The ten most embarrassing scriptures for Jehovah's Witnesses

by slimboyfat 95 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

Here's a couple:

Matthew 10:28: "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell."

Luke 16:19-31: "There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores. "The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'

"But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.'

"He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment. Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.' "‘No, father Abraham,' he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.' "He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.'"

According to the WT, the bible does not teach about any afterlife (except for the blessed 144,000), but since this parable was apparently told before Jesus died and involved an Old Testament character (who they say is only entitled to an earthly resurrection) they do not have a reasonable explanation for it and will generally avoid it like the plague.

• Mary
    Mary

Here's a couple more:

Deuteronomy 14:21:

"YOU must not eat any body [already] dead. To the alien resident who is inside your gates you may give it, and he must eat it; or there may be a selling of it to a foreigner, because you are a holy people to Jehovah your God....

So I guess the law against eating unbled meat wasn't binding on the entire human race after all.......

Luke 24:39: "See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself; handle me, and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have."

But because this would screw up one of their central doctrines, the WT insists that Jesus didn't know what he was talking about---he was raised a spirit whether he liked it or not.

• fiddler
    fiddler

This one was always an enigma to me until after I left the religion and read some of The Book of Enoch. It is definitely not a scripture that the GB wants anyone researching I'm sure! I couldn't find any word of it in the NWT index........had to google it.

2 Corinthians 12: 1 - 4
    I have to boast. It is not beneficial; but I shall pass on to supernatural visions and revelations of [the] Lord. 2 I know a man in union with Christ who, fourteen years ago ~ whether in the body I do not know, or out of the body I do not know; God knows ~ was caught away as such to the third heaven. 3 Yes, I know such a man ~ whether in the body or apart from the body, I do not know, God knows ~ 4 that he was caught away into paradise and heard unutterable words which it is not lawful for a man to speak.
    NWT

What?! Supernatural visions! Out of body experiences!!

The whole thing about 'boasting' about this also seemed strange EXCEPT for if The Book of Enoch was part of the sacred scriptures back then and the account of Enoch having almost the identical experience was common knowledge for most Jews.

• Ancientofdays
    Ancientofdays

This one may create some trouble to "lovely" Circuit Oversees ...

2 Thessalonians 3:1–18 :

11 For we hear certain ones are walking disorderly among ? YOU , not working at all but meddling with what does not concern them.
    12 To such persons we give the order and exhortation in [the] Lord Jesus Christ that by working with quietness they should eat food
    they themselves earn.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Matthew 10:28 is a good one.

2 Thess 2 is good but requires some explanation.

• BroMac
    BroMac

Acts 11:25,26

25+ So he went off to Tarsus to make a thorough search for Saul 26+ and, after he found him, he brought him to Antioch. It thus came about that for a whole year they gathered together with them in the congregation and taught quite a crowd, and it was first in Antioch that the disciples were by divine providence called Christians.

By divine providence were called Christians.. Who told Rutherford to change this divine providence? Was that the same person who told him to.build a mansion in San Diego for Abraham David Jacob Solomon and others who would be ressurected on earth, the Ancient Worthies @ Heb 11?

• carla
    carla

marking

• mP
    mP

Theres also the scripture that says sick people arent allowed in the temple of Jehovah. There goes the sick and the old who are often sick.

• stillin
    stillin

One of my favorites is in 2Kings 5. Naaman has been cured of his leprosy and goes back to Elisha as a believer in Jehovah, but he is concerned that when he gets back to his home, part of his job is to take his master into a house of worship of the god Rimmon.in verse 18 he says that he is actually expected to BOW before Rimmon along with his master. Does Elisha say "quit your job" or "stay here and pioneer" or get out of Babylon the great?" No, he says, basically, don't worry about it, Jehovah is big enough to forgive you that!

but the witnesses won't even go to the church funerals of their own parents because they think they will be contaminated somehow.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Good one, stillin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit