BORN-INS! What Were The Most Annoying Quotes Your Parents Would Say?

by OneStepOut93 73 Replies latest jw friends

• Braehead
    Braehead

The one I always got was "bad associations spoil useful habits". "Repitition for emphasis" they did!

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

"You're missing meeting tonight for work? Remeber Armageddon is just around the corner!"

Peace

Kool Jo

• sd-7
    sd-7

When I'd attempted suicide 15 years ago (almost to the day, in fact), over getting rejected by a girl, I can remember Mom asking me, "Did you commit fornication?" before I could even finish explaining what had happened; all I'd said was that there was a girl up until that point. Dude. I almost died, and you're worried about whether or not I committed fornication?? Don't you want to at least, you know, offer some kind of helpful guidance that doesn't involve all the reasons I'm in trouble? (For the record, no, I didn't--she was far too pretty to go for a guy like me. It was like that girl who says she wishes more guys were like you, and then dates everybody but you.)

Other than that, I pretty much blocked out a lot of stuff that happened over the last 20 years or so. I was a loyalist, so it's harder to find fault with Mom over all that. I prefer not to ponder it, and yet maybe it's where everything went wrong. Because she was at least as much of a bully as my big brother was. I didn't get pushed around and laughed at school, I got it at home. Most people actually really liked me at school and I was afraid to have anything to do with them so I stayed aloof.

My brother once said I was his role model. You don't rough up your role model, you try to imitate them. But probably he got beatings a lot as a kid, and just passed on the beatings to me. Nothing too extreme, apart from that time my head went through the wall. But that was a freak accident. Well, so was the time my heel went through the same wall. But you get the idea.

Maybe being shunned by them doesn't bother me all that much because I really didn't like my brother all that much towards the end, and Mom was just someone I got used to obeying without question and there wasn't much more to it than that. Earning her approval was everything. I wonder if that's played itself out in my relationships. Give the woman an emotional blank check and hope she writes in a number low enough that it doesn't bounce. And keep trying to stay ahead on deposits, all in vain.

Okay, that's important, but, I'll shut up now. Probably disrupting the flow of this nice thread.

--sd-7

• ClubSandwich
    ClubSandwich

If I would say, "He was lucky that that happened," or something like that, my papa would always correct me.

"We don't say luck, that word is of pagan origin." Then he would remind me that the proper words were "good fortune." So much for wordsmithing.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

"We love you more than your husband". No lie

"You left the truth because of your husband"

Mind you I met my husband long after I stopping attending meetings but that doesn't matter cuz my parents' deranged minds he's the cause anyway.

• OneStepOut93
    OneStepOut93

I love ALL of your answers. Wayyyy to familar to me. Perfect1... I live with my grandma still and she says that ALL THE STINKING TIME. Ijust smile and nod my head like a good JDub. Oh and Magwitch... you just said EXACTLY everything my mom said.

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

I wish Jehovah would bring Armageddon right now, because I know I would survive' and I don't think you lazy pups will.

(Said by our mother when we were not doing the assigned housework fast enough.)

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

"If this was ancient Israel times I could stone you to death."

• OneStepOut93
    OneStepOut93

Betterdaze... that is just something a mother should never say but I've heard it before.

• What Now?
    What Now?

"Make the truth your own"

"If this system is still here..."

"Why didn't you comment?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit