Constructive feedback for AAWA leadership (IMHO)

by besty 141 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

You are quoting he wrong person, Ty.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

Thnx..SBF. Edited.

• Simon
    Simon

There seems to be this notion floating around that JWN is just full of 'haters' who want to bring the AAWA down but nothing could be further from the truth.

JWN has allowed people to have a say and voice their opinion which I think is incredibly important and there has been some excellent advice on what to do and warnings when they were necessary and promised by the AAWA (but sadly never seemed to materialize).

We have been tough on the AAWA only when they appear to have refused to do anything about the problems and at times the frustrations from trying to get answers has boiled over into anger which I think has often been justified. The AAWA should have been asking people if their concerns had been addressed, not telling them that they had been. Great customer service doesn't mean you get everything right 100% first time, but it does mean when you make a mistake you deal with it quickly and make sure the customer is happy. Treat mistakes as opportunities to excel and demonstrate how good you can respond to things, not as an attack that needs you to batton down the hatches.

Sure, we could all of us "go ask the nice AAWA people directly" as you suggest. Really? You think everyone having to have the same questions answered individually is the right solution and isn't just wasting time? I hope the AAWA have better things to do. That is why people use the internet - to communicate quickly and efficiently with lots of people, not answering them each individually.

Now whether these questions are posted by us or not, people still have them and the AAWA if it is going to succeed needs to do a much better job at communicating and answering people's questions because they are inevitable. I'm not suggesting they respond to insults but I think the questions people have asked are damn important and I personally need to have answers to them if I'm to offer the AAWA my support because this is serious and dealing with people's lives.

They should have a set of real FAQs on their website, not the self-serving fake ones like "How are you people so awesome?" but ones that answer serious concerns that anyone who is intelligent and not just some overenthusiastic zealot would be thinking before they get involved:

• Can I trust you people?
    • How can I make sure I am not accidentially 'outed' to my family or congregation?
    • What safeguards do you have in place to protect my information?
    • Will my information be shared by anyone outside of the AAWA?
    • How do you vet volunteers to ensure the safely of victims?
    • etc...

This is really pretty basic PR / corporate communication and I don't think we're not 'giving the AAWA a chance' by insisting they do things correctly. We're pushing them to be better but it seems always being told to shut-up and called names.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

You are and have been fair in your posts regarding AAWA Simon. I hope to see many of the same issues you raise resolved.

Your questions.

• Can I trust you people?
  • Trust no one. AAWA is an activist oriented group. If you can not agree to the mission statement that is an indication it has trust issues for you.

• How can I make sure I am not accidentially 'outed' to my family or congregation?
  • If you are a member only another member will be able to "out" you. Log out of Facebook if you are in danger of family seeing your FB account.

• What safeguards do you have in place to protect my information?
  • Information or details that you have allowed on Facebook will only be viewable by group members that are also your "friend" on Facebook.

• Will my information be shared by anyone outside of the AAWA?
  • If someone is "outside" of AAWA, they can not see your information.

• How do you vet volunteers to ensure the safely of victims?
  • Review of their activism before AAWA, questionaire, referrences, phonecall.

These are in no way AAWA's official responses. They are only how I would answer for the sake of discussion.

• trujw
    trujw

I don't know Marvin said I needed to gain cedars trust first then maybe maybe he would talk to me. Again how can an avatar be the president of an organization that I should send money too and volunteer my time. I just don't get it.

• Angharad
    Angharad
    What safeguards do you have in place to protect my information?
    Information or details that you have allowed on Facebook will only be viewable by group members that are also your "friend" on Facebook.\

Is that correct? It seems counter to what facebook say - if someone joins the group can't other members of the group see the person as a member?

Will my information be shared by anyone outside of the AAWA?
    If someone is "outside" of AAWA, they can not see your information.

Define 'outside' and 'member'. Will it be shared with other volunteers? These things need to be clear. The boundary of what the AAWA 'is' needs to be clear both for the AAWA company, the volunteers and people coming to them. I'm sure there are potential important liability issues, especially in the land-of-the-lawyers.

(by Simon, couldn't be bothered logging Angharad off)

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

Is that correct? It seems counter to what facebook say - if someone joins the group can't other members of the group see the person as a member?

If I am not "friends" with a member of the group, I can not see anything but what they have allowed in their settings. Usually their personal pages are locked up tight. I can see their Profile Picture and Name. Everything else is not accessible. Some users allow their info page and friends list to be seen by "friends of friends". In this case members of the AAWA group will be able to see these items that have been set open by the Facebook User. AAWA has been giving instructions on how to review personal settings and how tight privacy can be achieved through the Facebook User Settings.

Define 'outside' and 'member'. Will it be shared with other volunteers? These things need to be clear. The boundary of what the AAWA 'is' needs to be clear both for the AAWA company, the volunteers and people coming to them. I'm sure there are potential important liability issues, especially in the land-of-the-lawyers.

Member: You have been cleared by AAWA Administration through the protocols mentioned above and are shown on Membership Tab. You can see and interact with everyone on the members list on the AAWA group page, however if you are not "friends" with another member you will not be able to see their personal Facebook page unless thier own privacy settings have allowed for non "friends" to see it. Your personal page is either set to "only me", "private", "friends of friends", and "friends only"

Outside: TO ME, this means someone who has not been granted entry into the secret AAWA group. They can see absolutely nothing. Not members, not that they joined, not that they posted, etc. etc.

• brinjen
    brinjen

Member: You have been cleared by AAWA Administration through the protocols mentioned above and are shown on Membership Tab. You can see and interact with everyone on the members list on the AAWA group page, however if you are not "friends" with another member you will not be able to see their personal Facebook page unless thier own privacy settings have allowed for non "friends" to see it. Your personal page is either set to "only me", "private", "friends of friends", and "friends only"

The problem with Facebook though is none of that is an absolute guarantee. They can change the privacy settings and re-set everything without even any notification of doing so.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

Brinjen said:

The problem with Facebook though is none of that is an absolute guarantee. They can change the privacy settings and re-set everything without even any notification of doing so.

Absolutely correct. Administators have a control panel and it is literally a click of the button and verification and the page could go wide open. Likewise, each Facebook user could inadvertently make adjustments to their personal security settings and their private page could go wide open. Finally, even Facebook itself has made blunders in security and reset privacy settings and added features that compromise a users privacy.

Facebook is risky. I believe that has been covered in abundance on this very forum.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    Absolutely correct. Administators have a control panel and it is literally a click of the button and verification and the page could go wide open. Likewise, each Facebook user could inadvertently make adjustments to their personal security settings and their private page could go wide open. Finally, even Facebook itself has made blunders in security and reset privacy settings and added features that compromise a users privacy.

AAWA Administrators can screw up..

Individual AAWA Posters can screw up..FaceBook Administration can screw up..

Three accidents waiting to happen,over and over..

With no one In Charge of AAWA Security..

That has to be addressed,it can`t be ignored..

If FaceBook can`t be properly Secured for AAWA Members..

AAWA needs to find a new Forum..

........................ photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit