without getting anywhere.

[...]

Today's economics assign a far lower value to a stream than to a download or CD sale. Krukowski calculated that for one of his records, it would take 312,000 Pandora plays to earn one album sale.

[...]

"When audience becomes artist, the result is shit," Keen said. "New enabling technology destroys both art and art commerce. Consumers lose."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit