The ten most embarrassing scriptures for Jehovah's Witnesses

by slimboyfat 95 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

1. Mark 7:15 "There is nothing from outside a man that passes into him that can defile him; but the things that issue forth out of a man are the things that defile a man.”

So how can eating black pudding or having a blood transfusion be a sin?

2. Roman 14:5 One [man] judges one day as above another; another [man] judges one day as others; let each one be convinced in his own mind.

So how come they say birthdays and festivals are a sin?

3. Matthew 8:11 But I tell YOU that many from eastern parts and western parts will come and recline at the table with Abraham and Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of the heavens.

This verse hardly requires comment. (And the Watchtower rarely has!)

4. Ephesians 2:8, 9 By his underserved kindness, indeed, YOU have been saved through faith; and this is not owing to YOU, it is God's gift. No, it is not owing to works, in order that no man should have ground for boasting.

So why are they always threatening people that they will die at Armageddon unless they try harder?

5. Acts 4:12 Furthermore, there is no salvation in anyone else, for there is not another name under heaven which has been given among men by which we must get saved.

Huh? What name is that talking about there? Jehovah, surely! Jesus the Nazarene? Come again?

6. Revelation 20:5 (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection.

This verse is wrong because the Watchtower says so. The rest of the dead are resurrected before the end of the thousand years. How come? Just because the Watchtower says so okay!

7. 1 Corinthians 16:22 If anyone has no affection for the Lord, let him be accursed. O our Lord, come!

How come the first century Christians could speak directly to Jesus?

8. John 20:28 In answer Thomas said to him: "My Lord and my God!"

Would any Witness ever call Jesus "my Lord and my God"?

9. 2 Kings 2:24 Finally he turned behind him, and saw them and called down evil upon them in the name of Jehovah. Then two she-bears came out from the woods and went tearing to pieces forty-two children of their number.

Another verse that hardly requires comment, and is rationalised away whenever mentioned in the Watchtower.

10. Deauteronomy 28:30 You will become engaged to a woman, but another man will rape her. You will build a house, but another man will dwell in it. You will plant a vineyard, but you will not begin to use it.

A malediction for the disobedience of the Israelites to God is that their wives would be raped, and other articles of their property appropriated. A charming aspect of the OT Jehovah that is seldom spelled out in full.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

You could add that whole passage about the guy who fed his concubine to a lecherous crowd then, after she dropped dead on the doorstep, he cut her up and sent the body parts to different parts of the country. That's messed up.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Slimboyfat

Great post. I will use it to explain that the Bible serves to defend the idea that the sky is whatever color you want. In other words, pretty useless.

Cobaltcake,

I know litttle about the Bible, where do I find that

• Darth Rutherford
    Darth Rutherford

Great list! You may also want to consider Luke 21:8, "He said: 'Look out that you are not misled; for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, 'I am he,' and, 'The due time has approached.' Do not go after them.'"

I have yet to meet a Witness who can exclude the WT from that verse.

• designs
    designs

Happy Memorial season.

• blondie
    blondie

Here's the WTS explanation for Mt 8:11

*** it-1 p. 1247 Jacob ***

Jesus, on one occasion, used the name Jacob figuratively when speaking of those who would be “in the kingdom of the heavens.”—Mt 8:11.

*** w62 3/15 pp. 191-192 Questions From Readers ***

How can Matthew 8:11, which speaks of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of the heavens, be harmonized with Matthew 11:11, which indicates that not even John the Baptist will be in it?

In Hebrews 11:8-19 we read: “By faith Abraham . . . dwelt in tents with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the very same promise. For he was awaiting the city having real foundations, the builder and creator of which city is God. . . . But now they are reaching out for a better place, that is, one belonging to heaven. Hence God is not ashamed of them, to be called upon as their God, for he has made a city ready for them. By faith Abraham, when he was tested, as good as offered up Isaac . . . But he reckoned that God was able to raise him up even from the dead; and from there he did receive him also in an illustrative way.”

How did Abraham expect to receive Isaac back from the dead? In heaven as a spirit? No, but here on earth as a human creature. In an illustrative way he got Isaac back from the dead here on earth. So Abraham was not looking for any spiritual, heavenly resurrection to put him among the celestial angels any more than he was expecting Isaac to have such a resurrection and rejoin him in heaven.

Abraham had come out of Ur of the Chaldeans, and he did not want that city any more. He and his son Isaac and grandson Jacob wanted a better place, that is, one belonging to heaven, a city government, namely, the government or city that God has prepared and in which the promised Seed or Offspring of Abraham will be God’s King. This is the “kingdom of God,” or “the kingdom of the heavens,” as these two expressions are interchangeable, the expression “the heavens” having reference to God. Under that kingdom of the heavens or kingdom of God Abraham, Isaac and Jacob expected to live on earth.

In the year 30 (A.D.) Jesus told Nicodemus that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were not in heaven. (John 3:13) Three years later, on the day of Pentecost of the year 33, the apostle Peter said that the descendant of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, namely, King David, had not ascended to heaven and so was not in any kingdom of the heavens or kingdom of God. (Acts 2:34) Peter said that after Jesus made the statement about Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in Matthew 8:11 at the time of healing the servant of a Roman centurion.

Hence those three patriarchs could not be in the Kingdom class as joint heirs with the Lord Jesus Christ. They were his ancestors, who preceded him by more than seventeen hundred years.

It is therefore evident that in Matthew 8:11 Jesus referred to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob figuratively. On the occasion when Abraham offered up his son Isaac, Abraham represented Jehovah God and Isaac represented God’s only-begotten Son Jesus Christ, who was offered up in sacrifice. Accordingly Jacob represented the spiritual Christian congregation, the “kingdom of the heavens” class; for, just as the congregation gets life through Jesus Christ, so Jacob got life from Abraham through Isaac. From this standpoint Abraham, Isaac and Jacob mentioned together in Jesus’ illustration would picture the great theocratic government, in which Jehovah is the Great Theocrat, Jesus Christ is his anointed representative King, and the faithful, victorious Christian congregation of 144,000 members is the body of Christ’s joint heirs in the Kingdom.

When the Christian congregation was founded on the day of Pentecost, its spirit-anointed members were made Christ’s joint heirs and were put in line for a place in the heavenly kingdom, to recline there at the spiritual table with the Greater Abraham and the Greater Isaac. The natural or fleshly Jews of the nation of Israel claimed to be the “sons of the kingdom” or the prospective members of God’s kingdom. From the day of Pentecost forward they saw the beginning and the gradual development of this theocratic arrangement, but because of their lack of faith in Christ they were not in it. Hence, as Jesus said (Matt. 8:12): “The sons of the kingdom will be thrown into the darkness outside. There is where their weeping and the gnashing of their teeth will be.”

For this reason it became necessary that many Gentiles (non-Jews), like the Roman centurion whose faith brought a miraculous cure by Jesus, should come “from eastern parts and western parts,” from all around the earth, to become dedicated, baptized Christians. Thus they could help make up the full number of the Kingdom class. For faithfulness to the death these converted Gentiles are resurrected to heavenly life to recline at the heavenly table, as it were, with Jehovah God and Jesus Christ “in the kingdom of the heavens.”

When understood this way, Matthew 8:11 agrees with Jesus’ words in Matthew 11:11: “Among those born of women there has not been raised up a greater than John the Baptist; but a person that is a lesser one in the kingdom of the heavens is greater than he is.” Since Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are not greater than John, they will not be literally in the kingdom of the heavens. Jesus used them only as an illustration of those who will actually be in it.

• alecholmesthedetective
    alecholmesthedetective

I like this thread.

Alec

• Simon
    Simon

There's one in one of the minor books toward the end of the NT and the gist of it is 'Jesus was resurrected in the flesh, if anyone comes to you saying otherwise you should reject them'. The WTS say otherwise of course.

Anyone know the one I.e. talking about?

• Darth Rutherford
    Darth Rutherford

Here you go Simon:

“Every inspired expression that confesses Jesus Christ as having come in the flesh originates with God, but every inspired expression that does not confess Jesus does not originate with God. Furthermore, this is the antichrist’s [inspired expression] which YOU have heard was coming, and now it is already in the world.” (1 John 4:2, 3)

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Thanks blondie, was 1962 the last time they tried to explain it away? The Insight book mention hardly counts as an explanation, just a typical "we say so" type comment.

That's a good one Darth that should make the list. And cobaltcupcake I never even knew about that one!

Happy Memorial season.

Same to you designs. Is that you celebrating the seasons perchance?

I like this thread.

Get thee to facebook alec.

There's one in one of the minor books...

Another nice one Simon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit