The ten most embarrassing scriptures for Jehovah's Witnesses

by slimboyfat 95 Replies latest jw friends

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Zechariah 12:10
    "And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and supplication. They will look on me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for him as one grieves for a firstborn son. (NIV)

To avoid what seems to be a piercing of Jehovah some of the later Hebrew manuscripts read “look upon him whom they have pierced”, rather than “look upon me whom they have pierced”. At first these late Jewish manuscripts show this in the Keri, or corrected reading in the margin; but eventually in some manuscripts the change was brought up into the body of the text itself. Rotherham’s translation, on the basis of these late manuscripts, offers in a footnote “him” as an acceptable reading in place of “me”. So does the American Standard Version. Some modern translations, such as Moffatt and An American Translation and Revised Standard Version, use “him” instead of “me” in the main body of the text itself. However, the oldest and best Hebrew manuscripts read “me” rather than “him”.
    Watchtower August 15, 1953

Zechariah 12:10
    “And I will pour out upon the house of David and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem the spirit of favor and entreaties, and they will certainly look to the One whom they pierced through, and they will certainly wail over Him as in the wailing over an only [son]; and there will be a bitter lamentation over him as when there is bitter lamentation over the firstborn [son]. (NWT)

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Psalms 102:25 Long ago you laid the foundations of the earth itself, And the heavens are the work of your hands. 26 They themselves will perish, but you yourself will keep standing; And just like a garment they will all of them wear out. Just like clothing you will replace them, and they will finish their turn.

How can we live forever on a paradise earth if it is to perish?

• Londo111
    Londo111

In regard Psalms 102--the writer of Hebrews applies it to Jesus (something extractor eluded to).

In a different vein: Jeremiah 25:12 shows that the 70 years ended in 539 BC, making 607 BC impossible (and by extension 1914).

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Song of Solomon 2:3 Like an apple tree among the trees of the forest, so is my dear one among the sons. His shade I have passionately desired, and there I have sat down, and his fruit has been sweet to my palate.

Why does the Watchtower consider some expressions of sexual intimacy a sin in contrast to this description in the Song of Solomon?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Matthew 18:17 If he does not listen to them, speak to the congregation. If he does not listen even to the congregation, let him be to you just as a man of the nations and as a tax collector.

Jesus said unsettled disputes should be taken to the congregation. The Watchtower says they should be taken to the elders.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Has anyone else got some good examples?

• extractor
    extractor

Col. 1:15 (NWT) He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; because by means of him all [X] things were created in the heavens and upon the earth,

Is.44:24 (NWT) This is what Jehovah has said, your Repurchaser and the Former of you from the belly: “I, Jehovah, am doing everything, stretching out the heavens by myself, laying out the earth. Who was with me?

Apparently, Jesus was with him, and he also did it by himself. There’s only one way that is possible.

• mP
    mP

I wonder why everybody goes into details about jesus divinity and yet nobody questions whether the gospels actually say this ?

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Marking

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

There is so much win here in this thread!

Others have mentioned it, but Luke 21:8 is the one for me. One short scripture all on its own with Jeseus own words show that you should not be one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit