Anyone else like to sew??? What kind of Machine do you use???

by ohiocowboy 67 Replies latest social entertainment

• still thinking
    still thinking

I used to sew for a job...I freaking hate sewing...lol

I'll glue or staple things together before I'll sew them now...Iron up hems with tape....shit, I made a whole curtain (roman blind) with no sew, iron on tape. And it works perfectly...ROFL

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Hi Clarity, I got your PM and responded!

Flyin', we would love to see the flags!

Hello Still thinking! You made a Roman Shade using iron on tape, and it turned out? Interesting. I tried making Roman Shades with a machine and they just didn't turn out right. Perhaps I'll take a look online to see if there are instructions for doing it the way you did. Thanks for your input!!!

Good evening Mrs. Jones! I have a box with a bunch of attachments, and when I dig it out I will drop you a note to let you know what ones I have to see if I have something that you are looking for. I'm sure that most if not all are Singer. It would be a pleasure to gift you any that I have as I never really use them, and would be grateful that they are going to someone who can make use of them!

A jeans company would be sooo cool! Whenever I'm out, I always look at the jeans section of thrift stores to find the rare "Big E" Levi's products and any unusual jeans. In all my years of looking, I've only found 2 pairs of jeans and one jacket with the Big E label. It's fun to look on Ebay to see how much a pair of jeans can go for, and it is not uncommon for them to go for over $1,000 for unusual jeans.

Take a look at this pair of 1940's Levi 501's. They recently sold for over $6,000 on Ebay!!! The lucky person who sold them probably got them for a song from a thrift shop or yard sale for some outrageous amount like a dollar or something. If we could only luck out like that we'd have it made!

I wish you success in your business venture, and like I said I'll let you know as soon as I go through the attachments.

Have a lovely day!

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Mrs. Jones, I was just looking at some sewing machines on Ebay, and here is one that was made for you!!! It is a Jones Brand! Look how ornate and beautiful it is! I wish that I was rich, I would buy it for you for X-mas. Maybe when I win the lottery-lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JONES-HAND-CRANK-SEWING-MACHINE-SEWS-VG-LATE-1800s-/261134713851?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cccd783fb

Here's another one that allows you to zoom in really close on the pictures.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920c-Jones-Family-Hand-Crank-Sewing-Machine-QUEEN-ALEXANDRA-made-in-the-UK-/310526027771?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item484ccb27fb

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Here's an old thread about sewing from over 8 years ago! It was shortly after I first started posting here, and was still living in Dayton, Ohio at the time. Time flies!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/74561/1/Question-for-people-who-sew-craft

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I love vintage sewing machines. Some if them are very beautiful. Funny that I had to come back to California to find the ones I have.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Get some good glue for the rods ohiocowboy, and make sure you put a rod on every fold. It folds better than every second one, so you use 6 rods instead of 3. I used a glue for attaching beads to fabric. Those rods will never come off!

Also, the no sew gives you a nicer finish. But make sure you iron it really well so it sticks properly. The only thing I confess to sewing on were the little rings for threading the string through. There was NO getting around it. Although, maybe..........I could have glued them (not sure about that though)...LOL

Where there is a will there is a way...

Oh, the other trick, is to make sure your top section is 1 1/2 times the width of the middle sections, and bottom section (with the weight in) is half the width of the middle sections. That way when it is folded up they will all hide behind the top section, not hanging down, and giving you a nice tidy blind.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I'm going to start with pictures of Jenison Marching Band's 2012 show Joan. The show is about Joan of Arc. The colorguard is integral in telling the story of Joan. The show has four parts and four flags.

1. Part 1 is Visionary and the flag is a 56 piece stained glass window.
    2. Part 2 is Warrior and the flag is a fleur-de-lis
    3. Part 3 is Martyr and the flags are fire or flames.
    4. Part 4 is Saint so the flags represent Heaven.

These pictures are from the Bands of America Regional Competition at Pontiac Silver Dome. It's early in October, so you won't see all four colorguard costumes. They have one for each part of the show. Keep in mind that Jamie, our guard instructor designed the flags and costumes you do see. He and one gal sewed the costumes: 29 times four changes. He sewed the prototype flags and then we parents and boosters, including a dad or two now and then, cut and sewed the flags. I'll find and post some videos of both Tempest's Fury JMB 2011 show and Joan JMB 2012 show so you can see these beautiful flags in action. Plus the band and guard are incredible to listen to and watch. I will look for Tempest's Fury flags to post as well. We save Jenison Marching Band and colorguard thousands of dollars, sewing these flags and costumes ourselves.

• clarity
    clarity

Omg ......Flying those flags are so beautiful!

>

Is the material silk or a synthetic .... they are just billowing

in the wind ......nice work!

You must have the patience of Job ....as they say

clarity

• clarity
    clarity

Ohio ..... looked at those threads ....wow next time

I shop for used jeans, I'll take a closer look! Amazing what

people will pay for "old" .

>

Forgot that one of my machines had a bullet bobbin till now.

Are those bobbins out of date or are they still manufactured?

>

The discussion on whether to wash fabric before sewing was

interesting .... my motto is to wash everything first ...unless

of course it would always be drycleaned & then no.

>

That way the sizing in the fabric doesn't guk up the needle

and clawfoot and when you are done there is no fear of washing!

>

clarity

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Tempest's Fury had five parts to the show and two costumes for the guard. All of the flags represent storms and weather, as does the music. The guard costumes are of course the Tempest. The show begins with 20 foot long chevron flags. There is a rain flag.A lightening flag. There is a point where the eye of the storm passes over and you see peachy colored flags and the music is a soothing ballad. Then you see the main Tempest character bring out flags like the peach one, but in black, gray and silver as the storm comes back. There is a wind flag and a tornado flag.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit