Anyone else like to sew??? What kind of Machine do you use???

by ohiocowboy 67 Replies latest social entertainment

• ziddina
    ziddina

This is going to be a DUMB question - and I haven't read the whole thread, sorry - but...

Do you have your machines cleaned and oiled after they've been in storage for a while, or do you do this yourself?

I ask, because I have home sewing machines AND industrials - the industrials need to be oiled and maintained regularly, and regular maintenance doesn't hurt home sewing machines, either...

Never use that blasted "3-in-1" oil on sewing machines - it tends to become a gooey, sticky brown substance later on that can really muck up your machines. I don't think sewing and fabric stores even sell the gunk anymore; but if they do - avoid it and get oil made specifically for sewing machines.

Also, check your motor belts - and NEVER over-oil the electric motor!! Over-oiling it can cause it to seize up right in the middle of a project...

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Hello Ziddinia! Yes, you are right about the oil. You should never use 3 in one oil as it is much thicker than regular sewing machine oil. Sewing machine oil is a very light oil of low viscosity and any other oil can seize up the machine, and even cause parts to snap and break. Also, one should never use anything like WD 40, as it is not really a lubricant, but a moisture displacer.

The motors in older machines do not need much oil at all. Just a drop or 2 is all that is needed.

After oiling, make sure that you run an old piece of fabric through the machine before sewing, or else you run the risk of oil getting on your good sewing project.

It sounds like you must do a lot of sewing with having industrial machines. What kinds of projects do you do?

Here's a funny story about my experience with industrial machines. My Uncle had a friend who was a Dominatrix. Her name was Mistress JoJo, and she owned a leather store which made their own leather goods. I worked for her for several months, and learned how to make all kinds of unusual items. We used heavy duty machines to sew the leather. It was an interesting job! I was allowed to use my creativity and imagination to make my own designs to sell in the shop. Needless to say, I met some "Interesting" customers, and I even got to "Model" the things I made for a few of them! I still have a pair of leather motorcycle chaps and a harness that I made.

Take care!

• finally awake
    finally awake

I have a Kenmore machine that my Mom bought 25 years ago. It's nothing special, but it gets the job done. I used to sew a lot, clothing and home items, and I've done a bit of quilting. I learned to sew on my Granny's Singer treadle machine.

• moshe
    moshe

They say you can save a lot of money sewing- sometimes you just can't find the right outfit in the store, either.

I got my daughter a Bratz sewing machine some years ago when she was about 7 or 8- guess who knew how to sew and taught my daughter? Yes, me. I had high hopes, but for naught, our Katinka did not progress beyond making pillows.

• moshe
    moshe

I was quite involved in leather work some 30 years ago- I hand stitched my work. I ran into a retired workmate some years ago and he informed me that the custom tool pouch I made for his flashlight and voltage tester was still being used. The color in the embossed initials had faded away, but the stitching was still sound. I used to tell people the tanned cowhide was the most expensive part of the steer. I just remembered, hand sewing the clothes for our teddy bears when I was a little kid- and making sock monkeys.

• clarity
    clarity

Wow Moshe love your dress! ........oh wait that's Klinger!

Daddy teaching daughter to sew, is probably one of 'Katina's'

favorite memories!

c

• jgnat
    jgnat

I did not get much past "middling" when it comes to sewing. A family friend does amazing work that I think you would enjoy:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BarefootModiste

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

One of the best christmas presents that I ever received was a fully stocked sewing box from my grandmother. Mom checked out a book, that she loved as a little girl, that showed how to make doll clothing. So I designed and made my own doll clothing. As an adult I taught myself to sew. I didn't learn to sew everything, but my daugther still has a couple of dresses I made for her. One was a "candy striper" type jumper with simple blouse and the other was a dress I made her for the memorial one year.

My ex husband gave his sister my machine. Grrrr. I want another machine, but I want one that holds the fabric tightly and doesn't lose its thread tension so easily. I like the more simple, basic machines with auto-button hole and a sleeve arm and basic list of stitches. I do have a machine that someone gave me. It's a sears machine in a cabinet and it's too ancient and complex for me to bother with it.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

For the past two years, I have helped cut and sew the flags for Jenison Marching Band's colorguard. We had 29 girls and four flags to sew this year. Plus some extra, just in case. We did a stained glass window flag that had 56 pieces. All our flags and colorguard costumes are designed by Jamie. He's our colorguard instructor and he's an interior decorator. He sewed the four costume changes for the girls himself. Our colorguard has helped Jenison win first place at state for two years. The winterguard has won 1st place for the last three years. Jamie formed a jr varsity winterguard last year and they won first place at state. Their costumes and flags were amazing.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

That is four different flag designs times 29 plus some extras of each.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit