The ten most embarrassing scriptures for Jehovah's Witnesses

by slimboyfat 95 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

John. 6:53 Accordingly Jesus said to them: “Most truly I say to YOU , Unless YOU eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, YOU have no life in yourselves. 54 He that feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has everlasting life, and I shall resurrect him at the last day.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

So how come only the few who claim to be anointed are supposed to partake of the bread symbolising Jesus' body at the Memorial?

• krejames
    krejames

I remember going on the doors with a presentation from the KM based on James 1:13 to prove that Jehovah didnt cause bad things to happen. The householder was a baptist and proceeded to point out that that scripture was talking about temptation and that, besides, there were many biblical examples of god punishing people with bad events. That shut me up. I went home and checked my other bible translations and sure enough - definitely about temptation not natural disasters and the "trials of life" etc.

Another one is James 5:16 used in every JC but clearly talking about healing illnesses - not judicial matters.

• mP
    mP

Winston:

Others have mentioned it, but Luke 21:8 is the one for me. One short scripture all on its own with Jeseus own words show that you should not be one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

MP: Considering Jesus said he only came for the jews, preached only to jews and never left Israel proper its pretty obvious he was limiting his message to Jews. The fact Paul got busy somehwere else was his own initative never jesus's.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Galatians 6v8 ".....even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to you as good news something beyond what we declared to you as good news,let him be accursed".

The good news Paul preached was Christ resurrected. Nothing more, no Paradise Earth etc

mP, Paul did meet Peter who first took the G.N to Gentiles, so Acts says, but it may indeed have all been on his own initiative that he started his preaching, possibly not having met Peter at that point in time ?

I certainly think Paul himself believed Jesus had commissioned him to preach thus, maybe not at the Damascene Epiphany, but Paul had many mystical experiences, and during one of these no doubt he heard the same voice telling him to preach to the Gentiles.

No one else heard that voice that time either I bet, all in Pauls head, not real.

If J.W's believe that Gal 6v8 is "inspired of God" how do they explain their version of Good News ? and more importantly, where is the mandate to preach it, in contradiction of Paul's command ?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Psalms 137:9 Happy will he be that grabs ahold and does dash to pieces
    Your children against the crag.

Is that refrain included in any of the Kingdom Songs?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Surely someone has got some more good ones! Please share.

• Desilusionnee
    Desilusionnee

Wow! This thread is amazing!

Insearchoftruth4 thanks for this one "Isaiah 37 compare 2nd kings 19. Over 2 chapters of duplication." !!! I never saw that...

When I was still in, I prayed not to be asked about that one:

Ecclesiastes 12:7 : "Then the dust returns to the earth just as it happened to be and the spirit itself returns to the [true] God who gave it."

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

I don't get what you mean MP. Luke 21:8 and my comment have nothing to do with Paul.

Perhaps you mean that Jesus words only applied to the 'then and there', the people of his time with the destruction of Jerusalem in mind? Like when Jesus said 'this generation' he meant the destruction of Jerusalem would come in the lifetime of those alive at that time. I agree with that. I think it is highly likely that any prophetic words Jesus used about 'destruction' related to the fall of Jerusalem.

Jehovah's Witnesses however apply Luke 21 and Matthew as having a major fulfillment in our modern day (despite there being no precedent in the scriptures for minor / major fulfillments of prophecy). From this JW view, in amongst Jesus' warnings about the time of the end, he said not to follow after people going around saying "I am Jesus, I am his representative, I come in his name, I speak for him, the end is coming!" JWs of course apply this to other religions and small time groups who tout the end times. They seem oblivious to the fact that for more than 100 years they themselves have been going around saying that they speak on behalf of Jesus as his representative, and have been throwing out dates for the end, or constantly harp on about it being 'soon' thus proving themselves to be exactly the people Jesus warned his disciples not to follow.

• speargrass55
    speargrass55

Thank everyone who's contributed to this thread. My mom will soon start calling to remind me of the memorial. I'll have stuff for her to think about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit