I've been studying for about a year now...

by Meow921 161 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Meow921
    Meow921

Hello,
    I've been studying with the JW's for about a year now. I know that by nature (or nurture!) I have an addictive personality so I have tried to be real careful that I'm doing the right thing by getting involved with them. So far, so much has made sense to me, in the studies. They have never asked for money and haven't guilted me for not attending all the meetings. I do think that it's a little wierd that the congregation is mostly people that are at least 30 years older than me! I guess I'm just wondering why so many people have had bad experiences, or why so many think that the JW's are wrong, and are controlling. I haven't seen any of this and I'm searching for opinions.......

• apostate man
    apostate man

OOOH Boy, so much to say. I'll keep it short.

They probably have not told you everything. Look at the founder of this "Religion", look at the changes that have been made, look at the old material that they don't want you to see. Anything and everything in the Bible can be perceived at least two ways. Alot of what they teach is not scriptual. Add this to a doctrine such as their blood doctrine(which is changing as we speak)and you get nothing but a CULT.

Ask if its true that Russell used pyramids to come up with dates, ask if the Judge said that millions living in the 1920's would never die. Ask what will be different once you are "baptized".

Ask them to show you proof that Jesus returned in 1914. Ask them to show you that Jehovah picked them to be the "slave".

Ask them if you can be "saved", using all of their beleifs, but not be part of the organization.

Better yet, find the answers to all of those questions here. I also recommend http://quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com/ .

The JW's are VERY believable. I ask this, Have you ever been a member of a religion? What got you involved with these people?

Break the chains that bind you,
    unless, of course, you're into that sort of thing.
  • Bang
    Bang

You should ask yourself deep down "Why am I studying with them?"
    What's the purpose - is it so you can help your fellow man ? How ?

In all their righteousness, will they show you that they give one of their two shirts to he who has none, or barely not even a spare one, or only to their own ?

You'll know them by their fruit, the doctrines and stuff come later, after you're sure.

So examine the fruit (the works) - it's not like they won't have any, they will. But how does it taste?
    Is it how they are, humble (but when did I do that), or does it taste of pride (see our deeds, how we are).

Bang

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

recommended reading:

'Crises of Conscience'by Ray Franz, former Governing Body member. (The top o' the heap) Yes, he was an ex-Witness at the time he WROTE/PUBLISHED the book; but 99% of its contents were assembled WHILE he was still a Witness. Public library may have it.

'Gentile Times Revisited', by Carl Olaf Jonsson. Same scenario as Ray Franz; Carl was an ex-Witness at the time of the book's publishing, but 99% of its contents were assembled while he was still a Witness.

'Visions of Glory' by Barbara Grizutti Harrison. She was a Witness, never disfellowshipped or officially disassociated. It is available online for free at www.freeminds.org.

recommended online viewing:

www.silentlambs.org run by a current Jehovah's Witness.
    www.ajwrb.org Witness or ex-witness, can't remember which.

There are plenty more. But that should get you started. Give a yell when you are ready for more.

edited: 'Gentile Times Reconsidered' (sorry)

UADNA-US (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America-United States)

• GWEEDO
    GWEEDO
    I do think that it's a little wierd that the congregation is mostly people that are at least 30 years older than me!

take a hint

• Angharad
    Angharad

Welcome Meow

I recommend that you research very carefully what they are telling you. There are loads of great sites on the internet to do this, there are some links at the bottom of the page. Also be aware that if you mentioned your research to the person studying with you, they will try to put you off it by telling you it apostate lies, so be careful what you say to them about it.

• You Know
    You Know

One of the spiritual pitfalls you are up against is kindly outlined for you in God's word in the 2nd chapter of 2 Peter as well as in the letter of Jude. You should carefully read 2 Peter 2:17-19. In part it says: "For they utter swelling expressions of no profit, and by the desires of the flesh and by loose habits they intice those who are just escaping from people who conduct themselves in error. While they are promising them freedom, they themselves are existing as slave of corruption. For whoever is overcome by another is enslaved by this one."

That exactly describes those who are apostate Jehovah's Witnesses. Think about it. They want you to have the impression that they are freedom fighters who are trying to save you from being sucked into a devilish cult. Yet your own observations of the organization tell you that such is not the case. They "utter swelling expressions of no profit" because they only pretend to have some special insight into the truth and they desperately want to plant a seed of doubt in your mind in order to wreck your spirituality. However, just as the Scripture says that they entice others through the "desires of the flesh and by loose habits" it is a fact that many if not most of the posters on this board are extremely immoral. Many are drug users, drunkards, and fornicators, homosexuals and perverts. And if they are not they at least support and encourage those who are and congratulate anyone who flauts decency and morality. From Jehovah's standpoint they are mere unreasoning animalistic beasts. That's why verse 22 likens them to dogs that have returned to lapping up their own vomit.

The reason that you are so vulnerable is because of your inexperience in these matters. You are as the scripture says: "just escaping from people who conduct themselves in error." So, there are a lot of things that you don't know, and apostates want to take advantage of your spiritual weakness to try and lure you into their trap. The demons know that it is much harder to entrap those who have years of experince in dealing with the matters of the spirit. You would be wise not to listen to apostate Jehovah's Witnesses until you are really firm in the faith and confident of who Jehovah is and what He is up to.

/ You Know

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

I am an active JW. This week, I will have opportunity to teach the congregation. It will be very hard for me, because after 40 years in the "Organization", I now know the truth.

You see, it's this way. If you are at all interested in the "truth", ("truth" as opposed to the "lie") then you will probably study with us. And after a long while, the "truth"("truth" as opposed to the "lie") will start to matter to you. But alas, you will be stuck in "the truth" (JW "organization") and you will suddenly see the difference between "truth" ("truth" as opposed to the "lie") and "the truth" (JW "organization") and you will begin to understand what everyone was talking about when they were telling you to learn the "truth" about "the truth".

Now.... I am trying desperately to get out. But they don't make it easy. You will lose everyone and everything you have.

Don't believe it?? Then join! And we'll see you back here in about 15-20 years, lamenting about your wasted years.

If you care about "truth", then stay away from my religion.

PS. Compare Romans 14:7-9 in the New WOrld Translation to other bibles, say for instance the Living English Trans. See if you can pick it out. See if it matters.

After all, if it doesn't matter, then join the Catholic church. They have some "the truth" too. But cover your ass either way...

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

All I can say is take some time to research what you are involving yourself with. Do you really think anyone would join a group that appeared harmful? You only find out many things gradually after many years have been invested. There is an easy way and a hard way but either way you will come to the same conclusions.

There is no need to rush into anything. Take your time. Keep an open mind and look for answers from a variety of sources. Don't just accept everything from them without asking yourself, Does this make sense?

In the end it is your choice and it is your life.

Path

PS.. Is that cat Fred Hall studying with you Meow921? (sorry)

• You Know
    You Know

Bible Examiner says:

Don't believe it?? Then join! And we'll see you back here in about 15-20 years, lamenting about your wasted years.

Is that so? I have been one of Jehovah's Witnesses for over 25 years and I don't feel that any of it has been wasted years. But, if you feel that you know the real truth about Jehovah and that Jehovah's Witnesses don't have the truth, then you should by all means stand up for what you think is true. Your continuing to lurk among us only pretending to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses is not an admirable thing to do and gives evidence that you are in reality a very weak-minded and cowardly individual who would rather live a lie than stand up for his convictions. Why should anyone give any credence to the jaundiced opinions of such spineless individuals? / You Know

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit