I've been studying for about a year now...

by Meow921 161 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Meow921
    Meow921

Hello Everyone,
    I just needed some time to think and cool down a bit before I posted another reply. Tonight I plan on asking the ones I've been studying with some serious questions. I'll let you know what their reply and my response was. You have all given me much to think about. I know that the bottom line is that it is my decision, and luckily so far, I haven't been asked to be babtized yet. I'm not sure what I would say. It seems that there is equal info on either side of the fence. I need to think some more, and check out some more posts. I've checked out other churches/religions in my area, and no one seems to teach the Bible except the JW's. So I dunno. I'll ask the ???'s and I'll let you know what happens. Thank you so much for all of your help. I'll keep looking and checking posts.

• Will Power
    Will Power

Hi Meow
    There are plenty of university courses that study the bible. Their approach is not biased and gain knowledge from a variety of reliable and respected sources.
    Studying with the witness is a dead end. You will not be any closer to God that you were last week, they don't allow it, the seats are all taken.
    You wouldn't want to end up like you know.

will

• SYN
    SYN

Well, good luck. It ain't gonna be easy, that I can assure you.

In fact, there is over a 99% chance that after tonight you will be ostracized as an Apostate. Have fun! Don't let the Dubs bite...

I'm sure glad we don't vote anymore like we did before we got the truth. Now we get to complain about everything ALL the politicians do!
    [SYN], UADA - Unseen Apostate Directorate, Africa

• LB
    LB
    I've checked out other churches/religions in my area, and no one seems to teach the Bible except the JW's.

Don't count on them actually using the bible either. It's mostly based on watchtower publications don't you think?

I remember doing my studies and wondering how on earth a certain scripture backed up a point the book was trying to make. It just didn't make sense to me and I'm so sorry I ignored my instincts.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• TheStar
    TheStar

Meow,

Thanks for letting us know your thoughts.

I've checked out other churches/religions in my area, and no one seems to teach the Bible except the JW's. So I dunno.
    This is exactly why I said in my first post to you that the Watchtower has created probably one of the most clever religious scams to ever exist. You see it seems they are the only religion teaching from the bible but it is not truth from the bible they teach. They only use the bible to twist and contrive what it is really saying in order that you may come to believe their teachings.

Other religions are orthodox and they are not going to study the bible with you like JWs do (although pastors of other religions may take the time to help you with a certain issues) because it is up to you to do the research and to come up with your own conclusions. In other words they respect and encourage you to think for yourself.

The opposite would be a cult religion that wants to control your mind and your life. Only by controling you will is this religion survive. So they will "teach" from the bible their version of truth, absolute truth, as if absolute truth existed. This is the biggest fallicy of all. People looking for absolute truth get easily sucked in because that is what they are so desperately looking for, I know I definately was. The real shocker was when I realized that not any one religion has absolute truth and that God DOES NOT soley approve of only ONE religion. If the JW religion allowed you to think for yourself and come to your own conclusions and decide for yourself based upon your own conscience and understanding, there would be no JW religion. Controling people's lives is the only way for a cult religion to survive.

Someone mentioned taking a theology course at a University. You will learn much more about God, the bible and religion at a University than you ever will studying with JWs.

Before I mentioned reading up on cults and mind control. Please do try to take some time out to do this, a quick search on google is all it takes. And please do some searches on this site as well and the other sites mentioned by others. Continue to ask us questions here, we're glad to help.

• Fire Dragon
    Fire Dragon

Hey Meow, I got this from another thread.

ANYHEW, on this site, http://www.jwfiles.com/ , you'll find all the cans and can'ts of being a JW. I've cut and pasted them. Enjoy!

BECOME A JW and you can't
    Celebrate Mother's Day
    Celebrate Father's Day
    Celebrate Grandparent's Day
    Celebrate Birthdays
    Celebrate Thanksgiving
    Celebrate New Year's Day
    Celebrate Christmas
    Celebrate Halloween
    Celebrate Easter
    Celebrate Flag Day
    Celebrate Independence Day (Fourth of July)
    Celebrate Hanukkah
    Celebrate St. Patrick's Day
    Celebrate Valentine's Day
    Celebrate "Any" Holiday
    Sing any Holiday Songs
    Eat turkey on Thanksgiving
    Join the Boy Scouts
    Join the Girl Scouts
    Buy Girl Scout Cookies
    Become a Cheerleader
    Attend class reunions (No "Worldly" association)
    Go to the school prom
    Play School Sports (No competition allowed)
    Play Professional Sports
    Join any organization that has ties to Christianity
    Shop at the Salvation Army
    Volunteer for the Salvation Army
    Shop at Church run thrift stores
    Shop at Church Garage Sales
    Shop at any Store that has Christian ties
    Contribute to the Red Cross
    Join the YMCA
    Join the Military
    Attend Alcoholics Anonymous
    Salute the Flag
    Sing the National Anthem
    Go to War
    Learn karate
    Vote (Conscience matter now to please Governments, you will be ostracized if you do)
    Run for any Public Office
    Campaign for a Candidate
    Can join union, but not participate in its affairs
    Buy lottery tickets
    Gamble
    Date without supervision - young or old
    Watch R rated movies
    Cannot work on another Church if it's a regular customer
    Smoke cigarettes, pipes or a cigars
    Sell cigarettes, pipes or a cigars
    Accept Blood
    Donate Blood
    Wear blue jeans or casual clothes to the Kingdom Hall
    Wear pants to the Kingdom Hall if you are a female
    Wear skirts or dresses that are above the knee at any time
    Wear any type of long hair if you are a man
    Wear a beard in some Kingdom Halls and areas (judged hard)
    Pierce ears if male, other body parts if female
    Have any Tattoos
    Say curse words
    Toast drinks (pagan origin)
    Throw rice at a wedding (pagan origin)
    Say "Bless You" when someone sneezes
    Say "Good Luck!", "Wish me Luck", "I was Lucky" or "You were Lucky"
    Tell ghost stories
    Practice Yoga
    Own a Smurf
    Watch TV shows, "Sabrina, the Teenage Witch", "Touched by an Angel", or "Bewitched"
    Say "It was fate" or mention anything to do with "fate"
    Engage in any risky acts such as: Sky Diving, Bungie Jumping & Hang Gliding
    Have Jesus as your Mediator and Savior
    Wear or own a Cross
    Attend another Church (Spiritual Fornication)
    Associate on a regular basis with nonbelievers
    Associate with ex-members
    Associate with disfellowshipped ones
    Talk with disfellowshipped ones
    Marry a nonbeliever (If you do, you are judged hard by the congregation)
    Marry in another Church or attend a wedding in another Church
    Have a funeral in another Church or attend a funeral in another Church
    Pray, including holding your head down, when a nonbeliever prays
    Study other religious articles not from the Society
    Read negative information about the Society
    Question the Watchtower Society on anything
    Exercise your on conscience if it goes against the religion
    Question Anything!
    Have Christian freedom
    If you are a woman you can't pray in the presence of men, without a covering on your head

Become a Jehovah's Witness and you shouldn't....
    .... if you do you will be looked down upon

Discuss politics
    Get on the Internet
    Attend social functions organized by your place of work
    Associate with worldly neighbors
    Attend College (The Society has lightened up on this somewhat, but if you attend you are not putting Kingdom interests first, and will be judged.)

Become a Jehovah's Witness and you have to....

Attend several regular meetings each week
    Go out in field service regularly to recruit new members
    Report your field service activity to the congregation each month
    Attend regular scheduled conventions
    Give talks at the congregation (whether young or old, male or female)
    Read and fully understand their teachings
    Prepare for each meeting
    Study with family
    Fully accept the Watchtower's authority and rules (no exceptions)
    Dress according to their rules at the Kingdom Halls, Service and conventions (no exceptions)

Women and small girls must wear dresses
    Men must wear dress pants with dress shirts and ties

Associate only with fellow members
    Report on fellow members including your family, if they are caught doing something against Society's rules
    You have to sing at the meetings (even if you have a bad voice) - or you are looked down upon

"...if there is a hell, I'll see you there." (NIN - Downward Spiral)
    I'll be the one providing the fire.

• Nemesis
    Nemesis

Hi Meow,

Here is some advice straight from the Watchtower's literature:

No matter how sincerely you may feel that you too have the truth, have you compared the teachings of your church with the “holy writings,” the Bible, to see if they agree with it? Is your religion the same as Timothy’s, as Paul’s, as that of Jesus? What if, after making an honest investigation, you found that your religion were no longer holding fast to the original Christianity taught by Jesus Christ? Would you not reasonably make a change? In fact, if, after learning for a certainty that your present religion did not please God, you did not make a change, would not this be a sin in itself? The holy writings tell us: “ If one knows how to do what is right and yet does not do it, it is a sin for him.”—Jas. 4:17. Many sincere persons have made such an honest investigation and have taken the big step of changing their religion. As you compare their experiences with what you yourself have observed in your religion, it may help you make an honest appraisal of your way of worship. We sincerely hope it will.” (Watchtower 1970, 1 Oct. p. 581)

The Catholic Church occupies a very significant position in the world and claims to be the way of salvation for hundreds of millions of people. Any organization that assumes that position should be willing to submit to scrutiny and criticism. All who criticize have the obligation to be truthful in presenting the facts and fair and objective in assessing such. In both respects we try to live up to that obligation.—ED.” (Awake! 22 August 1984, p. 28)

Therefore, how will you respond when pointed statements are made about false religious teachings and corrupt practices? Will you immediately condemn the person or organization making the exposé? Do you feel it is all right to teach lies and misrepresent God’s Word, but wrong to expose the error? Contrary to what some may think, it is not unkind and unloving to lay bare falsehood and corruption… Therefore, it is right and proper to speak out strongly against falsehood and corruption. A person or organization that, in imitation of Jesus Christ, has the courage to do so deserves attention and respect. (Watchtower 1966, 1 March, p. 132)

We need to examine, not only what we personally believe, but also what is taught by any religious organization with which we may be associated. Are its teachings in full harmony with God’s Word, or are they based on the traditions of men? If we are lovers of the truth, there is nothing to fear from such an examination. It should be the sincere desire of every one of us to learn what God’s will is for us, and then to do it.—John 8:32. (The Truth That Leads to Eternal Life 1968 & 1981 p.13)

IF YOU were on trial in a court of law, would it be fair if only your opponent was allowed to present evidence? No, you would surely want the court to hear your side of the matter… Reasonable persons agree that the only fair method is to examine the evidence on both sides, both for and against a disputed theory. That is how one arrives at the truth. (Awake! 1973, 22 October, p. 6)

WHAT results when a lie is let go unchallenged? Does not silence help the lie to pass as truth, to have freer sway to influence many, perhaps to their serious harm? …WHAT results when a lie is let go unchallenged? Does not silence help the lie to pass as truth, to have freer sway to influence many, perhaps to their serious harm? (Watchtower 1973, 15 January, p. 15)

Knowing these things, what will you do? It is obvious that the true God, who is himself “the God of truth” and who hates lies, will not look with favor on persons who cling to organizations that teach falsehood. (Psalm 31:5; Proverbs 6:16-19; Revelation 21:8) And, really, would you want to be even associated with a religion that had not been honest with you?” (Is This Life All There Is? 1974, p. 46)

• Bang
    Bang

Meow,
    If you're researching into what sort of bible experts they are - try this one on for starters - and You Know, as you've no problem handling anthing thrown at you, bat away.

What does this mean ?

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

Are the heavens the space and the stars etc?
    Or, are the heavens those mentioned in "caught up to the third heaven".
    Or, are they rooms of the Father's house, or something else that I haven't mentioned.
    And, what does the "In the beginning" mean anyway ?
    Is it 'at the start',
    Or is it within Christ (Alpha & Omega).

Surely the JWs have 'laid out' an explain of the first sentence.
    I'd like to hear it.

That could be a healthy questioning - only a sentence, hardly a 'mentally diseased' obsessive disorder.

• termite 35
    termite 35

Youknow;the name of your CO please; I need to communicate with him via this issue; I was ostracised for showing people threads from here, I need a CO to back me up on this issue that now makes even the ones who spoke to me, ignore me.
    Due to your insistance that you are doing nothing your congregation would disaprove of;I will now start an educational programme in my area,based on enlightening the JW youth in the importance of the internet;citing your experiences as my motivation.I appologise for thinking this activity was banned,I have much to learn.

• Nowhere
    Nowhere

Who is this "you know" guy? He doesn't sound like any witness I know. I'm not a witness myself, but my sister is, and a lot of my friends are. I respect them because they are very fine human beings, even if I don't share their believes.
    But this has to be a joke? Tell me he's not a witness...

And to you Meow921: do you know how the witnesses can be so sure on the year 1914, when time itself isn't absolute?

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts. - Albert Einstein

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit