The ten most embarrassing scriptures for Jehovah's Witnesses

by slimboyfat 95 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

AnnOMally what are the best scriptures for showing the 1914/607 chronology is wrong?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I think the best starter one that may cause a JW's mental lightbulb to flicker into life - even momentarily - is Jer. 29:10 in the NWT.

“For this is what Jehovah has said, ‘In accord with the fulfilling of seventy years at Babylon I shall turn my attention to YOU people, and I will establish toward YOU my good word in bringing YOU back to this place.’

If Jeremiah was writing to the exiles taken 10 years before Jerusalem was due to be destroyed (see 29:1f.), and Jehovah was telling them they would be 'at Babylon' 70 years, how come they were actually there 80 years (617-537 BCE). Why did Jehovah let them think they would return home 10 years earlier than they in fact did?

The other Scriptures need expounding on and linking together to see the whole.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Thank you AnnOMaly,

As you may suspect, I love COJ's book The Gentile Times Reconsidered, but I have always struggled with the biblical part in his book, I have even "shunned" that section for a while. You just caused my own "mental lightbulb to flicker into life". No more shunning.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Are there any good scriptures that clearly contradict congregation practices, such as the ministry, elder arrangement, study format, pioneering or whatever?

• Ancientofdays
    Ancientofdays

what about 1 Cor 4:3–5 vs. judical comitee ?

3 Now to me it is a very trivial matter that I should be examined by ? YOU ? or by a human tribunal. Even I do not examine myself. 4 For I am not conscious of anything against myself. Yet by this I am not proved righteous, but he that examines me is Jehovah. 5 Hence do not judge anything before the due time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring the secret things of darkness to light and make the counsels of the hearts manifest, and then each one will have his praise come to him from God.

• Emery
    Emery

The organization has inserted their own ideas within the verse of Hebrews 10:25 "Do not give up meeting together". The context is of Christian fellowship, not scheduled indoctrination sessions at lecture halls 2,000 years later. Such meetings are not necessary for holy spirit or for God's direction according to Jesus' promise found in the gospel of Matthew.

Matthew 18:20- "For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them."

Matthew 28:20- "... And remember, I am with you each and every day until the end of the age."

To say anything contrary to this is to call Jesus a liar, which the WT often does.

• Aurelius
    Aurelius

Scripture confirming that it is OK to pray to Jesus

Acts 7:59 - And they went on casting stones at Stephen as he made appeal and said: “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.”

Scripture confirming that you do not have to be associated with the WTB&TS to gain salvation

Acts 16:30 ,31 - And he brought them outside and said: “Sirs, what must I do to get saved?” They said: “Believe on the Lord Jesus and you will get saved, you and your household.”

The scriptures are sufficient enough for teaching

Acts 4:6 - “Do not go beyond the things that are written,”

Scriptures which can be used to reject Jesus invisible return in 1914

Matthew 24: 23-27 -
    Then if anyone says to ? YOU , ‘Look! Here is the Christ,’ or, ‘There!’ do not believe it. 24 For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will give great signs and wonders so as to mislead, if possible, even the chosen ones. 25 Look! I have forewarned ? YOU . 26 Therefore, if people say to ? YOU , ‘Look! He is in the wilderness,’ do not go out; ‘Look! He is in the inner chambers,’ do not believe it. 27 For just as the lightning comes out of eastern parts and shines over to western parts, so the presence of the Son of man will be.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I am finding it difficult to think of any more good examples.

• mP
    mP

Job 38:32, or is 22 dont read it in the NWT try any other bible.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I am collecting verses from the NWT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit