WTF? Tried Jehovahs Witnesses to delete Raymond from Wikipeda a couple minutes ago?

by Dold Agenda 144 Replies latest jw friends

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I just read it and it looks like it is all factual, so whats the problem? Big brther just doesn't want any truth that maybe against their organization out there. Too bad it wasn't still the middle ages.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    I just read it and it looks like it is all factual, so whats the problem? Big brther just doesn't want any truth that maybe against their organization out there. Too bad it wasn't still the middle ages.

The 'complaints' aren't from 'big brother'.

It's from the wrong country.

It's very poorly written.

The WTS would be more likely to target the main JW article.

The WTS would be more likely to write to the WikiMedia foundation if they wanted to complain about articles.

The WTS' lawyers would know the article content is well within the confines of free speech and fair use.

• besty
    besty

@jeffro

IP address geolocation provides the location of the Internet Service Provider , not individual clients .

Yes and no. Strictly speaking there is no technical reason for any IP address to map to any geolocation.

However, when ISP's build consumer broadband networks they assign blocks of IP's to edge network equipment which is geoographically located increasingly 'near' to the customer. So depending on ISP node naming structures and other data they have chosen to make available to 3rd party geo-IP providers, it is possible for public information to reveal something about a user location.

On top of the ISP data, the geo-IP companies also layer other sources, eg public wifi with IP addresses in a similar range.

In this case we can say with reasonable certainty the user is located in the Norfolk area, whether thats Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds or wherever.

But...it is a black art and YMMV. In my case geoip.co.uk nailed my location to street level accuracy.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

besty:

Yes and no. Strictly speaking there is no technical reason for any IP address to map to any geolocation.

Well of course, when you only quote the simplified part of what I said, before I went on to indicate that the process is a bit more complex.

In this case we can say with reasonable certainty the user is located in the Norfolk area, whether thats Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds or wherever.

We can reasonably conclude that they're in the UK, and they might be somewhere in the Norfolk area. Geolocation of my IP is not even near close. Why should we expect much better for this one?

In my case geoip.co.uk nailed my location to street level accuracy.

geoip.co.uk says I'm in Brisbane (about the same distance from me as London to Rome). In fact almost every geolocation service I've tried says I'm in Brisbane. Except one that put me in the middle of nowhere, even further away.

• besty
    besty
    Geolocation of my IP is not even near close. Why should we expect much better for this one?

Because the way ISP's build consumer broadband networks dictates 'some' correlation between blocks of IP's and physical locations.

YOUR mileage may vary.

PM me your IP or one close to yours and I will PM you back with what I can discern from public data.

• Listener
    Listener

I thought you could hide your ip address by using a proxy server, which would mean your location was unknown.

• besty
    besty
    I thought you could hide your ip address by using a proxy server, which would mean your location was unknown.

you possibly could, but proxy servers are even more off-topic than this already is :-)

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Because the way ISP's build consumer broadband networks dictates 'some' correlation between blocks of IP's and physical locations.

Sometimes.

YOUR mileage may vary.

And so may theirs.

PM me your IP or one close to yours and I will PM you back with what I can discern from public data.

No.

• besty
    besty

@jeffro - I am confused as to the point you are trying to make - you seem to be saying because IP geolocation doesn't work for you, it doesn't work.

IP geolocation is sometimes accurate and sometimes not.

In my experience of deploying consumer broadband networks for a national ISP (think millions of consumers) and in this particular case, I am satisfied that the IP address is *probably* located in the Norfolk area.

Nothing to add really.

• perfect1
    perfect1

Besty is the better looking one. He wins.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit