Anyone else like to sew??? What kind of Machine do you use???

by ohiocowboy 67 Replies latest social entertainment

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Helloooo Minimus! Thanks for blessing us with your appearance! Hope you are well!

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I haven't sewn a thing since high school, 30 years ago, but was very much into it. Of course this all started because a few sisters in the Hall started sewing so of course my mother had to go out and get a machine . . . .

Do they still sell patterns and material? Used to be stores that just sold material and certain stores had the big books where you selected your patterns, haven't seen that in decades.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

My mom taught me to sew - and she learned from my dad - who taught her how to use the machine. Someone needs to take Minimus behind the garden shed and show him how it's done! :)

I'll have to see if I can find some pics. My girls were actually on a postcard advertising our city in their flamenco costumes.

• clarity
    clarity

Hello Ohio...

I love that you sew.... here is a very inspiring man who does all sorts

of needle work and his books are fabulous colours....hope you enjoy the link!

>

Kaffe Fassett

http://www.westminsterfabrics.com/pub/singledesigner.jsp?designer=Kaffe%20Fassett&image=&category=0&catname =

>

The Silk Tie quilt that you showed looks great .... how will you get all the ties?

Nice Log Cabin patterns ...should be fun to do ...it's my fav pattern.

>

I would give my right arm(so to speak) to have an old Singer Treadle!

I have quilted on a Singer Slant needle ... not good.

Not enough height on the presser foot! (My bad, I piece&quilt with the machine)

Looked at a cheap Brother(machine) Open Arm, may try it out.

My brother has a Husquvarna that is at least 45 yrs, and still runs like a top!

Have fun ...............clarity

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Good evening, Shirley! Wow, you brought back some fond memories! Yes, they still sell patterns at fabric stores and online. When I was a kid, the biggest names were Butterick and McCall's if I recall correctly. I remember sitting on the stools of the big fabric cutting tables looking through those huge pattern books while my Grandmother was shopping for fabrics and supplies. I even got to pick out the patterns and fabrics that I wanted for my pajamas and shirts that my Grandmother made for me. I still remember very vividly one of the fabrics that I picked out for one of my shirts. It was based on the "Wacky Packages" that they used to sell back in the 70's. Instead of Rice-a-roni in the box, the fabric was "Mice-a-roni" and it showed mice on the box with the play on words. I was so proud of that shirt, and wanted to wear it constantly!

My Grandmother sewed a robe for me when I was about 13 which I still have to this day. I got to cut out the fabric from the pattern, help pin it, and got to help sew it. Every now and then I take it out of the drawer and look at it while I reminisce about the fun times I had with my Grandmother. It has held up well over the past 35 years. Unfortunately, I outgrew it many, many years ago, so it is only something that I can look at and not wear.

Mamochan, yes, please do show us some of your work if you can!

Thanks for the thoughts and the memories!!!

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Hi Clarity! Thanks for the link! I briefly opened it, and as soon as I am done with this post, I will look through the website.

I've been to thrift shops and yard sales, and I see nice silk ties for .50-1.00 each. I've even seen whole bags of them for just a few dollars too, so it will be easy getting enough ties to do a quilt. Of course I will be picky, and make sure that I choose colors and textures that compliment each other. The only bad thing about using silk is that it has a tendency to wear and fray easily if care is not taken, so it will have to be mainly for display and not used often.

If you are looking for an old treadle machine, you can check craigslist for your city, and you can go to any antiques shows or flea markets in your area. They often have the treadle machines, and you can usually get a really nice one fairly inexpensively. i've seen really nice ones in Oak Cabinets in the $150-200 range, and sometimes cheaper as they are not as popular as they used to be. They are really a lot of fun to sew on, and they are a nice display item too!

The older machines were built to last, as most Ladies back then did almost all of the sewing and clothes making for the family, and the machine was a big investment back then. If they are oiled regularly and taken care of, they will work well for many decades, unlike the plastic ones they make nowadays...

Thanks again for the link, I will look at it now.

Wishing you the best!!!

• clarity
    clarity

Ohio ...thanks I'll try Craigslist!

Look at these colours--------------->

http://www.gloriouscolor.com/

clarity

• applehippie
    applehippie

I have several antique sewing machines and took a class to learn how to repair and service them. Those old machines were really built to last. Estate sales are good sources of old sewing machine- I found a Singer model 12 in the cabinet with all the attachments in the drawers. Works beautifully. I took a hand crank machine to my daughter's school when they had a civil war re-enactment day. The boys were fascinated more than the girls!

• clarity
  • ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Clarity, the Pandemonium quilt is Awesome! I don't think I would have the patience to do something so intricate with so many pieces. I can see why they call it Pandemonium!!!

Here's a hint if you want to get some really good top of the line quilting fabrics-Go to Interior designer studios and furniture stores. They have books of designer fabric samples, and the books get replaced when new fabrics come out. Many times they just throw away the old books, and if you ask really nicely and maybe get in good with someone there, they will save the fabric sample books for you. Each book contains anywhere from 50-100 or more swatches or samples. You wouldn't believe what you can get-for free!!! Many of the fabrics in those books are designer fabrics, ie; Kravet, Schumacher, Manuel Canovas, Osborne and Little, Chanel, etc. that cost sometimes $200-400 per yard, and you can get the swatches for free!!!

When I was an Interior Designer, I hated to throw the books away, and I would put them out in front with a free sign, and they would be gone in a heartbeat. The really cool thing is that the fabric samples in the books are already cut into standard squares!

Whenever I would do work for a client, I would keep any leftover fabric for myself, and would make throws, throw pillows, drapes, etc. for myself. Just one of the perks of the business...

Thanks again for the links, there are some neat fabrics! I have them bookmarked and will look further when I am more awake.

I'm off to bed, so I will reply to any comments when I wake up. Have a wonderful night/day everyone, and be happy and safe!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit