How many former Jehovah's Witnesses bury their head in the sand when it comes to reasoning about the NGO "conspiracy"?

by Change Name 130 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• trujw
    trujw

Maybe Changename found out that with watchtower the truth is nothing but a changedname for a lie.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

I don't think we will se anything more from "Change Name" in this thread. Topics like this one often/always ends up in a disaster for JW-apologists.

Amelia; was the Swaggart case about money/paying taxes? I remeber something happened just before the society started to give away litterature for free.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Just an observation/question, the U.K newspaper The Guardian broke the story in October 2001. The Watchtower "explaining" the NGO memebership of the U.N came out at about the same time ??

There was also a letter to Elders telling them how to lie about it if questioned.

"The Truth is not something you have to lie about."

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Phizzy

SD-7,

I agree that it may not be as bad as other things they have done. Still it was wrong. What was God's true channel doing? Like Phizzy said, why the letter to the BOE, telling them to lie? Where is the true repentence from the WTBTS leaders? Since when do we excuse outright lying, just because it's not as bad as some other lies they told in the past? I just add this to their laundry list of sins against God.

• krejames
    krejames

Is there a copy of the letter to the BOEs available to verify they were asked to lie?

• jhine
    jhine

please post a copy if you have one of this letter , it would also be applicable to the thread about Witnesses not having to divulge everything (ie lie ) if the situation warrents .I said on that thread that Witnesses should consider how much information they were entitled to on a need to know basis , but this would seem to take that one step further.

• Fernando
    Fernando

How many current Jehovah's Witnesses bury their head in the sand when it comes to reasoning about the "full Good News" or "unabridged gospel" being in their publications, but not in their hearts or on their lips?

(Why does the "true religion" secretly blind its followers to the "Good News" according to Paul, Moses, Isaiah and Psalms?)
  • Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Without researching it as far as I can recall Jimmy Swaggart was taken to court regarding taxes on the religious literature he sold and his defense was funded by The watchtower Society.

That in itself is an oddity but when the case was lost a change to "donations only" for literature became Jehovah's latest loving provision for his servants as donations were not subject to tax the way payments are!

My beef was that they didn't admit the true reason they changed to donations only.

Why hide the fact it was because of a lost court case and it was to avoid taxes on mags and books etc.?

Why make out it was "new light" beneficial for every-one especially poor people bla blah and vomit inducing more blah!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Phizzy says ...

" The Truth is not something you have to lie about."

But is if your running a bogus religious publishing house, most of what goes comes out of these religious organizations is usually lies wrapped in

bow tie of "Truth"

This is how god's publishing house works and his specially chosen and anointed head bullshitters. .... its the Christian thing to do.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Phizzy: There was also a letter to Elders telling them how to lie about it if questioned.

I was serving as an elder in the US at the time. I do not recall such a letter. Does anyone have a copy or a link?

Although it was not long after that I went on-line to research this issue. This was one of the first things that woke me up to TTATT.

Amelia Ashton: Without researching it as far as I can recall Jimmy Swaggart was taken to court regarding taxes on the religious literature he sold and his defense was funded by The watchtower Society.

It's been a while, so I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but as I recall the WTBTS filed an amicus curiae brief (a friend of the court) in this matter. That would not be the same as funding Swaggart's defense. Do you have any references to anything that substantiates your comment?

I think it was pretty clear to any JWs at the time that the move to a "voluntary donation" arrangement was to avoid paying taxes. But it did have the benefit of making the religion appear more religious and less commercial.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit