I've made an appointment to see the head teacher about God and creation

by not bitter 76 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

without studying them you cant give your opinion on that - unstop

Yes I can. They are all founded on the false premise of theism which I have studied very thoroughly.

People who oppose evolution are either willfully ignorant, religiously motivated or both.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

thats a double standard you have set up cofty

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am shocked beyond belief that a school, supported with state funds, is allowed to teach creationism and God in this day in Great Britain. Perhaps she has classmate who is raised in a fundie family. Although Great Britain has no Establishment Clause banning separation of church and state (the American one is more complex but people have the idea), our American rights are primarily British rights. Geo. Washington, Ben Franklin, John Adams were all loyal British citizens and praised George III profusely just before the American Revolution that was a rebellion.

Perhaps I have watched too many Masterpiece Classics on American TV or read The Economist too frequently but Britain is a modern, pluralistic society. Because of colonialism, you must have many Moslems and Hindus who would not be happy with this arrangement.

I did have a history teacher, though, who told us that Christopher Columbus and Queen Elizabeth were Africans. If you dispute her, your grade slipped far. Finally, we confronted the head of the department as a group. Another character was my fifth grade class at the height of the Cold War. She taught us that the Republican Party was with God. The Democrats were commies. When the teacher's union went on strike, she proudly stood in the school auditorium and proclaimed that the other teachers were getting their orders from Moscow and actually twirled an American flag the way baton twirlers do. B/c we were younger, no one disputed her. When she made her remarks in front of a large crowd of adult Republicans and Democrats, no one challenged her. I was older but was forbidden to speak under the meeting rules.

Asking for clarification to trace the source is a good idea.

If this can happen in a state school will the British contingent inform me? I understand that it is possible in a private or faith school.

Evolution is accepted by society in general. It must be taught as science here. The only place creationism can be taught in public schools is through a comparative religion social studies class. Teachers support with public funds should not preach their beliefs. It is not appropriate. Their job is to teach the curriculum agreed upon by the school board.

Of course, I spent countless hours supporting the Witness view in junior high. The teacher was shocked that I was the one. I did not even believe in creation. Loss of love will compromise you.

• cofty
    cofty

thats a double standard you have set up cofty

I just explained why it isn't.

• jgnat
  • Terry
    Terry

Schools should teach skills that help the child to function better in reality.

How to open a checking/savings account and balance it properly.

How to shop for the best bargains.

How to buy a car and what to avoid.

How to do practical math in your head and what mistake people make with per centages.

How to know the difference between a good book and an lousy one.

How to write legibly and not commit egregious spelling and grammar errors.

Understanding logical fallacies with examples of them in everyday use by the media.

A way of approaching history that doesn't require memorizing long lists of events/dates. All history is a rehearsal for what is still happening today.

Instead, schools have become a reflection of trends in social engineering and phony rah rah indoctrination of political/religious misconceptions.

If you can't teach a child the difference between an OPINION and a FACT you should not be teaching them anything.

• not bitter
    not bitter

Tammy and Mamochan13 - some very good advice thankyou.

I think I need to find out the source first. It may not have come from her teacher. It could be in morning assembly or another child. I may never know.

I need to find out what they are teaching and remind them that they should not be telling children that God is real and that he created everything including us.

I don't mind her learing about religions. It gives a greater understanding of how society works. Especially here in the UK as we have so many people of different races and religions. Plus it comes in handy for the pub quiz.

jgnat - And I will try not to worry too much about it. I mustn't become too militant.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

not bitter : im taking it as you didnt like my advice about the gift card? lol

• jgnat
    jgnat

Just you wait and see, lol. The kid will practically raise herself!

• cantleave
    cantleave

Go on the school website and look at their policy on collective worship, curriculum and teaching of religious education most schools in UK provide a link to this information. Uk schools usually confine Bible stories to RE or assembly times and the story should be presented as a story. Ask the Head teacher to clarify how this topic was being approached in school and what was the aim of the lesson. It may be that your child misunderstood the lesson and the purpose behind it. Also if you are armed with the policy information then you have the tools to challenge anything that is incorrect. Use the meeting to get clarity rather than confrontation. Explain that you are exploring other myths and faiths at home and ask if the school also will be covering other faiths and religions during the year.

Children can also be very literal at that age and have difficulty understanding the difference between reality and fiction. However they grow and develop and change their beliefs and ideas. Many young children believe in Santa but they grow to realise that he is a myth and presents come from mum and dad. In a faith school where religion is presented as a way to view the world young children will mimic this too. However as they grow up and move into the more secular world of secondary education they challenge this. What is important is to give them the tools and approval to use education wisely and learn how to take ideas and look at them critically.

Our children attended a Cof E school in Hampshire and have been taught about many religions not just the traditional Christian paradigm. My son still believes in God and has formed his own opinion of what his faith means to him. My daughter is not religious at all. She is older and once we left the religion she transitioned easily to a more secular viewpoint. I think my son has the right to develop his ideas in his own time. I just give them the tools and permission to do so.

Nugget as my daughter has pinched my laptop.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit