Anyone else like to sew??? What kind of Machine do you use???

by ohiocowboy 67 Replies latest social entertainment

• Glander
    Glander

My wife has a Viking and a natural talent for sewing. She goes to thrift stores looking for old patterns. If she doesn't have a pattern she makes one from newspaper. She can turn out beautiful stuff in just a couple of hours. It is kind of amazing to me how fast she works. She had a pattern for a stuffed kangaroo with pouch and baby kanga which she made in an afternoon for a grandaughters 2nd birthday.

She can also crochet beautiful king size bed spreads in about a week while watching TV in the evening.

I can sew a button back on a shirt in a couple of hours.

• clarity
    clarity

I didn't know you were a Interior Decorator Ohio ....

you have done a lot of neat things.

>

I loved those fabric samples too ... but the only sample

books I could get were the ones together with the coordinating

wallpapers.

>

Really have enjoyed this thread ...just noticed that my

stress level goes way down, when the subject is creative, practical

& beautiful .... feels a bit like home

clarity

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

PaintedToeanail, I think I know the old Westinghouse that you are talking about. Is it the one with the rounded wooden case? They were popular in the 20's. I'd be willing to bet that you can buy any parts for it on Ebay, as Westinghouse was a fairly common name in houselhold appliances. If not, you can part out the one you have, and use the money to buy yourself one that is in working order! The Carpet making attachemt must be cool as heck! I bey it would be fun to make your own rug!

I'd love to have another Toy Singer machine. I had one when I lived in Ft. Lauderdale, but I traded it for some other antiques to my friends who collects the machines. Hopefully i will find one at a good price again one day, I can't afford the $200-300 that they are now selling for in good condition!!! Here is as link to what I am talking about. The bidding is only at $30, but will shoot up to over $200...

Toy Sewing Machine

Hello Hortensia!!! I'm glad that you like knitting! I have heard that it is a fun hobby, but unfortuunately I don't have the patience with my hands due to the repetition involved, but I do know that they results can be well worth it for those who have the patience to finish. I know that there are football players who knit, and they say that it actually helps them when they are out on the football field! Who da' thunk it? lol I'd love to be able to do something intricate like Petit point, etc, but again, too much repetition for me, and it is hard for me to stay concentrated on one thing. The nice thing about sewing is that it is easy to just stop the machine, get up and do whatever until I am focused again, and then it is easy to continue where I left off.

Hey Happy Dad! I haven't seen you around in a while. How have you been? That was very nice of you to donate the sewing items to a worthy cause! I bet that the momories of your wife live on every time they use the machine or any other accessories! Being a performing arts school, I bet they have used the things to create some awesome costumes. If you want something for every day, occasional use, you can find a cheap portable at a yard sale or thrift store. They even have the little hand held machines that are battery operated and do a clean straight stitch. They look kinda hokey, but they do work if you are in a pinch and just want something for occasional use for very simple things. Then again, it only cost about $10 to hem a pair of pants at a dry cleaners...

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Hello Mrs. Jones! I hope that you are doing very well! It's nice that you became interested in sewing at such an early age! I'm so happy that you got your degree, especially when higher education was frowned upon in the Org. It sounds like you have an eye for things too, which is just as important and is the perfect compliment to higher education. I worked with a guy who went to school but still didn't know how to blend colors or how to properly mix pattern and texture so that they go well together. He just couldn't get it. The fact that you have the eye, the talent, and the schooling is something to be very proud of and I know you would go a long way if you went into business! Have you designed and come up with a name for a clothing label yet? Have you thought about what your clothing lines would be called?

I bet it's cool that your Hubby shares your sense of fashion. Have you made anything together? You are truly blessed to have someone who shares your interests. I usually have to go at it alone when I am in a creative mood, as my Partner usually doesn't share the same interests that I do. He's more of a couch potato, lol but he does always encourage and compliment me, so that in itself helps make up for it.

If there is a certain type of machine or attachment that you are looking for, let me know and I will keep an eye out. Seriously. I run across lots of things. and I just may be able to get what you are looking for. I've shocked a couple of my friends as they have tried to find certain things over the years but have had no luck finding them even on Ebay, etc. but I have been able to track it down for next to nothing since I know lots of antiques dealers in different states.

The last belt that I got for my treadle machine is made of rubber. I have found it better than the leather belts, as it grabs the flywheel better and doesn't slip near as much or need adjusted like a leather belt. Even better, they are usually cheaper than a leather belt. It's been a few years, but mine cost under 12.00 with shipping, whereas the leather would have been just over 20.00.

Take care, and I send you the fondest wishes for a warm, happy, love filled Holiday season!!!

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

KurtBethel, yep, even if it is just a needle and thread, it is always good to be prepared!

Glander, I bet your wife is very Happy with her Husqvarna Viking, the Rolls Royce of Machines! The Kangaroo sounds adorable, and will be a nice hand me down to future generations! My Grandmother and Mother used to crochet and make nice afghans too. I still have one that my Grandmother made me in the 70's when I was but a wee lad, as well as one that my Mother made for me a few years later. They too used to make them while watching TV. They are real keepsakes, and I wouldn't trade them for the world.

Clarity, yes, this is a fun thread. It's neat to learn new things about each other, and helps show our human side rather than just words on a computer screen. I'm glad that you are feeling at peace, I am too!!!

Warm thoughts to everyone!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I will try to post some pictures of flags for you soon.

• clarity
    clarity

Ohio .......you have a very late ......PM

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" Have you designed and come up with a name for a clothing label yet? Have you thought about what your clothing lines would be called?"

I wish I had the eye for it. I'm more on the technical side (construction ie patternmaking and grading), hubby is more on the creative side. He's a natural born artist, his sketches are brilliant, and he has an eye for style and color. Our dream (really his baby) is to start a jeans company. Yes we have a name but I wanna keep it under wraps until we get this puppy off the ground.

" Have you made anything together?"

Not really but we do bounce ideas off each other.

" If there is a certain type of machine or attachment that you are looking for, let me know and I will keep an eye out. Seriously."

Funny you say that. I'm seriously crazy about Singer/Griest attachments. I've picked up numerous buttonholers and I've been able to find a Singer blindstitcher, a zigzagger with a few cams along with a few basics set of attachments that came with the vintage Singers. I'm alway on the lookout too.

Thank you for the tip about the belt. It's good to know and I think I might try to get both leather and the rubber.

• Glander
    Glander

Not really but we do bounce ideas off each other.

I'll bet. Does he wear a helmet?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

LoL! Not even a jimmy hat Gman.

We're so off topic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit