San Francisco or Bay Area Members?

by nibbled 109 Replies latest jw friends

• AGuest
    AGuest

You have left me a lot to respond to, dear Nibs (peace to you!)... and more than I can do just now. I will, though, before the day is over. Before I go, though, I would like to apologize if I've misstaken you and your motive. Unfortunately, I received a PM warning from someone who I gave the benefit of the doubt as "knowing"... because I believed that it was a good faith attempt. I still do, even if it was wrong. And having another whom I greatly distrust corroborate - well, let's just say I'm in a kind of "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice..." situation with him. Coupled with the fact that I had asked you once before, with no response... I let MY "issues" surrounding trust not only cloud my judgement... but supercede my hearing. Indeed, a couple/few times now it has caused me to second guess what I heard from my Lord (although it relates to the kind of "prophet" you are; not false, per se... which is why I DID invite you elsewhere AND continue discussing here). But there is more to what I've heard from him... and coupled with my need to be guarded here... well...

But that is neither your concern, fault, or problem: I allowed myself to lose focus, due to what was suggested and then corroborated... and by whom... because I let my emotions get in the way. It has become a bit of a conundrum this past week or so, my emotions... especially with regard to who to trust and who not to, given certain comments, PMs, and such. I don't recall ever dealing with that before, at least not to the detriment of my hearing. But I am GLAD... because it has certainly served to wake me up (all of the "din" has been causing me to tune out; unfortunately, too much!).

But no worries: I will return to focusing, versus letting my emotions and an onslaught of silly insults get in the way of hearing... and obeying.

So, again, I apologize if I've been mistaken. Again, I did ask once before and when you didn't respond thought perhaps the suggestion was valid. And when it was corrorborated, well...

To be continued in a bit.

Peace!

A doulos of Christ,

SA

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

HI Nibbled,

Wow, a lot of posts since last checked. I don't know why they are saying you are this person. I guess they spent a lot of time talking to him and don't want to be fooled again, or spend time debating someone who isn't honest. I remember Dave Perez, he was not nice, however I didn't read enough of his posts to be able to say if yours posts are similar or not.

I am not as much of a bible scholar as you, but I do enjoy reading yours posts, they are very interesting. I tend to give posters the benefit of the doubt, if they are trying to change identities, they tend to show their true colors soon enough. I was accused of that on another forum. Their was another poster who had a somewhat similar style. Not only was he male, but he was a current JW, so it was crazy. I just found it funny that someone gave my posts enough thought to even think about it. I guess you could take it as flattery that your comments are made people take notice of you.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" I might start a book thread. I'll try and orient it towards the ex-JW community and new thinking. Would you be interested?"

Please do jgnat. I love book threads. I have quite a few I need to get my butt in gear to read also.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I don't check IP addresses, tec. If I suspect something, I pass it on to the owners.

• tec
    tec

Cool.

Peace,

tammy

• fizzywiglet
    fizzywiglet

But… um, what? Showing the love, or just adding snarky Fizz? Was there an xJW swinger convention in Vegas? Please, not on my thread.

I was thinking in retrospect, I feel I should clarify so as not to diss your thread, Nibbled. I was just being silly. Some of us friends had an aposta-gathering last weekend and EP spent all day cooking for us, and we were joking about the food being as good as sex (seriously though, dude is like a master chef - amazing cook). I was having a mildly bawdy/saucy laugh about the ridiculous concept of EP's alleged wretched, miserable life. But looking back on it, it perhaps wasn't a very good joke because it was an in-joke, so my deepest apologies if I have thee offended. :)

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Israel in spirit - he is not a Jew who is one on the outside; he is a Jew who is one on the INSIDE

Yes, dear Nibs. Again, peace to you AND my apologies for mistaking you. I hope my explanation sufficed. If not, I understand – I don’t like it when folks accuse me of being someone I am not, either. However, I do try to set such matters straight asap in order to avoid confusion (which doesn’t necessarily work... at least, not with the truly “confused”). Well, okay then! A lot to (potentially) respond to, given your several posts. I will try to get to all that I can. Please note, I am not good with flowery words or sentiments - my social graces are sorely lacking. I'm pretty much a "what you see... and hear... is what you get" person. So please, do not mistake my forthrightness for anything untoward, if you can. I use no "tone" or snark here. Indeed, there are less then 5 people on this board who I reserve such for... and you are not one of them.

Now then:

This is about people, the Jews, living up to their "name". I get frustrated how it is that people can't see he was chastising the Jews, not opening it up for other people to become like the Jews in a "spiritual sense".

Why does such frustrate you? No snark, just curious. I mean, either folks will hear... or they will refrain. But what has that to do with folks like us? I mean, I’m just a messenger, so why take it personal when folks don’t get it? It’s when they maliciously contend... or falsely accuse of bad/wrong motive, even when their accusations have been addressed... that I get frustrated. I mean, most of us here were JWs at one time... and either believed what we were pushing... or at least went along with it to some degree or another. But most of the “householders” we met didn’t get nasty: they just politely declined. Here, though, polite declination just doesn’t seem to be a skill that some possess.

We were each created by our Father in heaven, and each have a life to live. We shouldn't be clamoring to make ourselves "Jews" in a spiritual sense, nor Israelites.

I would agree... but I’m not sure how you got that that was my position from what I stated. I simply meant that just because one is circumcised in the flesh, etc., doesn’t mean one is a Jew. That you read more than that is... well, curious.

To be a true Jew, as a Jew, you must be circumcised both in and out—in that day. That's all Paul was saying.

Unfortunately, I must disagree with that. Indeed, I believe Paul spoke AGAINST circumcision “out.” Such was not necessary for the nations... or for the Jews who accepted the NEW Covenant. He only had Timothy do so in order not to stumble those who were still pushing it. Now, being circumcised on the INSIDE was and is another matter... and I agree that Paul DID exhort that. Because that IS necessary. Because just as the OUTWARD circumcision once identified a Jew, indeed, an Israelite of ANY tribe... it is the inward “circumcision”... the removal/transcending of the FLESH... that identifies one as a TRUE “Jew” to the MOST Holy One of Israel, JAHVEH.

You don't believe "all scripture is inspired"?

I absolutely do believe all SCRIPTURE was inspired (written while the writer was in spirit, led by holy spirit, and told to write). Yes.

What books have you cut out of the canon as from false prophets and what books have you added?

I’ve cut nothing out; I simply limit my recognition to what is “scripture” to what my Lord did, does, and has told ME is - Moses, the Prophets (including Enoch, Jashar, Barak, and others... which are NOT in the current Bible canon), the Psalms... and the Revelation... as shown at Luke 24:27, 32, 44, 45, and Revelation 1:11, 19. You do realize that there are also Bible canons that include apophrycal books such as Judith, Tobit, the Maccabees, etc., yes? How does that work, exactly? Which Bible “version”, exactly... do you consider to be the “Word” of God?

(You shake my confidence both in the purity of our association, as well as then chink away at one's faith in the Word as the word of God.)

Please take this in the spirit of love with which I offer it... but your confidence shouldn’t be in me... or in the “purity” of our association. I should be in the One appointed to have that confidence... and the primary “one” in your association. I am nothing more than a good for nothing servant and if you are putting your trust in ME... then you haven’t paid attention to the Prophet (Jeremiah)... or the One who spoke to HIM.

Also, the Bible isn’t the word... or Word... of God, dear one. Not by a stretch. The MOST Holy One of Israel only has one Word: His Son and Christ, the HOLY One of Israel, JAHESHUA, the Chosen One of JAH (MischaJah). Indeed, the Bible even SAYS this (John 1:1, 14; 17:17; Hebrews 13:12; Revelation 19:13). I have never seen where it states that “it” is God’s word... OR Word. So, I kind of have to go with what that WORD says about Who the Word is... which the Bible actually corroborates.

You consider Isaiah's prophecy bad? "unlike any since Ephraim broke away from Judah" — interesting place for that notation in scripture.

I’m not sure how you got that from that I stated.

For those listening to this conversation and who perhaps believe as AGuest that "don't "look" to Paul, [because] some of what he (?) wrote was true and accurate; some was not." I offer that you consider what Paul did not write, and is in scripture. Paul's name is mentioned 130-155 times in the book of Acts. "Jesus" was mentioned by the name 67 times. Of course he was in spirit form and as the resurrected Word of God, and the majority of the instances of "Jesus" name being used in the book of Acts is specifically in chapter 9 in the account of Saul on the road to Damascus, meeting the Christ in spirit, and being called to his ministry.

It IS quite interesting, is it not... that Paul is mentioned twice as many times as my Lord. And CONSIDERABLY more times than any of the 12 (which he was not one of). Wonder why that is... Helps shed some light on why many... indeed, most... follow Paul... than the Lamb... does it not? You’d think Paul was the Christ come again. Unfortunately... well, fortunately, actually... some of us, including myself... consider Paul AFTER Christ.

For example, when Paul said to “judge those on the inside,” we, like many of those in the early Corinthians congregation... and not a few of the Apostles, said, “Ummmm... no, that is NOT what we learned from the Christ himself. To the contrary, HE said to STOP judging. So, no, sorry, Paul, but there’s something “wrong” with YOUR “truth” there. Maybe it’s that it’s YOUR truth... and not Christ’s?” That Paul changed his position about a year later... when in his letter to the Romans he said, “Let us judge one another NO MORE” seems to indicate so (“Oh, wait, oops... say WHAT, Brother Paul? But didn’t you tell the Corinthians TO judge? Didn’t you JUST say...?”).

Dear Paul apparently got himself some NEW “light”, dear one. But the TRUTH... is that truthdoesn’t change. It is the same... today... yesterday... and tomorrow. Just as JAH and Christ are. That OUR understanding changes... doesn’t change truth. It just changes US... and OUR understanding.

I make a note, personally, here. The apostles appointed a 12th to replace Judas, yet Christ himself appointed his apostles while on earth. I respect Paul as being the twelfth apostle, as he was appointed by our Christ, and recognize that the apostle who met the requirements designated by the men left behind is not mentioned in the scripture beyond (basically) being appointed by men.

Interesting. Funny, Paul didn’t call... or consider... himself one of the twelve. And apostle (i.e., “sent one”), yes. Just as James and Jude, my Lord’s brothers in the flesh were. As MANY were. But he wasn’t... and isn’t... one of the 12. Indeed, he himself referred to the “twelve” (1 Corinthians 15:5). And my Christ didn’t call Paul to take the place of a living disciple... but of one he was instrumental in having murdered: Stephen (Acts 8:1, 4; 9:16).

The apostles, meanwhile, all reference Paul in writings,

Surely you realize this is an erroneous statement. Matthew, does not mention him. Lazarus (“John”) does not mention him. As far as I can see, only Peter mentions him... and then briefly. But you have to understand Peter: Paul had called him out for his hypocrisy in front of God and everyone. Peter, being the... ummmmm... sometimes “people pleaser” that he was (and I don’t say this to put down Peter but to state the truth about him, as Paul did)... NEEDED to agree with Paul. Not that Paul was ALWAYS wrong (he often was)... but Peter himself had endorsed Paul way back when... with most of the others mistrusted him. Peter wasn’t a man quick to notice his own... ummmmmm... errors and deficiencies. Paul noticed them, though... and so a very embarrassed Peter needed to make sure he and Paul were on the same “side.” They were, of course, but, again, you have to know Peter.

Of course, I don’t know Peter... but my Lord does. And he explained both Paul AND Peter to me.

and you have to cut a significant portion of canonized scripture out if you find Paul to be a false prophet. You'd have to cut out all 'his' letters, and in it the "great sacred secret" of the body of Christ.

Again, I am not sure how you jump to my finding Paul a false prophet. Paul didn’t claim to BE a prophet... but an apostle. Not the same thing, truly. Paul spoke truth when he spoke by means of holy spirit; unfortunately, his personality didn’t always submit to that – as a former Pharisee/lawyer, he had a lot of “baggage.” And he brought a good deal of it with him in his ministry. BUT... his intentions were good, as was his heart. He learned, eventually, which you can see if you read his letters in the order written... versus how they are presented in the Bible canon.

HOWEVER... you should also know, do you not, that not everything attributed TO Paul was written BY Paul? And I don’t mean literally – I know he suffered from blindness. No, I mean, again, the “false stylus.” It was in play. Surely you don’t think the letters contained in the Bible canon are without exception akin to the original... word for word... right? It is a copy... of a copy... of many copies... of many copies... of many copies... and so on.

So I'd like more detail here. That's a bold claim to refute all scripture as being inspired, Paul as being false prophet (they are each either one or the other) and rejecting what you deem good versus bad. I have faith that the Word of God is protecting the word of God.

Please see the above. Unfortunately, it is all I can offer, just now... and still get to the rest of your post(s).

Regarding the use of "Lord". First, please respond to the concept of the "lowest common denominator". I cannot know if you have considered this in your study, nor if the concept has struck the heart strings, as I hear only your argumentation and didn't find that in the response…

You must forgive, but I truly don’t know what you’re talking about with this statement. Can you kindly restate it, please? Because as far as I know, I thoroughly addressed the matter of the term “Lord.”

You reason and give the example that there are "Lord this" and "Lord that". Precisely, AG, precisely. "Lord" is now such a common term. I have many thousands of "Lords" in my family tree referring to thousands of men. Meanwhile, when people translated the Word of God into the words of modern languages they translated both "Ba'al" and "adon_" and the proper name of God into one and the same "Lord".

Yes.

Thus, each time you say "Lord" you are lowering the esteem of both our Creator and his Salvation.

That is your opinion, dear one... which I respect and believe you are absolutely entitled to. I do not agree, however, as I have not heard so from my Lord... who I KNOW would tell me if I were doing so. So, again, we’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I can handle that. Can you? I truly hope so.

It personally causes a strange flutter of upset that I now am suppressing each time I read "Jahveh" in your posts, or "Jah".

Please... PLEASE... do not take this the wrong way, but... WHY would you continue to READ something that causes such a reaction in you? I mean, I might... if I thought it was something that was very significant. But for me, if it isn’t significant, then it doesn’t upset me. Could be I lived a little longer than you... and so not much upsets me anymore, though. I think, though, that it’s more than I know my Lord... and have faith in him... that if there IS anything I should BE upset about, particularly with regard to him, he WILL tell me.

I asked him about this, though... your “flutter of upset”... and my understanding is that it is born of fear. Which I understand... as used to have such fear. The WTBTS taught me such. I have since left off that, though... fear... because my Lord has TOLD and TAUGHT me how NOT to fear: love, child. And perfect love... casts ALL fear... outside. Outside of New Jerusalem, outside of the Bride, outside of the Body... and outside of the individual members of that Body. Some sooner than others, yes... but all of them, eventually.

You refer to "Jehovah" as a false god, but cannot see past the forest for the trees for your own "Jahveh".

And is that not MY prerogative? If I am blinded by the forest, it is because it is the view given me by my Lord. How is that your concern?

It's simply a name that is not the divine name.

I must disagree... but okay.

He gave us criteria in scripture to discern the name, if we should seek it. So while "your Lord" the spirit voice gave you that name, I immediately now reject anything "your Lord" says as being from a false spirit.

Then no need for us to continue further, right, but stop here and respectfully agree to disagree? Because I have nothing to GIVE you... except what I myself RECEIVE. So, I can’t really see any reason to continue further, because what I will share with you on these things is what I receive(d) from my Lord.

Now, I am not saying we can’t discuss further – I AM saying that if you have decided that you must reject anything I share with you as coming from my Lord... and that as from a false spirit... then there really isn’t any purpose in our continuing. But (1) that isn’t going to stop, sorry, and (2) I do not want to frighten or cause you undue concern or “upset.” Truly. I am not trying to be facetious or sarcastic or anything like that. I have learned that the sheep are not mine to call, but my Lord’s. HE chooses: not they OR me. I’m just a small voice crying out “in the wilderness,” a (very) small rock... and so I don’t have ANY say... or affect... on anyone else’s faith... or hearing.

So, you let me know: if you wish to continue, I have no objection. If, however, continuing is on the condition that I accept what YOU are sharing... and reject my Lord (by refraining from sharing what I receive from him with you)... then I can’t see how we can go forward.

So there you go. You let me know. One thing, though, that I must address: I am not a lawyer. Never have been... and haven’t yet decided if I ever will be. I think that’s important for you to know because it is the truth and I wouldn’t want you to have any mistaken perceptions of me based on such an assumption.

Again, peace to you!

YOUR servant and a doulos of Christ,

SA

• nibbled
    nibbled

FizzyWiglet—why call it apostafest? I take apostacy seriously, but I recognize that the definition was bastardized by the WT. Even still, I see no reason to get ever participate in such a concept—even if its just a slang term. Somehow that makes me feel like a prude. I just don't want to be stuck in the WT limbo land forever. "Apostafest" seems to be a celebration of the not "over it yet" kind of break up style. Ick. Thoughts? Insight?

• nibbled
    nibbled

Tammy

"not everything in the bible is scripture"

I believe it is, but I am willing to explore. Where do I get a list?

"why the warning"

Because he could foresee we'd doubt that all scripture is inspired…? We'd question if the words was "pure" (infallible)? He wanted us to be certain about, if nothing else, the truthfulness of the words of that Revelation, his one and only book in the word of God as the Word of God?

As for Paul. Love to hear what you and your friends would think about the "Apostle on the Edge" textbook. I enjoyed it. I like Paul. I'd be his friend. However, we can't say that he didn't mean to have them shun the man, and then found that they'd gone overboard in their Jewish-style zealousness for the letter (as once they were about the "letter the law").

"It is not the bible that has authority, but the Spirit."

I drink a glass of red wine when I sit down to read the word. I believe that the wine reminds me of his sacrifice, and the word is the bread of life. The spirit is my teacher, and the text is the Word.

Who is to say that it IS?

Paul wrote "all scripture is inspired" and to steer clear of anyone teaching other than what it was that was taught by the apostles. I was once taught other things than what the apostles taught—by the Watchtower. It took me a long time to realize that the Watchtower doesn't replace or represent even the apostles. I respect that they were chosen by Christ, each, and taught by him (one being in a more interesting manner than the others). The means to be taught by the apostles is to do as Daniel and study the prophets and law, and the letters.

I don't mean to keep asking to be annoying. But do you have a list of what you do and do not accept by either book/letter or verses as being scripture from the canonized scripture? (I don't use "Bible", scripture is the term I use. I use it because it means inspired writings, and I don't like using Bible as it reminds me of Byblos, more and more pagan, er, Satan?) I know people can't trust the Bible, but while it's a subtle difference, I trust the scriptures. I do not use one translation or version, nor language. I devour them all! :)

Again, quite interested in your list of verses, letters, books, whatever, that you have found to be not "scripture" in the "bible".

"to help you determine how to interpret a scripture"

Actually I use scripture to interpret scripture. (I pray about it, then a scripture sort of is just there within about three days or less.) I believe the whole story is there. I read it. It's there. I want to talk about it. But it's like trying to (to steal someone else's analogy posted) peeling an onion. There are so many premises which are accepted because they are common place in Christendom. However, when I just read it all, all at once, clear mind and open heart, with sincere and intent focused prayer. That was it. It was simple. It was all there.

I don't know how to get from what I read, to being able to talk about it. Perhaps it were easier if people asked questions rather than my posing discussion points. I don't know.

I want to talk about it with people, and I haven't found the most effective means to do so. I'm 'lonely' as it were, and would love to make friends to discuss all this with. It's like having a secret with which you are bursting to share and not having anyone to share it with!

As I just caught another point I seemed to have missed going inline—I'll respond now… It appears as though you believe that the body of Paul's work isn't applicable now? It is past?

I gazed off for a moment there—you know, the thing I think I can say with confidence is that I believe that when the time arrives that he will write it upon our hearts and mind, and no longer will one teach another—we'll know. It'll simply come true. Until then, I have the scriptures and my spirit. The spirit doesn't replace the scripture, the spirit teaches the scripture. The spirit was sent by God in place of the Word of God to explain the word of God.

"I simply put nothing before Christ."

Technically the word of God came before the Christ. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning." … [then] ... "The Word became flesh, and took up residence among us." — "for the law was given through Moses, grace and truth came through Jesus Christ."

"Because these are people of faith, who walk by faith... rather than by sight (fleshly), which bogs us down and in fact, helps to keep us blind."

I'm resistant because I've got one friend who hears the voice and learns from an unidentified voice, and another who is telling me that the word of God isn't all scripture. I don't believe to rely on the word of God (scripture) is to walk in flesh. If you are meaning like that, you're taking "walking by sight" and might as well as put on blinders. Then you've got the Pharisees who were the blind leading the blind. It's not that you follow scripture its that you can't see the forest for the trees. (The warning for us.)

"Peter and the others did not accept Paul right away"

And Paul called Peter out on his hypocrisy.

I just want to find people with whom it feels like I'm discussing and sharing and learning the scriptures as the Truth together. I recognize Christ only as my head, and his word is written for my easy reference. Somehow it just feels exhausting and disheartening. I feel like going back to reading and loving it alone. I have a demanding life, and I didn't realize how much energy it would take to deal with all this on the this forum.

I don't want to spend all my free time (which takes away from what I love most, which is poring over the good book!) doing ping-pong point-for-point. But it seems there are either those not interested at all, or those set in their ways.

Just offering my feeling. Nothing here intended to be a slam, or jab or anything. Really really tired.

• nibbled
    nibbled

LisaRose, thanks for the consolation. I will be checking online after I get back in the country after this weekend. Looking forward to meeting you in person. I have no one from whom I can get a hug from, literally. I really need one. Hope you're ready! :)

AGuest, Thank you for your post to clarify. Frankly I have no real way to follow it because I don't have context. But I don't care. I'm not a dude. I'm a woman. One day you'll meet me — come see me next weekend, if you want. You'll laugh at how absurd the visual of me is compared to anything like what you thought I might have been. And then you can vouch for me.

I never responded to your question because you'll note I responded inline going from top to bottom. By the time I got to you that part you had already posted several below and I was under attack.

I didn't not respond—I simply hadn't read it yet. Check my responses. You'll see. Anyway, bygones, past. Done. I'm just exhausted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit