JW.org reports on the Sandy Hook shooting...

by cedars 112 Replies latest jw friends

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

The WBTS created the JW culture, and the JW culture is the problem with JW's. Not just doctrine.

That just about sums it up. Good point.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    I have housebound relatives who are witnesses who routinely send out letters to families listed in obituaries.....scotoma

I write letters to Dead peoples Relatives..

Hardly anyone Calls the Police!..

thsmilie_happy_251.gif

......................  mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• Dagney
    Dagney

Does anybody remember the counsel from a CA 10 or so years ago where they advised that it would be appropriate to not just give literature to a bereaved nonJW. NOW it would be appropriate to bring over a caserole or something along with the literature.

"Well thank you WBTS for that wise and timely counsel! How thoughtful and giving of you!" (Even though non believers have been doing that like forever as they think about the needs of others.) Everybody in my group got a kick out that advice...we were teasing about it for days.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Dang!! The next thing you know, they'll all be acting like Baptists!!!

[Bringing casseroles and pot-lucks for people having troubles is a FAMOUS Baptist behavior...]

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Outlaw - You're a hoot!

• Open mind
    Open mind

At first read of this thread I was more supportive of cedars position and opposed to scotoma's until I took the time to actually LOOK at the JW.org website news section. As you would expect, it's not a "News Website" like MSN, CNN, BBC, etc. You would only go to JW.org if you've got an interest in JWs. So they have a "News" section where ALL the stories have some JW connection. Is that really so bad or unusual?

Having only been faded for a couple years now, I'm still trying to calibrate my own sense of "normal". So, just out of curiosity, I randomly picked a generic, mainstream, American branch of a Christian church and googled it. My first pick was the Lutherans and here's what I found front and center:

http://thenalc.org/

Hurricane Sandy Disaster Relief

The NALC has a disaster recovery coordinator, Mary Woodward. Mary is in daily contact with FEMA by telephone, as the assessment of needs progresses. Mary has also contacted our church offices, and is working to identify impacted Lutheran families and congregations.

Most importantly, please keep these families in your prayers. If you are able to volunteer for response, please contact Mary by email...

(Bold added)

The extra connection that fellow church members have for each other is not too surprising.

So Church X's website's "News" section only features news items if they have a connection to Church X. The JWs aren't that strange in this regard, IMO. I think that portion of the WT criticism found in this thead is a bit over the top and I'm certainly no fanboy of the WT.

I totally agree that the comfort and support being offered by the JWs ultimately is offered with the goal of converting new recruits.

My $.02.

om

• cedars
    cedars

Open mind

So they have a "News" section where ALL the stories have some JW connection. Is that really so bad or unusual?

I understand your sentiments, but the first few words of the press release are definitely worded with a view to informing the reader about the tragedy with the assumption that they are so far oblivious to it. In that respect, it is very much a news report. The Lutheran article you point to isn't a news report, but an update on relief efforts for Lutherans.

Anyway, why can't the "JW connection" be along the lines of... "the thoughts and prayers of Jehovah's Witnesses around the world will be with the families involved in this tragedy, in hopeful expectation of Christ's kingdom rule over the Earth when mindless acts of violence will no longer scourge mankind." Answer? Because the organization really doesn't give a damn about non-Witnesses. When Armageddon comes, they're all toast anyway.

Cedars

• shadow
    shadow

scotoma's comments are spot on.

• eva luna
    eva luna

From what JW GoneBad is saying . The local JWs are focusing on the 2 tracts about The End and Where The Dead Are.

Many, or I should say all, the Families of the Children that died, that I have seen interviewed, already have their own faith. The are saying their faith is what is holing them together over this profound loss.

How horrible to go to homes, at this time, and try to take away what is helping people cope.

It's cruel, inappropiate and insensitive.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

So you say shadow. Me thinks sco's comments are meant to shut folks up about bad talking the wt. Not going to happen here. But keep on with the whining...it's amusing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit