He Is Risen, the axial component of christianity

by designs 66 Replies latest social current

• Ding
    Ding

The oral eyewitness accounts of the resurrection no doubt preceded the written.

These accounts must have circulated shortly after the death of Jesus, or how did the church get off the ground and how were there Christians in Rome in the first century for Nero to persecute?

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

I am going to an Easter service tomorrow because that's what they are doing at my church. Now, we all know that "Easter" is a pagan celebration to worship Esther or whatever, but, I say, if it leads someone to put their faith in Jesus, then maybe it's not so bad. I myself repented of my sins on Easter...after I heard a detailed explanation of how Jesus died and I felt ashamed of how I had been living my life and was going to make sure to live my life from now on being appreciative and serving God and Jesus, not myself!!

• barry
    barry

He is risen indeed

• prologos
    prologos

ding: you said the disciples saw themselfs as part of a noble religious cause: yes and

such beliefs can take on a life of their own with glorious delusions, which are not ouright lies, but strongly entrenched mental and emotional constructs.

It happens in the political arena too, Hitlers followers fanaticism, Emperor devotion in Japan, now NK.

All respect for the devotees, fervor has its own rewards, but

that is all.

pride comes before the fall.

• Sulla
    Sulla

lol I was giving it my best shot. Over a period of a couple of years, post JW, I met with the pastors of the local Baptist Church, who really was a nice guyand well educated, the pastor of the Assembly Of God, who was scary as hell, and the Presbyterians. Plus my time in Synagogue.

Well, you certainly engaged a wide spectrum of viewpoints. Assembly of God? Really? I went to our local Evangelical Bible church around five times. I actually thought the people there were too nice: didn't trust 'em. To explain what I mean, you'd have to understand that part of Atlanta: these were people who were used to drawing with two outs and hitting it on the river. That kind of person always wants to invite you over for a cook out.

EP: Why? Have their preachers finally out-paced the world champs, Catholics, at boinking little kids and lying about it?

Ep, you really are a nasty piece of shit, aren't you?

• designs
    designs

Now in the JW calendar if Memorial was Tuesday night when would the resurrection have occured.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

The wts is the only religion I ever got close enough to put my faith in. I had decided to join (i just changed my mind before I actually did join).

As I said, you were never a JW. In any event, if you identify as a Christian, you ARE part of a religion whether you realize that or not.

Ep, you really are a nasty piece of shit, aren't you?

You must be looking in a mirror.

• designs
    designs

Now where is moshe as our resident referee

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Paul hit the nail on the head when he said: "1Co 15:13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, not even Christ has been raised; 14 and if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith also is vain. 15 Moreover we are even found to be false witnesses of God, because we testified against God that He raised Christ, whom He did not raise, if in fact the dead are not raised. 16 For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised; 17 and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. 19 If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied.

What I would like to ask those who doubt Christ's resurrection is; What is your hope? Or what is you hope about?

• soontobe
    soontobe

It was standing room only this morning. It was wonderful to hear Handel's hallelujah chorus.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit