MUSIC - Giants of the Past V Wimps of the Present .. are kids losing out ?

by *lost* 51 Replies latest social entertainment

• therevealer
    therevealer

I think it has all become so confusing. Used to be you knew who you were and what YOU liked. Now with the over-lapping generations everything is topsy-turvy. It becomes soooo difficult to see where the devides are. Everything gets fused together. Or not.

• *lost*
    *lost*

big thumbs up to u all.

It's got nothing to do with age, it's all about quality, culture, substance. Kids today are growing up in plastic land. plastic musci, plastic telly programs. mass brain washing.

I also think a lot of it has to do with what your exposed to growing up. parents passing on the knowledge to their kids.

I have divers music tastes ranging from through a lot of genres, some really good powerful pieces of classical music (excalibur theme - oh fortuna), motown, reggaes, pop, rock, metal. Even some of the modern manufactured songs.

It's the tune that get me, not so much the words. I lean more toward powerful music.

Beatles, UB 40, Fleetwood mac, Kate bush, Pit Bull, Eminem, Bob marley, blondie. tina Turner. michael Jackson, ya can't deny he was a genius.

Survivor, eye of the tiger, Rocky. Brilliant.

Back in the day they had to work for it, mostly they wrote the songs themselves.

Tal, thanks for info on docs, another casualty of this modern world.

• soontobe
    soontobe
    MUSIC - Giants of the Past V Wimps of the Present .. are kids losing out ?

Stupidest thread title ever. Music is as good as, if not better than, it has ever been.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Clearly, Justin Bieber is the rock god of the 21st Century. No way Robert Plant could hold a candle to him!

• soontobe
    soontobe

"Music these days sucks!" "It's so confusing!"

JUSTIN BIEBER! (as if every period didn't have shitty popular artists)

This thread is chock full of close minded, over the hill, old farts. You are all stuck on the music of your youth. That's sort of natural, because it ties into your formative experiences....but realize that.

The music these days is GREAT! It's probably better than it has been in 30 years.

On my playlist right now:

Silversun Pickups

Electric Guest

Civil Twilight

Zulu WInter

The Strokes

Middle Class Rut

Julian Casablancas

Grouplove

Kings of Leon

Black Keys

Foals

Miami Horror

Fuse

Justice

MillionYoung

Born Ruffians

STRFKR

Niki and the Dove

Grimes

Imagine Dragons

Artctic Monkeys

Young the Giant

The Killers

Passion Pit

The Hours

Here We Go Magic

And there's so much more good recent music out there...it's CONFUSING because it is an EMBARASSMENT OF RICHES! Lots of fantastic Indie bands.

The Grammy's this year had several great artists performing, by the way. fun. Lumineers. Mumford and sons. Etc.

• brinjen
    brinjen

I don't really agree with the title too much. True, there was a lot of great music around in the 80's which I still love, especially with the Aussie bands (INXS, Icehouse, Hoodoo Gurus, Do Re Mi, Eurogliders, Divinyls etc) but that's my opinion. There is still a lot of great music around today... Green Day are still great (though I do agree that A Simple Plan are not the same band today as they were during the days of their 'Still Not Getting Any' album, they've evolved into something that just doesn't appeal to me anymore).

There's still P!nk... she's just awesome. The Living End, Eskimo Joe, Foo Fighters etc. There was plenty of mind numbing, brainless music around in pretty much any era also...

• soontobe
    soontobe
    It seems that kids consume and bond w whatever music is put in front of them. We were lucky that we just happened to be there when musical creativity was on a high. 'Course, i could be biased.

Yep. You are. You bonded with the music of that time, because that was the music of your time. Doesn't necessarily make it better, though.

• glenster
    glenster

It's always been complained, I suppose because it's easier to remember the
    favorites of a past period than wade through the current batch to find them. It
    doesn't help that popular music is mostly a youth market which is less experi-
    enced.

In the early 1900's, popular music wasn't as serious as classical music. In
    the late '50's-60's, mainly more conservative older types and acoustic jazz fans
    complained (you used to have to know how to play an instrument). George Martin
    once wrote that many older people first heard the melodic sensibility of the
    Beatles with "Yesterday" because the instrumentation had the acoustic sounds
    they were familiar with.

In the 70's, people complained that music started to seem more produced and
    processed--drum machines, etc. The sounds haven't changed much since but that
    makes it easy to detect regurgitated formulas. Some new sounds like vocoders
    beg for complaint.

At the other extreme are the trendy fans. Sydney Harris once wrote that
    they're ironically the most dated: they restrict their favorites to a narrow
    band of the latest dates.

• brinjen
    brinjen

Quote from Guitar Jim from around 1948 I believe... "When I was playing in clubs I used to have distortion, feedback and the audiences used to love it. I told Leonard Chess we should get that sound on record, but he just told me "ain't nobody gonna buy that noise, man"".

Can be now filed under 'Famous Wrong Calls in History'. Every generation brings their own ideas of what's art and what's entertainment... they are constantly evolving.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I checked out civil twilight, mc rut, silversun pickups, the strokes and zulu winter. I played a few songs off each album. I would listen to more of the strokes and maybe, zulu winter. Thanks for the recommendations.

I'm always on the lookout for cool music. I'm partial to guitar. A while ago i downloaded a bunch of brazilian music. It was very precise and jazzlike. Quite good. I also have a few hundred of hindu origin. Surprisingly, they have some very upbeat and unique sounds, not necesarily all of the twangy hindu style. There was some hindu 'fusion'. There is arabic rai, which is like their folk music. Spanish guitar can be really nice. Shakira has an amazing variety of styles. I like how she mixes in a bit of the arabic on the precision of the beats. Reflects her own mixed race. African tribal drumming - another dimension. Native american - spiritual. I'm in the box and outside the box. I even have some recordings of the electromagnetic flux going on around the earth. Some of it is similar to some whale song. Wonder where whales got their songs. Also, some recordings of electro sun activity.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit