MUSIC - Giants of the Past V Wimps of the Present .. are kids losing out ?

by *lost* 51 Replies latest social entertainment

• *lost*
    *lost*

soontobe you have totally understood what the context and meaning of the title and discussion are all about.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Soontobe is exactly right.

Heaps of good bands and musicians around today.

The thing is though, popular music of the 60's and even 70's was nearly all good, and some of it will go down as the most influential and defining of all time. Hendrix and The Beatles...need we go on.

Popular music these days is mostly crap. But there is tonnes of great bands out there, it just seems they don't get commercial success.

• *lost*
    *lost*

yes but soontobe is not saying why he likes what he likes, what is it about them that 'does it' for him.

Led Zeppelin, I was never into their music. when can't leave mentioned them, I looked up on wiki. found out their history, stairway to heaven was written in a cottage in the welsh mountains with no electricity and no running water. how many stars today would hack that ? then I actually listened to the tune, brilliant.

Satanus

I love guitar and drums, love passionate music.

Rvierdance - you familiar with that.

I was recently introduced to paul simon's graceland. Awesome, the story around it is amazing too.

There are even a few Irish folksey types of music I'm into ( generally I hate irish diddly daddly, lol) accordian, tin whistle and bodhran, they throw out some great pieces.

Jim Donovan - Don't let me cross over, was mad about that one to once.

Most modern stars can't even sing Live. Take away the recording studio and all the glitz glamour and hype and there is little substance. My partner has worked beside them (in their dressing gowns rehearsing) and has seen the truth, lol.

Adele, amazing.

Amy Whinehouse - can't undertans what all the fuss is about there.

The Beatles were rejected initially. Lol, the guy still counts that as the biggest mistake of his life.

Tom Jones - Elvis's buddy, Elvis was amazing. Tom Jones is still a living legend who hung out with the greats. to watch him and Will.i.am working together on the same tv project, is awesome.

Eminem - 8 mile. brilliant.

soontobe - would you be willing to tell us how old you are ?

• *lost*
    *lost*

For the first time ever i have been totally disappointed with the latest Now That's what I call music compilation Now 84.

sickened I spent 20 quid on it

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I have all 84 of "Now That's What I Call Music" cds and my favourite is No. 64. I am sure it is not the quality of music but the memories those songs invoke. Happy times!

• Amelia Ashton
  • Caedes
    Caedes

I'm trying to work out if the Osmunds 'puppy love' is more or less vomit inducing than Biebers 'baby baby baby'. Both are from sickening manufactured teen 'heartthrobs' and are about as deep as a puddle of rainwater. Does the fact that one is from the seventies magically give it musical credibility? Both make me want to cut my own ears off.

Music is as diverse and interesting now as it has ever been, if you choose to judge modern music by what is in the charts then you would have to judge music from previous generations by the same criteria. Every great artist or track out there is standing out from a sea of mediocrity, and that is before you start to think about the fact that most artists have low and high points to their career.

So if you want to start with some musical giants of the seventies, how about the village people? That track 'Macho man' really stands out as a shining example of the songwriters craft.

• soontobe
    soontobe
    I'm trying to work out if the Osmunds 'puppy love' is more or less vomit inducing than Biebers 'baby baby baby'. Both are from sickening manufactured teen 'heartthrobs' and are about as deep as a puddle of rainwater. Does the fact that one is from the seventies magically give it musical credibility? Both make me want to cut my own ears off.
    Music is as diverse and interesting now as it has ever been, if you choose to judge modern music by what is in the charts then you would have to judge music from previous generations by the same criteria. Every great artist or track out there is standing out from a sea of mediocrity, and that is before you start to think about the fact that most artists have low and high points to their career.
    So if you want to start with some musical giants of the seventies, how about the village people? That track 'Macho man' really stands out as a shining example of the songwriters craft.

Great point, Caedes. No one remembers that 70s crap. They remember the good stuff. There's a lot of selective memory at work.

• soontobe
    soontobe
    soontobe - would you be willing to tell us how old you are ?

• Satanus
    Satanus

This thread reminds that there was a lot of crap during the 60's and 70's, like there is a lot, today. Where is the great stuff, today? I checked out a few from soontobe's list, and 4 of those groups all sounded the same. The 60-70's had the great ledzep, ccr (credence clearwater revival, for those who haven't heard of them), beatles and rolling stones to name just a few. Some stuff from those guys is crap, for sure. Where is the great stuff from today that matches w those guys' great stuff and other great stuff from the day?

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit