nibbled

Finally an introduction of "me".

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yah! Yice to Yeet You!

• AGuest
    AGuest
    There was no J sound either.

You are correct, dear Nibs (peace!) - I stated that incorrectly; I mean the "sound" made by the "yodh" (/j/).

Since I don't really have any problem with anything having a "pagan" origin, do you mind if I hang onto my current spelling for a while? I don't understand pagan to be a bad thing but simply what the Romans and others called the more rural, less worldly and citified people of Judea and Samaria and that region of the time... and it's modern use doesn't mean anything to me; I view those there more as "heathen", but don't really like that term, either - I prefer believer/non-believer).

The name I use is what I received from my Lord, though, even as to spelling, so I don't mean to say he won't change that at some point. When he does... and I'm open to that if that's his will... I will absolutely go with him. 'Cause I goes wherEVER he goes - LOLOLOL!

But thank you, truly, for that information! Please know, I do not reject it (Job 32:4). Just gonna put it on the burner for a bit and let it "simmer." I know you understand.

Again, peace to you!

YOUR servant, sister, and a doulos of Christ,

SA

• nibbled
    nibbled

Of course I don't mind, who you choose to worship is your personal preference. I realized that you don't have the other thread, check that out while you simmer. (I hope more so you'll pray, see below on the key point on that which helped me.)

I understand letting it simmer. Make sure you read that other thread. I have gone deep down into where the name Jehovah came from (the etymology), and who he is, and who worships Jehovah, including the etymology.

As far as the variations and what you use, if you're interested, let me know and I'll share with you all the scholars I've talked with and such.

When I learned that Jehovah wasn't his name, I felt betrayed, and then I felt stunned like it couldn't be, and I rationalized. Then I stumbled into more and more truth until I knew that it was a choice I had to make, understand that his son taught us how to pray, and I could obey his Word, or I could ignore it and continue in my tradition. I dropped Jehovah like you'd flee from demon. I started praying to "my Father", and a while later I was given all the pieces to the beautifully simple puzzle.

I know that I enjoyed coming to that myself, so I wouldn't want to take it away from anyone else to have the same personal experience. (I don't like reading anyone else's opinion, I like the scriptures, the spirit (teacher) and me.)

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Hi nibbled,

Enjoyed your thread. Good question as to "Status". Official Public JW status "Inactive". We hate: Pharasees, Child Molesters, Child sacrifice, money grubbers, and con artists...so that would make us "JW Heritics". Religious belief: "Religion (WTBTS) is a snare and racket".

Do we believe is God , yes. Do I believe he is as portrayed by the emotionally stunted, uneducated "confirmed bachelors"in Brooklyn, who want our $???? No.

We would love to meet you next time we are down in SFO.

• LisaRose
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

I'd love to meet, I dont care if it's a group or individually. The supper club sounds great, but I have fatigue issues, so I dont go out much at night, espicially if I have to drive, but keep me informed, I may be able to make it, depending on where and when.

If you want to meet me for tea, just let me know, there is a nice tea place near the Berkeley Shattuck station

• AGuest
    AGuest

I am willing to meet, as well, dear Nibs (again, peace to you!). In the meantime, may I ask you... how do you pronounce "Yehowah"? Just curious. Thank you!

Peace!

YSSFS of Christ,

SA

• jgnat
  • AGuest
    AGuest

I'm not sure if that's for me, dear jgnat (peace to you!). If so, thank you. I was actually more interested in the pronunciation of the name "Yehowah", however. Specifically, the pronunciation of the "waw." But since you've posted links as to "Yahweh"... and the pronunciation of that term, I am curious as to why people believe pronouncing the "waw" with the "w" sound is correct. Because there is indication out there that it COULD be pronounced differently. These two links might help show what I mean:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waw_(letter)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Hebrew

Now I realize that there may be some difference between ancient Hebrew and modern Hebrew... but that many BELIEVE a term is stated a correct way may or may not BE correct. I offer the words "Chanukah"... and "Hanukkah". Which is correct? Okay, I understand that both are ACCEPTABLE, but some folks choose and are adamant as to one over the other (my husband works with a LOT of Jewish attorneys, a couple of whom I buy gifts for during their religious holiday - they buy xmas gifts for him... and I think it's rude to give them a xmas gift when they observe a different holiday - and let me tell you, some are adamant about one while others are about the other. No, they don't FIGHT about it but they certainly make sure to correct him if he spells it wrong to one of them. Attorneys can be pedantic that way. So we try to keep up with who spells it which way).

My point is... which is the correct ORIGINAL spelling? Some believe the "ch" beginning is true to the original sound; some believe the "ch" is romanization of the word. The only way to REALLY know which is correct... would be to hear it from the one who created it, right? Well, that's not possible... is it?

For whatever reason, folks have decided that the "waw" is more correctly pronounced with the "w" sound. That is not what I've been told, though. I've been told that it is pronounced in the same as the "w" in "Manischewitz"... which is as the "vav" sound. So, for what you've linked here, the pronounciation would be "Yahveh".

But that spelling still leaves the question of the "yodh". True, there was no letter "j" in the Hebrew language; however, there also was no"y"! There was the "yodh"... which, in Hebrew makes the sound like our consonant "y"... but if accurately transliterated... would be a "j" (not a "y")... for purposes of our modern alphabet. It is similar to how we might pronounce, say, "La Jolla"... as "La Hoya". In Spanish, the "j" in this case is pronounced like an "h"... but it's a "j". We don't transliterate it to an "h" simply because it sounds like an "h". Same with the "yodh" - it is pronounced like a "y"... but it's a "j"... in our modern alphabet. Same thing with the "ll"... it is pronounced like a "y" but is the double el... and we don't just change it to an "y" because of how it sounds.

BUT... the scribes/copyists DID. They changed a whole lot of things... and still are doing so.

[Sidenote: I actually witnessed this a couple of years ago, with the compilation of the St. John's Bible (http://www.saintjohnsbible.org/). My husband is a master calligrapher (which is why he studied Latin, Greek, and Hebrew - calligraphy and illumination is used in a great many Bibles and related manuscripts and he does work of that kind)... and went to an event in SF honoring the project and one of the calligraphers involved, a Bay Area fellow master calligrapher and friend of my husband's. The ONLY thing we were able to take away from that event, though... was the "tampering" that was done in the name of "art." We couldn't believe it. If certain verses didn't "fit"... they were omitted, etc. Or the wording changed to stay true to the ART of the project. My husband and both looked at each other and were like, "Well doo-dah... THAT'S how that can happen!" I digress.]

Again, I am not a scholar, not by ANY stretch (nor do I claim to be or to know any in particular). And I am sure some (if not most) scholars would disagree with what I've shared here. I don't know what to tell you folks, though. I have to go with the One who told me what HIS name is... and how I should "write" it... and how his name glorifies the name of the Father and MOST Holy One of Israel... who he said to me was "JaHVeH"... and told me how to "write" that. That's all I know... and all I can share about it. Each one must choose for himself/herself as to what to believe. And I take NO offense, nor do I judge anyone who doesn't believe me. I am NO ONE'S master or leader, so it isn't me anyone should be listening to, anway.

Again, peace to you all!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit