How Modern Christianity has failed Christians

by Christ Alone 277 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cofty
    cofty

Tell us why you "left the faith" again.

Because it required too much mental gymnastics to go on defending it.

• bohm
    bohm

Dd: Should we trade the Gospel for wisdom

hahaha!

you just do what you think is best!

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Deputy, no discouragement from you! I think that no matter how intellectual our arguments, they will always sound foolish to the world. But our faith SHOULD be reasonable. We should be able to give a reason to those that ask one of us. (1Pet 3:15) If we just claim that faith and belief is glorious and does not need to be reasonable, then we will never be able to give an answer, especially in our post modern culture. It is only the Holy Spirit that helps a non Christian to open their mind to the truth of the Gospel. Not a person. However, many times God's Spirit works through sound apologetic arguments to help a non believer see the reason in belief. There are those, who are plentiful on this site, that will not believe no matter what sound arguments are given. But there is a reason why faith is what pleases God, and not a boasting over our own wisdom.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Cofty, I thought you left because a pastor at your church died and you couldn't understand how God could allow that...if he was "good" (by whoevers standard that is)

• cofty
    cofty

There are those, who are plentiful on this site, that will not believe no matter what sound arguments are given.

I think that's just something you tell yourself because you don't have any sound arguments.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Yes, I know your position that all arguments for a belief in God are false and weak, cofty.

• cofty
    cofty

CA - No that's a gross distortion of my story. I would be happy to share it if its relevant.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I thought that was the springboard that started everything off. I didn't mean to distort the story. I really thought that was the main reason that got you thinking that maybe God was not as good as we thought he was.

• bohm
    bohm

Christ alone: There are those, who are plentiful on this site, that will not believe no matter what sound arguments are given

Awsome arguments! What a display of wisdom!

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

That was me speaking to another believer, bohm. But in terms of argument, it is a better argument to say that something was made than to say that without direction something came from nothing. That is what atheists understand about the universe. Either the universe is eternal and there was always "something", or at some point something came from nothing. I believe it's a better argument (and a more reasonable one) to say that something came from something. Eternity is something that must be taken into account in both science and belief. Something has to be eternal, otherwise something came from nothing. An eternal God sounds more reasonable to me than an eternal string of never ending big bangs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit