He Is Risen, the axial component of christianity

by designs 66 Replies latest social current

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

Will you attend some Sunrise Service or other Easter Service.

No.

What pros and cons about the Resurrection and subsequent sightings of Jesus caused you to become a Believer or a non-Believer.

Jesus and the resurrection myth have nothing to do with my becoming an atheist. There's no definitive proof that there even was a Jesus, let alone the actions he is alleged to have done.

The larger issue is the utter unreliability of the Bible as a source of truth. There are a few nice-sounding snippets here and there, but nothing other cultures haven't produced, often earlier than the shaky dates the Bible books are supposed to have been composed.

• Sulla
    Sulla

I'll leave you to your besties on this one, designs. Though I will say, hanging out a Calvary chapel for any period of time should turn most people atheist.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Thank you Designs.

• designs
    designs

lol I was giving it my best shot. Over a period of a couple of years, post JW, I met with the pastors of the local Baptist Church, who really was a nice guyand well educated, the pastor of the Assembly Of God, who was scary as hell, and the Presbyterians. Plus my time in Synagogue.

• prologos
    prologos

people die, so at least it is natural, believable memorable, to remember Jesus' certain death, but

The story of a true resurrection, patterned after a 3+1/2 days, normally fatal encounter with super "Jaws", stretches the imagination, with due respect for believers.

people were not only willing to suffer as victims as the early christians for the faith in the resurrection did, but

other fanatics sought death actively in defense of what they thought was a noble, but knew was a lost cause. so:

sacrifice is no proof of authenticity.

What a beautiful time to be alive, as the southern hemisphere goes into autumn.

• Ding
    Ding

Is this an accurate summary of the anti-resurrection views advanced so far?

1. There is no definitive proof that Jesus ever existed. (Return of Parakeet)

2. Jesus may or may not have existed (as one person or a composite character) but was no more divine than anyone else. (QueenWitch)

3. Jesus existed, was executed, and his body was disposed of in a long since forgotten mass grave in Palestine. (Cofty)

4. Jesus existed lived to about age 80, died, and was buried with Mary in Kashmir. (Maisha)

5. When Jesus died, his disciples knew that all was lost, but they concocted a story about seeing him risen from the dead (based on the story of Jonah and the fish) and willingly died proclaiming what they knew was a lie in order to be a part of a noble religious cause. (Prologos)

• designs
    designs

Ding- I think another aspect for the anti-belief and non-belief individuals is the Eschaton (Return of Christ, End of the world) not happening. Having been trained to sit on the edge of our seats for so many years in expectation it becomes an issue when we begin to question our faith base.

• tec
    tec

Will you attend some Sunrise Service or other Easter Service.

No. I do not belong to any particular church or sect or denomination, but I can still rejoice in Him, wherever I might happen to be.

What pros and cons about the Resurrection and subsequent sightings of Jesus caused you to become a Believer or a non-Believer.

The truth and love in His teachings (word and deed), as well as His presence (in spirit) caused me to love Him, and also to follow Him.

I (and all those who belong to Him) could not hear His voice... if there was no resurrection. Since I and others do hear and follow Him, then I would say that for US, that is a 'pro' of the resurrection ;)

Peace to you,

tammy

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

For me, one of the most persuasive arguments in favor of the historicity of Jesus' resurrection is that, unlike most adherents to a religion, Jesus' original disciples were in a position to KNOW whether he rose from the dead or not.

How do you know this?

Though I will say, hanging out a Calvary chapel for any period of time should turn most people atheist.

Why? Have their preachers finally out-paced the world champs, Catholics, at boinking little kids and lying about it?

No. I do not belong to any particular church or sect or denomination, but I can still rejoice in Him, wherever I might happen to be.

Yet you wen't to a KH to drink the wine and nibble the cracker. Interesting.

• Ding
    Ding

EntirelyPossible,

The original disciples claimed to be eyewitnesses to Jesus' resurrection.

They knew whether they saw him or whether they made the story up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit