July 15th Study Edition Is Up..

by confusedteenager 108 Replies latest jw friends

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

PTEREST - Yes!!!! OCTOMOM!!!!. . . . . . . Evidently, you have very keen spiritual discernment!!!!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

FrankWTower: On paragraph 16 on page 18 of the third article, the second sentence states (about C.T. Russell and the first bible students): "These loyal men and women exposed false doctrines and spread spitirual truths."

Great point! So what exactly were those "spiritual truths" that Russell and his loyal associates were spreading?

I just found this thread from about a year ago that tossed around this question :

I waded through it and have distilled these comments made by several posters on that thread:

Evidently, there are only two beliefs that JWs have maintained from Russell's time until now:

1. Soul Sleep, taken from the Second Adventists, which has two sub-beliefs:

• No Hell
    • No Immortality of the Soul

2. Gentile Times ended in 1914 which came from:

• An idea advanced by John Aquila Brown in 1823
    • Expanded upon in the 1830s by a farmer named William Miller
    • Later tweaked by Apollos Hale and Sylvester Bliss, (whoever they were)
    • Exposed as false in 1840 by John Dowling, (whoever he was)
    • Reworked by Second Adventists, such as Barbour after 1844
    • Then finally take over by Charles Taze Russell as an End-Times prophecy, with the Gentile times expected to herald the conclusion of Armageddon, not the beginning of the Last Days.

The conclusion of the matter then, all things being heard, is that practically EVERYTHING taught in Russell's time has been since discarded except two basic beliefs, one of which he got from another religion and the other conceived of and then twisted and mangled by a bunch of unqualified, self-appointed delusional crackpots!

Of these two remaining beliefs, the evidence is clear that the second is fantasy and the first is, from our perspective as living human beings, completely unverifiable either way.

So again, what exactly were those "spiritual truths" that Russell and his loyal associates were spreading? They could only be the ideas of Soul Sleep (no Hell and no Immortality of the Soul) and that the Gentile Times ended in 1914.

It should be noted that 1914 shouldn't really be included on this very short list. As noted in the last bullet point about the Gentile Times, what Russell and the early Bible Students believed about 1914 is completely different from what Witnesses believe today.

So essentially all that's left is that when you die, you are dead. That's it: the end. It's over. You're gone: Finis, sayonara, adios, hasta luego, see ya'! Isn't that a wonderful spiritual truth to be spreading door-to-door?

JW at a door. [Cheerily]: "Hi, good morning! I'm here to spread the Word of God today. Did you know that when you die, you're dead?"

Householder. [Angrily]: "Get the fuck off my porch you lunatic!"

And hell, (pun intended) JWs are not the only ones that believe that. As pointed out, that particular belief came from the Second Adventists. Come to think of it, that's what athiests believe too!

Curiouser and curioser ...

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Does the cover have this on it?

back·ped·al (bkpdl) . To retreat or withdraw from a position or attitude

Per
  • steve2
    steve2

Christ was so very impressed when he inspected the hearts of the remaining directors of the Watchtower Society in 1919 that he immediately directed one of them -the Judge - to formulate a stunning new prophecy that "millions now living would never die".

The 1925 teaching was Rutherford's own special Baby whom he raised, loved and diapered. But sadly, when his Baby was 5 or 6 years old, it was tossed out of his father's house for badly embarrassing the Judge.

However, let us still praise Jehovah for empowering Christ to direct the ramblings truths given to Judge Rutherford and his fellow directors - especially those first truths about 1925. With such a promising start with this prophecy, the faithful and discrete slave wasted no time, seizing many opportunities to give birth to, raise and then dump a succession of wayward babies. It would be unloving and disrespectful of Christ to accuse these sincere Christians of being evil; instead we need to remind ourselves they were - and still are - faithful and discreet.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I think they are trying to elimate names or individuals as "the faithful and discreet slave", they are trying to shift this to be completely organizational. The ORGANIZATION was selected as God's, therefore, responsible anointed ones serving at the location of the Organizaion or corporate headquarters, have acted as a faithful and discreet slave. So technically, God didn't CHOOSE Rutherford, he chose the Watch Tower organization, Rutherford just happened to be the head idiot in charge at the time of the choosing.

They specify that the current members of the GB are not considered one of the F&DS, it is when they act as a group, the arrangement is the F&DS.

• SAHS
    SAHS

The reason, as I see it, that the Faithful and Discreet Slave no longer comprises just one member, such as a president, but, rather, the Governing Body working as a group is to avoid any responsibility or culpability of any one single individual. This is called "diffusion of responsibility."

Moreover, by the Faithful and Discreet Slave NOT any longer including the anointed class as a whole but, rather, comprising exclusively just the Governing Body itself is that it can achieve more power and control; i.e., not having to share it with the general anointed class by having to consider their input.

So they can sort of have it both ways now. No one can point the finger to any one single individual person, BUT that mighty current group of eight still gets to share, just among themselves, all the power and glory which up until fairly recently had been bestowed on the entire anointed Faithful and Descreet Slave as a class.

• watson
    watson

I think a couple of other "truths" that the Org has now that Russell spread are that "Jehovah is God" and "Jesus is his Son". Maybe no "Hell Fire".

• designs
    designs

'But if you carrying pictures of chairman Mao

you ain't gonna make it with anyone anyhow' John Lennon Revolution

Aren't you glad these guys are putting this in writing, I tell you after the study in 1995 on the new 'generation' light the congregations were on fire. We had the CO that week and right after the Wt. study he was swamped and couldn't make sense of it either.

• twinkle toes
    twinkle toes

It's GOLD Jerry, GOLD!!!!!

tt

• cha ching
    cha ching

Pterist: haha!!! loooove it!!! "OCTO-MOM"!!!

.... HaaaHaaa!!!!!! a little cheer in the day

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit