NRA Targets Obama Daughters; Limbaugh Mocks Murdered Children

by BizzyBee 246 Replies latest members politics

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Obama is exploiting emotions and using the childens interests fallacy

Must be pretty effective or the GOP wouldn't do it, too:

• james_woods
    james_woods

OK BizzyBee - I know you hate the NRA and also hate guns. Point taken.

However, they DO have a valid point:

Obama and his family are constantly under armed protection, but he does not want that for ordinary people.

If it had been up to me, I would have made that point without mentioning the girls.

Also, if it had been up to me, I would not have paraded the children in front of the cameras as Obama did in yesterday's press conference.

James,

I have guns and strongly believe in 2nd Amendment rights. But I think some sensible gun regulation would help reduce gun violence. I believe regulation should be at the federal level, so that it is consistent in all the states. Background checks are essential, and should be thorough. Wait times help diffuse situations where a guy/gal pissed off in the moment goes out and buys a gun, but then cools off before he gets it via the passage of time.

I'm not convinced that magazine size restrictions will reduce gun violence casualties. Ditto for so-called "assault weapons bans" that focus on cosmetics rather than gun function.

Something does need to be done, but I do not have the answers, other than the ideas that I put in the first paragraph of this post.

I disagree that the NRA's point about armed guards protecting the Obama kids is valid. There is an obvious need for Secret Service protection for the President and his family members. There is no obvious need to put armed guards in schools.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Well, 144001 - on the armed guards for schools - that really is the ONLY provision which has yet been proposed which would have had a chance of stopping the Newtown shootings.

None of the laws being proposed would have prevented that crazy kid from getting his hands on his mother's legally obtained guns.

I am afraid we are going to see a lot of regulation go down which will be opressive to legal gun ownership, but which will be completely ineffective in stopping gun crimes such as the school shootings.

James:

I'm not convinced that an armed guard would have necessarily stopped the Sandy Hook massacre, but will agree that those kids would have had better chances had an armed guard been there.

Adam Lanza was deranged, but from news reports, he was intelligent. He likely would have planned to kill the guard first, and with the firepower he was carrying, and the crazy mental state he was obviously in, he would have had a very good chance of doing so.

I agree that the current proposals would not have stopped the Sandy Hook massacre, and I also believe that we will see much more unnecessary regulation as politicians exploit this tragedy, and the current mood of this country, for their own political gain.

This is a situation where studies need to be done, immediately, to determine what proposals would best protect us while minimizing the impact on our 2nd Amendment rights.

I hate knee-jerk problem solutions that unnecessarily trample on our rights. But I do think that some changes need to be made, including regulating at the federal level to prevent a person unable to buy a gun in one state from doing so in another state. I acknowledge that this wouldn't have prevented Sandy Hook, since the killer didn't own the guns he used, but I think it is likely that this change will prevent some incidents of this nature from occurring.

Schools are already enhancing security in response to Sandy Hook. Over here, my kids school has already done two lockdown drills to prepare for this sort of possibility, notwithstanding the lack of any local incidents in which schools were attacked. I'm in favor of that, but I would be disappointed if my kids school put armed guards or cops on duty at the school. Our schools should not be prisons.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Gun Control in America and China – An American Expat’s View on the Role of Guns in Society

JAN 9

Posted by Cyrus Janssen

A challenge to look at America from a different perspective...outside the box

A challenge to look at America from a different perspective…outside the box

Over the last 9 months, America has been torn apart with 3 separate gun shootings killing over 47 innocent people. As an American living abroad, my heart aches every time I hear another devastating story of gun violence back home. Now I know most of my American friends will disagree with what I am about to say however I want to express my opinions as someone who understands American culture but has the chance to view our country while living abroad. Many people say “Guns don’t kill people, people kill people.” In my opinion guns are an issue and here is why…

First of all read that last sentence I wrote again clearly. I said, “Guns are an issue ” not “guns are the issue “. To those arguing the real problem is the violent movies and video games that our youth is exposed to, I completely agree with you, that is also an issue . Unfortunately guns have become so engrained in American culture that it is the most fundamentally distinct quality that citizens of other countries know about America. Read that sentence again. America is one of the greatest and most powerful countries in the world and our entire reputation abroad is built upon our love of firearms. As a fellow American I think this is a big issue and something that needs to change.

k any Chinese citizen about their thoughts of America and 9/10 people will mention the fact that American citizens can privately own guns.

Over the past six years I have called China my home. I see the world in a different light because of my experiences here. To be completely honest, I feel much safer walking the streets of China than I do America. I know that I can walk down any street, at any time of night, drive a car anywhere, at anytime in the city, and live comfortably in my home and have zero chance of being the victim of gun crime.

Now am I saying that China is perfect? Of course not! China also has crime problems. Just days after the devastating school shooting in America, China had a knife attack in a local school injuring 22 children. However all 22 of these children will be able to recover from there injuries and most importantly there were no casualties . Fortunately due to a severe judicial system that makes crime almost unthinkable, Communist China experiences a much lower crime rate than America. For those interested to read more about crime in China, here is the United States Department of States Safety Report for Shanghai detailing the biggest crime threats remain financially motivated, with pick pocketing and bank scams at the top of the list. Compare this to America where the 3rd largest city, Chicago experience more murders than Afghanistan!

Is this really the best solution moving forward?

Is this really the best solution moving forward?

So what is the solution? Unfortunately there is none for America. After years of having “the right to bare arms” brainwashed into our minds America’s love for guns is too strong to change. For example, British CNN Host Piers Morgan expressed his dislikes on America’s gun control and within 72 hours had over 30,000 people sign a petition to deport him back to Britain. Wait a minute…wasn’t Piers Morgan exercising his freedom of speech? Isn’t that his right according to the first amendment of the constitution? Its funny how people immediately forget the first amendment and go directly to the second in gun control debates.

My solution is not to make guns illegal because it would only intensify the situation. There are nearly the same amount of gun dealers as there are gas stations in America. How could we possibly get rid of 270 million firearms? In my opinion the only way to prevent future tragedies is to make gun crime an absolute unthinkable crime. We need to reexamine America’s judicial system and make the penalties more severe.

In closing, I want to use an example of how China solved their drunk driving problems. When I first arrived in 2007, Shanghai experienced a tremendous amount of drunk driving, the penalties weren’t tough enough, and if you had enough money you could pay the officer off and get away with it. Over the past 6 years laws have gotten tighter and now drunk driving has been almost completely eliminated. What’s the difference? A new law that went into effect on Jan 1, 2013. Get caught drunk driving and immediately to prison for 6 months. No phone calls to the family, no lawyers, you blow over the limit, straight to the slammer for the next 180 days. To severe? I don’t think so….if America had this way of thinking I guarantee you problems like homicides and drunk driving would almost be completely eliminated over night.

In conclusion, I want to address the fact of these suicide bombers. Obviously they are not worried about a severe judicial system that would punish them. Unfortunately in this day of age we must be very vigilant and aware of our surroundings no matter where we live in the world. Anytime, anywhere, anyone could be the victim of a terrorist attach. Even in the safest country in the world, if someone wanting to commit a crime they will find a way to do it.

I hope this post provides a different perspective on the gun situation. All the opinions and ideas expressed in this article are my own but I am interested to hear what others think. So what is your solution to the gun problem?

Share this:
  • BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I know you hate the NRA

I despise their underhanded tactics and I'm in good and growing company.

he does not want that for ordinary people.

Obama may not be proposing Secret Service protection for all children, but he is supporting guards in schools:

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

BTW, james have you actually read the 23 Executive Actions?

• james_woods
    james_woods

Yes, I have read them.

The one I find the most stupid is having the CDC do a study on gun crime.

The CDC!

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

There are now hundreds of volunteers that are armed, driving marked cars - some with fully automatic weapons - that have been dispatched to schools in Los Angeles and a county in Arizona. The actual number won't be released but there are whispers that the number is 3,500 fully armed, semi and fully automatic, militia guarding the schools.

Now - this is all costing money because the districts have to insure everyone - cost is in the millions.

The question is - do they remain for all after school activities? What schools and what ages? What happens if the same nutbar decides to wait and hit up the small tykes ballet school where a hundred kids are taking classes? Does the focus run over there now and we put another 3,000 armed guards there? How about the all the school clubs that teachers work on after hours? Policed? What age do we tell kids it's time for them to go get a gun and be ready to kill someone because our armed guards only protect ages 5-9? Doesn't anyone recognize the cult like indoctrination that happens here? When you teach a child that his future can only exist if he has a gun - how long before that kid is like the Mormon kid that is afraid of taking off the magic underwear because he will die? Or the JW kid who believes that if he will die if he leaves the organization? How do you ever teach your child what freedom is when his freedom exists on his ability to carry and fire a weapon? That he must be prepared to kill another human being, perhaps one of his own school mates, because if you carry a gun you have to at some level be prepared to devalue that other life in a hurry?

sammieswife

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

The one I find the most stupid is having the CDC do a study on gun crime.

Really? It's just information. Nothing to be frightened of.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit