I've made an appointment to see the head teacher about God and creation

by not bitter 76 Replies latest jw friends

• not bitter
    not bitter

A bit of background

My 6 year old talks about God an awful lot. Well more than I'm comfortable with. I don't stop her as such but I always try to emphasise that she should try to find evidence before deciding that God is real. We have started to read Greek Mythology which helps in teaching her that God is very much a myth too.

Anyway, she keeps telling me that God made us and he made everything on earth. I tell her that we don't know that for sure as there is no evidence to prove that. I do explain to her what the words evidence and proof mean. But she says that the teachers told her its true so it is because the teachers know everything and they're not allowed to lie.

So I've made an appointment to speak to the head teacher next Wed. I'm not absolutely sure what I want to say to him or how to approach the whole subject. I'm not 100% sure what I'm trying to achieve to be honest. I don't want her kept out of assemblies like I was. I think I need clarification on what they are teaching her. At the same time I don't want to fall out with the school.

Maybe I'm overreacting due to my upbringing. My husband thinks I'm nuts. When I told him I'm planning to speak to the head he said ''Here we go again''

I welcome any advise on what I should say and how I should say it.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I wouldn't worry too much about it. When my children were about the same age, they came home spelling a word wrong. I argued for hours over it. Their unassailable answer, "Teacher spelled it that way and teacher is never wrong."

It's a developmental phase, soon to be replaced when they are teenagers, to their peers. Adults won't rate any more.

They won't recognize how smart you are again until they are in their mid-twenties and life knocks them around a little bit.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

thank the teacher for teaching the truth,when i was in school crowmagum man was taught and pushed down my throat, give him a gift card and tell him thanks for being couragous enough to speak the truth!

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

I would purchase Richard Dawkins book " The Magic of Reality" as it takes several topics and shows how man from varying cultures from our past believed things were created or myths were started etc then he goes forward and explains how we know these things to not be true today.

Very good book for children as it shows that we should have evidence to believe something.

Check a review of the book on youtube explaining some of the features of the book.

Also comes as a iPad app if you have that device. Well worth the price, pennies on the dollar for your child's future.

NJY

• cofty
    cofty

What country ar you in? Isn't it illegal to preach in USA?

I totally agree with notjustyet about Dawkin's children's book.

• not bitter
    not bitter

I plan to get the Dawkins book but I feel she may be tad young right now. I beleive its aimed from 8 yrs up.

I'm in the UK. The law here is rather ambiguous as far as I can tell. I don't think they're allowed to teach creation as fact though.

Maybe I am overreacting but I'm so paranoid after the upbringing I've had. I've only started to think for myself in the last 6 years!

• cofty
    cofty

Yes its difficult here in the UK, especially in the growing number of "faith schools" - an oxymoron if ever there was one.

They are still not allowed to preach creationism. At most they can inform children that this is what some people believe.

If it was me I would have a quiet word with the class teacher or headteacher.

• tec
    tec

What kind of school system is this? Catholic, protestant, some other faith school, or simply public?

Peace,

tammy

• not bitter
    not bitter

Its a state school, what you would call public. Public school in the UK is private school.

Although I am athiest I don't want to push that on my child. Well I do but I won't because if I did I would be as bad as my parents. I want her to think for herself and make her own decisions when she is old enough.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Six year olds are sponges, not bitter. It will be many years before she starts making her own conclusions. I think if you keep adding to her mix she'll be fine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit