Anyone else like to sew??? What kind of Machine do you use???

by ohiocowboy 67 Replies latest social entertainment

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I'm ready to get my sewing machines out of hiding, and will be sewing once again this Winter. I'd like to start quilting again, as it is fun to do, eases stress, and is healthier than just sitting in front of the TV. I have even designed a few items of clothing in the past that I have sold, although I am by no means another Madeleine Vionet or Issey Miyake-lol.

I've always liked sewing machines even as a child (Much to the dismay of my parents-lol), and there are a couple favorites that I have had for many years. One is a Singer featherweight from the 40's, and another is a Singer treadle machine in an Oak case. I love that machine, as it was made in the early 1900's, and the gold decals are done in Egyptian themes. I wish that I had a camera handy, but HERE is the same model machine on Ebay, minus the Oak case, treadle, and drawers. The bobbin is different than the type that is in use today, and is called a "Bullet bobbin" as it looks like a bullet, and the threaded spool fits inside of it. Mine is in excellent condition, and once I get the treadle going, it sews up a storm!!!

For everyday sewing and repairs, ie; hemming, etc. my machine of choice is a Singer featherweight. The featherweight is the most popular machine ever made, and they are still so popular today that the prices for these machines are in the hundreds of dollars each for used ones, even for the standard 221 model. Being an antiques dealer, I have possessed many of these gems, but I have kept 3 for myself. Two of them are the typical glossy black finish model 221's, the other is a model 222k freearm, also in the black finish. I had 4 until the other day, but I have a friend in Florida who also collects featherweights, and I just sent her my only Turquoise colored one as a surprise for the Holidays, as she has all but that one particular color. She even has an uber rare black "crinkle" finish model from 1939-1940 that is valued at $1,000-$1200, which she paid only $10 for! We were together that day treasure hunting when she bought it, and I must say that I was a little bit jealous even though I was happy for her-lol

If you are lucky, you can get a featherweight in the $200-250 range, but it is rare to get one that cheap as most common ones (Glossy black 221 model) range in price from $300-450 depending on the condition and the accessories that come with it. If you have one of these vintage machines, you are very lucky, and if you ever sell it, you will be at least a few hundred dollars ahead!!! They regularly sell on Ebay for top dollar as they are such a desirable machine due to their small size, portability, and ease of use.

A few years ago, I decided that I wanted a machine that does fancy stitches, so I bought a brand new Brother model 1500 on sale. I haven't used it once though, as I enjoy my vintage machines much more, and all I need is a straight stitch. Also, there is nothing like the sound and the smell of a vintage motor whirring away!

Sewing machine accessories are also fun to use. Besides the standard attachments such as buttonholers, binders, zigzaggers and edgers, there are some rare ones that are also valuable, and in some cases are worth more that the machine itself!!!

I am deciding what kind of quilt to make this time. I am leaning towards a silk tie quilt, made only of vintage silk ties. I've seen pictures of some, and they look really neat! HERE is an example. I have 11 antique quilts in total, ranging in age from the late 1800's to the 1930's, and in many different patterns, such as double wedding ring, victorian crazy quilt, bowtie quilt, log cabin, and others. My own hand made quilt will be a nice addition to the collection, and it can be passed down to family.

So, so, do you sew? What kind of machine(s) do you have? What do you make?

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I LOVE sewing. Have done all kinds of creative stuff, especially when my kids were younger and I would do dance costumes - hours and hours of spandex and ruffles! I had left it for a long time, but I've started again recently, mostly sewing patches on the grandsons' jeans, taking out the adjustable elastic waistline buttons (my oldest grandson hates how they gouge his flesh) and making patchwork quilts.

I have a very old Bernina and a newer Bernina. I love the old one - but the grandkids did something to it and it's acting up. It was my very first free-arm machine I ever owned, and I was blown away at all the things I could suddenly do. I sewed nonstop with that workhorse.

My newer Bernina (12 years old?) does all kinds of fancy stitches, but I don't use any of them. The designers incorporated some very irritating features into it, too. For example, the needle automatically always lifts out of the fabric when you lift the pedal - so no leaving it in to hold the fabric in place when you want to turn a corner. The bobbin also acts up a lot.

I also have a Pfaff serger. I like it for the most part, and it was one of the priciest on the market when I got it 20 years ago, but it has proven to be very finicky and high maintenance. Last time I took it in for repair I was told they no longer make any of the parts, so I may be out of luck if it breaks down again.

I also have my grandmas original black Singer treadle machine, which dates back to the early 40s, I think. It has the gold Egyptian symbols on it. I always loved watching her manipulate the pedal, hearing the clacking sound of the needle up and down.

• Aware!
    Aware!

I took home economics in high school because I wanted to learn how to cook, and sewing was part of the curriculum. Didn't learn much about sewing except for a few sewing machine stitches, and cooking was a big disappointment because it was mainly baking. The Singer treadle machine you mentioned is very nice.

Oh, and now that I remember, an aunt gifted me a knitting board so that I could make a scarf during the winter (like 2 or 3 years ago), but I never finished it, lol. Too much work. It's in a drawer somewhere (unfinished).

• minimus
  • ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Wow! Bernina machines are the Swiss army knives of the sewing world! As you are finding out, the only bad thing is the cost and lack of availability of parts if they need servicing. Ebay is a good source for parts if you need something that is hard to find though. If it is a simple repair, you can forego the expense of a repair center, unless it is something that needs fine tuning.

My Grandmother used to sew all of the time, and when I was a child she used to let me help her, and I learned at a young age how to thread the machines and to sew straight lines. Many hours were spent in the sewing room, watching intentively and talking with her. I have some very fond memories of that time, even though I was the designated needle and pin picker upper!

I was well rounded when it came to homemaking skills. I took home economic and food service classes in school, and it benefited me greatly after moving away from home. By the time I left, I already had many of the skills to survive on my own without having to learn some of the basic necessities as I already had experience.

I've been to some online forums, and was pleasantly surprised to see more men becoming interested in sewing and similar activities. The stigma of it being a "Girly" thing is wearing off, and more men are having fun with it, and it makes their wives happy as they have something that they can do together that is fun.

It would be neat of you posted some pictures of the costumes that you have made!

Thank you very much for your interest and your reply!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hey, Ohio!

I was a sew-and-sew for years (clothing, window treatments, etc.), but eventually found handling needle and thread too difficult. Never learned to use a machine . . .

CoCo Coudre

• Aware!
    Aware!

"... and it makes their wives happy as they have something that they can do together that is fun."

I bet... and Minimus, you should try it!

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Aware, I too took home economics and cooking classes in school. The sad part is that most of my sewing projects would get stolen! I did win an award in High School for first place cake decorating. I was so proud of that award, and when I came home excited and showed it to my Mother, she hit the roof! She slapped me in the face and said "Why couldn't it have been for football or something"

I still have the award, and it is in a nice home made frame!

You should get the knitting board out and finish a scarf to send to your Aunt!

Have a nice evening!

• minimus
  • ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Hi CoCo! You don't give yourself enough credit. Your work must have been beautiful and incredible if you were as adept with a needle as you are with a quill!!!!

I tried to make my own Roman Shades one time, and they didn't turn out very well, so I gave up with window treatments except for making rod pocket draperies with simple hems.

Hope you are doing well, and have a great Holiday season!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit