My Final Goodbye

by Lady Lee 216 Replies latest forum announcements

• still thinking
  • steve2
    steve2

Mind Blown - I could be mistaken, but don't think Ive responded lately to anything you' ve posted so I'm not quite following your comments to me. I'm not attempting to get a "rise" out of you.Mamochan13 has come late to this discussion but well articulates the views of many who have come forward and questioned the OP. None of what Ive read constitutes "hate";sharp differences of opinion, yes; hate, no.

• mind blown
    mind blown

- "I also acknowledge that not everyone saw her OP as negative. I did - and I "own" that as an opinion, even though that has been construed by at least one poster as "proof" I am "a control freak"

Is there anyone else who called you a control freak.....?

We all screw up one time or another. Just easier to hide them behind a computer screen.......isn't it......

I've beaten this dead horse (thread) long enough. I'm embarrassed for myself. The end.

• mind blown
    mind blown

Ok.......now I'm really really REALLLLLYYYYYY done.......

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200909/why-shrinks-have-problems

Sure, Freud was peculiar, and, yes, I'd heard that Jung had had a nervous breakdown. But I'd always assumed that—rumors to the contrary notwithstanding;—mental health professionals were probably fairly healthy.

Turns out I was wrong.

Doctor, Are You Feeling Okay?

Mental health professionals are, in general, a fairly crazy lot—at least as troubled as the general population. This may sound depressing, but, as you'll see, having crazy shrinks around is not in itself a serious problem. In fact, some experts believe that therapists who have suffered in certain ways may be the very best therapists we have.

The problem is that mental health professionals—particularly psychologists—do a poor job of monitoring their own mental health problems and those of their colleagues. In fact, the main responsibility for spotting an impaired therapist seems to fall on the patient, who presumably has his or her own problems to deal with. That's just nuts.

Therapists struggling with marital problems, alcoholism, substance abuse, depression, and so on don't function very well as therapists, so we can't just ignore their distress. And ironically, with just a few exceptions, mental health professionals have access to relatively few resources when they most need assistance. The questions, then, are these: How can clients be protected—and how can troubled therapists be helped?

The Odd Treating the Id

Here's a theory that's not so crazy: Maybe people enter the mental health field because they have a history of psychological difficulties. Perhaps they're trying to understand or overcome their own problems, which would give us a pool of therapists who are a hit unusual to begin with. That alone could account for the image of the Crazy Shrink.

Of the many prominent psychotherapists I've interviewed in recent months, only one admitted that he had entered the profession because of personal problems. But most felt this was a common occurrence. In fact, the idea that therapy is a haven for the psychologically wounded is as old as the profession itself. Freud himself asserted that childhood loss was the underlying cause of an adult's desire to help others. And Freud's daughter, Anna, herself a prominent psychoanalyst, once said, "The most sophisticated defense mechanism I ever encountered was becoming a psychotherapist." So it's only appropriate that John Fromson, M.D., director of a Massachusetts program for impaired physicians, describes the mental health field as one in which "the odd care for the id." He chuckled as he said this, but, as Freud claimed, humor is often a mask for disturbing truths.

• steve2
    steve2

Nightie night Mind Blown. A raw nerve has been mutually hit. Best.

• mind blown
  • *lost*
    *lost*

mamochen very well presented.

Mind blown.

I object to hearing the term 'crazy'. it is the exact stigma which binds people in their despair and makes them afraid to seek help, as they will be labeled 'crazies'.

Fortunately a lot of work has been done to reduce that stigma of 'crazy'.

As one who suffered a mental breakdown, I never was, nor never will be 'crazy'. People use the term as a method of bullying and degeneration, thus trapping people in an isolated experience of fear.

Winston churchill was not crazy.

Stephen Fry is not crazy.

There are countless others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit