San Francisco or Bay Area Members?

by nibbled 109 Replies latest jw friends

• nibbled
    nibbled

I did a search and came up with some posts related to San Francisco, but I couldn't figure out how to find more recent ones—they were from nearly a dozen years ago! :)

I was wondering if anyone lives around SF, as well as if anyone is around my age? I'm early 30's. I have more than a 1,000 Facebook friends thanks to having been out for a while, but I'm lonely for someone to talk to who understands the background we all came from.

Thanks!

• Open mind
    Open mind

Welcome to JWN nibbled!

My wife, late teens kids and I are all in the SF Bay Area.

Been faded now for about 2.5 years.

Here's a link to a JWN thread from a little over a year ago asking for who lives in California. Quite a few Bay Area folks responded.

http://jehovahs-witness.net/%28F%28amXVAxLaCtYX9YIm2JZVnk0U2OSY_GMnRfuUBy9CVGn_fTLKuHx2ro24ABF-qzQmfro6G0bGKtuUPKFlow_0_Ixw6mW5ABZkqRjcWULfijlHEIECtqBHkelpHDgb72AQnG890LZ7Zb3WdcvNyP03oJz1oiA1%29%29/members/private/219183/1/California-JWN-Roll-Call

When you get a chance, tell us a bit more about yourself. (Without revealing personally identifying info of course.)

om

• nibbled
    nibbled

Hi Open Mind! Thanks for digging up that thread. I'll go through and read each of the responses. Saw people go together in Tahoe? My heart lept with hope! :)

I'm a single female, young 30's living in SF. I'm a professional working in a common area for Bay Area employees. Grew up far from Cali though now I've been out here for many many years. It's been half as many of that that I've been apart from the org—until recently. Strange events brought me back in 'officially' and I officially realized that it wasn't the truth. It's been a fast process over a little more time than a year. As my family pretty much ignores me anyway (since I only want to talk about the real truth) I am considering my options so I don't have to feel like someone having to hide my identity. I feel stuck in a strange limbo—6 or 8 years of making tons of friends who aren't "friends" who don't really know about me, and what I believe, and thus I feel stiffled, especially in the atheist areas I've lived in where people believe religion is a disease as much as the WT thinks apostates are mentally diseased.

During my long time out God and I weren't on speaking terms. I couldn't understand why he'd abandoned me. But was respectfully of his decision and likewise respected being 'disowned' from my family.

I would never have stepped foot in another church, so it's interesting that the strange events which brought me back to the WT made everything so crystal clear.

I'd never read the scriptures through cover to cover before.

Now I have, and no wonder what I was taught never seemed to make sense!!!

I don't believe in religion. I believe in God, and God's son.

I have a lot to talk about, but need to find people to do that with. It's hard to find folks interested. I'm turned off by religion bashing (ours or others) and am more interested in the actual content. What I read makes total sense—but it seems no one else believes what I believe... but kind of hard to figure that out when you have to protect your identify and can't find an appropriate forum.

I get the feeling most people who have left the religion have also left faith entirely. Anyone in SF who still believes, even like me, that to truly believe is to be free?

• Open mind
    Open mind

Well nibbled, that narrows the field a little bit more. But don't give up hope. Can't remember where I read this but someone said: "JWs create more atheists and agnostics than any other religion."

There are quite a few Christian believers still on this board, but I'd say they are probably a minority.

Flipper has been organizing an "Apostafest" in Lake Tahoe around the Fourth of July for the last several years and I imagine he probably will again this year. (Flipper?) It's a pretty enoyable event overall IMO. There is no common thread of belief or disbelief among those who attend. The only commonality is that most are former JWs.

om

• jgnat
    jgnat

Not in SF here, not even close. I visited a couple years ago, and what a beautiful place! Never a JW either, but I married one. I understand the Witness madness. I like talking about the Christian thing and I would be respectful of what you believe.

You might also check out a www.meetup.com in your area.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I live in the Bay area, East Bay actually. I am much older than you, I have children your age, but if you need a mom type listening ear, I am available.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Oaktown, sweetie (peace!), with a son your age and a daughter older (35)... but I don't "mommy", sorry. Not my "thang."

I believe in God, and God's son.

(Smile) Praise JAH, chile'!

I have a lot to talk about, but need to find people to do that with. It's hard to find folks interested. I'm turned off by religion bashing (ours or others) and am more interested in the actual content. What I read makes total sense—but it seems no one else believes what I believe... but kind of hard to figure that out when you have to protect your identify and can't find an appropriate forum.

Try here: http://xjwsforchrist.madmooseforum.com/index.php

Maybe it's what you're looking for, maybe not. But by all means, continue to visit and post here as well! This is kind of the "zocalo" (town square) were ALL manner of thinking meets... with differences branching off to other sites. But you can't make a REAL choice, can you... if you don't allow yourself to check out all of the info. What you DO with that info... or, rather, what that info does to YOU... well, that's another thing altogether.

Take your time, chile, take your time. Hear everybody out.

Peace!

A doulos (slave) of Christ,

SA

• wantarevolution
    wantarevolution

We are sort of still active (wife and I, in our 30's) and in the bay area (one of the halls in the city)

just adding us to the list :)

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Nibbled, Welcome!

You live in such a beautiful area.

Just Lois

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Welcome! The wife and I visit SF, but live a few hours north.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit