WT Society holds EXTREME Responsibility for 1975 and False Expectations

by flipper 140 Replies latest jw friends

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

Can't belileve I never saw this thread.

My father came in the or in 1967 and met my mom in 1968, she had been baptized 9 years earlier. They toold me that in 68 - 69 is when most of the hype started. They had the first child in 69 the second in 72. My dad related that the brothers actually counselled him on having children this cose to Armageddon. How it showed his lack of faith in the fact the system was suppose to end shortly... So they ceased having anymore kids... He quit his job and started pioneering in 73 and worked part time. They decided to move to seldom - worked territory in the south. As 75 approached he said that the brothers in the hall did exactly as the KM stated. However he said many bought big homes the could not afford and cars as well and blew their savings pbecause they said they will have no need for their money in the new system so they might as well spend it all now.

However they were flat broke and struggling with two kids but felt it didn't matter because shortly it would all be over. He said as the date came and went two brothers he knew commited suicide. No reason as to why but financial issues.

He found himself without enough work for his family. Because they could not afford birth control they ended up having me. not long after. He was already in his mid thirties and had nothing... So he decided to start trying to build himself a career. It was to late. So he was stuck with manual labor jobs never making it past supervisor.

However after the next breath he tells me it wasnt the society's fault... it was the brothers who ran ahead ...

• flipper
    flipper

SOSOCONFUSED- Thanks for sharing your experience and story about your parents. It is truly amazing, isn't it - that SO many JW's wasted their entire life savings on waiting to be saved by a fictitious " Armageddon " which never happened at all. Yet the WT Society was adamant about the end coming in 1975 that we as JW's were to follow their orders about minimizing material possessions, or not going to college to get a good education, or a decent paying job. So sad to hear about the suicides of your dad's friends and how your dad himself was not allowed to further himself jobwise. My JW elder dad was the same way. Went from job to job raising us kids up in the Witnesses . It wasn't until he was finally in his mid 50's that he became an insurance agent making decent money.

This WT Society has a lot to answer for in the deceptions they pulled on people about 1975. It's truly tragic. But at least we have our freedom now ! Which is a good thing. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• flipper
    flipper

BTTT, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• worf
    worf

Mr. Flipper,

This is an excellent thread. Thanks again for bringing up this subject of the 1975 hoax for discussion.

To All,

I am enjoying reading everyone's experiences and comments about that time. These real life experiences are very interesting. The best thing about these experiences to me is that they are part of the continually mounting proof that the watchtower is the worst hoax that has ever appeared on this planet. Thats just my own personal opinion.

Like others who have commented earlier, I also feel that one of the best ways to put another nail in the watchtower coffin is to live as successfully as possible. So in the 13 plus years since I walked away from the watchtower hoax society, I have done things that I had always wanted to do, but had not had the time or fully developed desire because of being a part of that cult: I always loved bowling, so I joined a bowling league and bowled in the league for about 8 years. Had a lot of fun! I have been to college to study science: Ongoing. I now have my own business. I am a member of a great success club called the Global Information Network. (GIN) I have expanded my horizons by 'taking in knowledge' (remember that phrase? ) , that has real meaning and worth, by reading information in books written by people such as Napoleon Hill, Charles Haanel, Les Brown, Zig Ziglar, Og Mandino, Claude Bristol, Kevin Trudeau, Dale Carnegie, Peter Ragnar, Mark Hamilton, Neville, Peter B. Kyne, Rhonda Byrne etc.

I am also a member of a grass roots movement that is dedicated to creating the conditions that will allow all people on this planet to live long successful, wealthy, healthy, self-leading lives. A side benefit to this grassroots movement is that it will render the watchtower and its predictions, and all cults like it useless, and will contribute to the watchtower and cults like it, going the way of the dodo bird: Extinction!

This world is shifting in ways that even the stupid watchtower doesn't realize. And they will not be able to adjust because they will not be needed.

If anyone would like to know more about the grass roots movement mentioned above, feel free to e-mail me.

• outofthelionsden
    outofthelionsden

I have an audio clip from a talk Freddie gave in california in 1974 stating that Sep the 5th was the end of 7,000 year and beginning of great tribulation . this audio clip is what helped wake up my husband! we where born in the very early 80's so we grew up hearing that watchtower never gave a date but that it was all the brothers fault , that they had speculated and were spending all there money and living life before the big A ..so for us to actually hear the talk given was a big eye opener!!

if anyone can help me upload this mp3 i would be happy to share it! sorry im somewhat new to this lol

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

And we are only referring to english speaking backgrounds, other countries started their literature at a later date, some may be post 1975.

1975 is an interesting case, When Prophecies Fail almost reads like the 1975 advent.

• flipper
    flipper

WORF- Thanks ! I appreciate it. I felt it was an important subject for newly exiting JW's to consider- especially if they haven't heard about 1975 before. I agree with you that the WT Society IS about the worst hoax ever to appear on the planet. Them and other huge corporations as well. Reading these experiences really do help people to see how conniving the WT Society was and continues to be. I'm so glad to hear you are living an enjoyable, productive, and proactive life trying to help people my friend. Good for you ! It's what it's all about in my opinion- people helping people to help some small part of our society a better place to live.

OUTOFTHELIONSDEN- That's really great that you have the Freddy Franz talk where he talks about 1975 predictions. And that it helped your husband get out of the Witnesses. Opened his eyes. I'm not tech savvy myself but I'm sure one of our tech brilliant people will come on here if we keep this thread bumped up to explain how to upload your MP3 onto this thread. Anybody here willing to help Lionsden load her MP 3 on here please ? Pretty please ? Thanks ! Appreciate it !

JOEY JO-JO- " When Prophecies Fail " - Sounds like an interesting book to read. Thanks for recommending it. Who is the author ? Good point you bring out that the WT Society only started getting into some countries after 1975 so some of those countries are totally in the dark about the failed 1975 fiasco. Amazing how the WT Society tries to sweep it's history under the rug. Just like " Big Brother " in the Orwell book 1984 ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Thought this was worth re-publishing:

What was being said immediately prior to 1975

Awake! 1966 October 8 pp.19-20

"Does God's rest day parallel the time man has been on earth since his creation? Apparently so. In what year, then, would the first 6,000 years of man's existence and also the first 6,000 years of Gods rest day come to an end? The year 1975. It means that within a relatively few years we will witness the fulfillment of the remaining prophecies that have to do with the "time of the end"."

Awake! 1969 May 22 p.15

“If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the 'last days' in 1914, Jesus foretold: 'This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.' Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers.”

Awake! 1974 November 8 p.11

"Today there is a great crowd of people who are confident that a destruction of even greater magnitude is now imminent. The evidence is that Jesus' prophecy will shortly have a major fulfillment, upon this entire system of things. This has been a major factor in influencing many couples to decide not to have children at this time."

Kingdom Ministry May 1974 p.3 How Are You Using Your Life?"

"Yes, since the summer of 1973 there have been new peaks in pioneers every month. Now there are 20,394 regular and special pioneers in the United States, an all-time peak. That is 5,190 more than there were in February 1973! A 34-percent increase! Does that not warm our hearts? Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service. Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world's end."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What was being said immediately after 1975

Watchtower 1976 July 15 pp.440-441

11 It may be that some who have been serving God have planned their lives according to a mistaken view of just what was to happen on a certain date or in a certain year. They may have, for this reason, put off or neglected things that they otherwise would have cared for. But they have missed the point of the Bible’s warnings concerning the end of this system of things, thinking that Bible chronology reveals the specific date........

15 But it is not advisable for us to set our sights on a certain date, neglecting everyday things we would ordinarily care for as Christians, such as things that we and our families really need. We may be forgetting that, when the “day” comes, it will not change the principle that Christians must at all times take care of all their responsibilities. If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises .

• flipper
    flipper

VANDERHOVEN- Thanks so much for supplying those quotes ! Man oh man- those quotes are really incriminating to show how much liability the WT Society holds regarding deceiving people to look to 1975 as the END date of the world. Then when it didn't happen the WT Society takes no responsibility but blames the individual JW's for their " mistaken views " which in reality were the mistaken views of the WT leaders themselves ! They are incredible at projecting their own errors onto other people. Amazing

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

According to my youngest son inlaws. 1975 was not a big deal that we made it out to be. All I can say is they must have been living in a bubble. When 1975 came and went my wife and I went to my father and asked him why was the WT wrong. He just about tore our heads off. How dare we quesiton the WT. Being young we back down and never said a thing again until about 5 years ago. So many younger ones and new converts just don't know the whole story about 1975. They treat it the same way many of us treated how Russell was wrong about 1914. Many of us don't know how disappointed those Russell followers were. Thanks Flipper. Totally ADD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit