MUSIC - Giants of the Past V Wimps of the Present .. are kids losing out ?

by *lost* 51 Replies latest social entertainment

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

Good musicians rarely get a recording contract now. It is mostly middle-of-the-road tripe. You need to go to clubs or indie labels to find most of the talent.

zed

• flipper
    flipper

I might add- at least my 28 year old son loves Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, etc. So I feel our generations music has more lasting power than some of this generic stuff coming up ! LOL ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Satanus
    Satanus

It seems that kids consume and bond w whatever music is put in front of them. We were lucky that we just happened to be there when musical creativity was on a high. 'Course, i could be biased.

S

• Giordano
    Giordano

The first Woodstock! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ4QF45Vygw a 3 minute introduction to another era.

Follow up with Santana's Soul Sacrifice, The Airplane's White Rabbit, Joe Cocker's With a little Help From My Friends.

This is a short montage of images from the Woodstock Festival held from August 15th to August 18th of 1969 in Bethel, New York. Max Yasgur graciously allowed the use of his 600 acre dairy farm for the massive three day event. Woodstock of 1969 is widely considered to be one of the defining moments in rock music history. It was a gathering of over half a million people of all ages with one common purpose: to experience peace, love, and music.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yah, woodstock - a pivotal happening, not just in music, but in culture, democracy and civilization.

S

• Jomavrick
    Jomavrick

I know everyone has thier favorites for different reasons, but personally I think the greatest decade of music was the 70's by far,,,,

• Giordano
    Giordano

Well the people that got their start in the 1960's really had it together in the 1970's. So your right. They also raised the bar for those that came after........you couldn't just fake play your guitar like Elvis...... you had to know how to play it and sound original.

• Satanus
    Satanus

The 70's music field saw the maturation of the 60's music. It was a kind of plateau. After that, it was disintegration and loss of direction in music.

S

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Yeah music has fallen hard. But there are always bright spots. Justin Timberlake is a poor mans Michael Jackson. But MJ was denounced as a bringer of doom musically when he came out in the late 70's. Even thought his music is well written, complex, and represents incredible collaborations.

I second the black keys. Everything they touch is amazing. Of course part of that is because they "sound old". Al Jolson was great, but D'Angelo is back with a new album this year. He is an R and B living legend. All of the Black Keys contemporaries are great as well. The White Stripes are amazing. Jack White is a modern rock genius. The Hives and Strokes are a step down but also really good.

There is some decent hip hop. The Roots are always fantastic.

There is still some good stuff out there, but it just isn't on the radio.

• Caedes
    Caedes

Good grief you're right grandad, there is nobody making cool and interesting music anymore. I always like to watch top of the pops from the sixties and seventies when they are repeated, it is astonishing that the amount of crap in the charts is an unchanging constant. put your rose tinted specs on and all you can remember is led zeppelin and pink floyd.

Muse, yeah yeah yeahs, goldfrapp, sigur ros, massive attack, the smiths, my bloody valentine, the chills, the chameleons, mew, battles, william orbit, the bird and the bee, belle and sebastien, editors, engineers, gorillaz, kasabian, ladytron, arctic monkeys, godspeed you! black emperor, fleet foxes, the eels, death in vegas, bloc party, the stone roses, pulp, automata, elbow, the streets, mogwai, mercury rev, the dears, tunng, stereolab, faithless, spiritualized, stars, mansun, portishead, the raconteurs. (just a short excerpt from my current playlist not including the pink floyd and zep of course!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit