I've made an appointment to see the head teacher about God and creation

by not bitter 76 Replies latest jw friends

• cantleave
    cantleave

Unstop how would you like if your kids were taught that the Lord of the Rings book are based on real history?

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

do you guys listen when i type,i know i suck at spelling and grammer ,but really? come on ,to many ppl evolution is like lord of the rings! it goes both ways, sense that the case ,have none in school or present both,you want ppl to hear of evolution but not god,pretty hyporctical to me!

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

cant leave: if you were wrong about the packers....

• cofty
    cofty
    to many ppl evolution is like lord of the rings

Yes but none of those people have stuied evolution so they are not entitled to an opinion.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

cofty: have you studied, mormonism,rcc,islam,?

• james_woods
    james_woods

I am tired of arguing this ridiculous point.

School - public school - is the place for teaching real things - real math, real language, real science, real history.

It is NOT the place for teaching religion.

If you want your children to be taught religion to the exclusion of science or history - then put them in a specific religious school or try to home-school them yourself. This is, of course, to the eventual educational harm of the child - but that remains your right in U.S. society.

That is all that I have to say on this subject.

• cantleave
    cantleave

The difference between Science and religion is - we are both using the results of science as we type!

As for the Packers, our Blondie bought me that T. Shirt

• cofty
    cofty
    cofty: have you studied, mormonism,rcc,islam,?

I've studied theism very thoroughly. Theism includes all of the above.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

without studying them you cant give your opinion on that,according to your logic,think about it,your saying a person should not have an opinion until they study something out, sense you havent you cant say they are wrong,right?

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Notbitter - I admit I am very surprised that a teacher would say something like that and I think you are right to have a meeting. If the teacher has a religious view, it's fine to express that, but children need to be told that it's not fact, it's the teacher's viewpoint. My first thought was that your child was in a Catholic school, but clearly that's not the case. Small children do absorb things and often they confuse what's being said, so it is prudent for you as a parent to clarify what the teacher did say, and if in fact she presented an opinion as fact, this needs to be addressed.

My grandkids are always asking me the same kinds of questions, but they are getting the god/creation propaganda from their father, not the school. I try very hard to counteract that by reinforcing that, "yes, some people believe that. But here's what I believe and here's some evidence for you to think about" to encourage critical thinking. Children are impressionable and they are in the process of forming their worldview, so it's important as a parent to know what things they are being told in the schools and elsewhere. You are doing the right thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit