If god exists...

by dazed but not confused 191 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

If god exists, wouldn’t it make more sense for him to show himself today - now that we are a more enlightened people? Wouldn’t it make sense to show people what he really expects of us now that we have the ability to keep accurate records? Why would he choose a time to “show” himself and create the bible at such a primitive time in history? Seems to me that he would have spared a lot of needless bloodshed and ignorance. The more I think logically and critically about god the more I hate the concept of GOD. Fortunately, from what I can see, that’s all he is… a concept. Man made.

Or am I missing something?

• tec
    tec

If god exists, wouldn’t it make more sense for him to show himself today - now that we are a more enlightened people?

More enlightened in what way?

And why would that matter?

I personally think people are the same as they have ever been. Our knowledge of the world around us has grown, but in comparison to people two thousand years from now... well, we'd probably seem the same to them as people two thousand years ago seem to us.

Wouldn’t it make sense to show people what he really expects of us now that we have the ability to keep accurate records?

Do we keep accurate records though... or is there so much information out there that accuracy gets distorted as much as it ever has. For example: the internet is a great tool for information, as well as a great tool for spreading lies.

What he expects of us... is within us. We have the ability to know... whether we are educated, intelligent, or neither of those.

Love one another; do unto others as you would have them do unto you; do not repay wrong for wrong... I think that all of these got recorded pretty well too. That man has added a bunch or twisted a bunch to these... well, that would happen regardless of our records.

If those things are not within us, then I think that no 'rule' will matter.

Why would he choose a time to “show” himself and create the bible at such a primitive time in history?

Primitive is subjective to the time of the people saying it.

Seems to me that he would have spared a lot of needless bloodshed and ignorance. The more I think logically and critically about god the more I hate the concept of GOD. Fortunately, from what I can see, that’s all he is… a concept. Man made.

I think it would be much the same today, if anyone even listened at all.

Perhaps God sent Christ at the time He did... because that was the best time for Israel.

Or am I missing something?

I'm sure we're all missing something here and there. That doesn't mean the answers aren't there. Just means we don't know them all.

Peace to you,

tammy

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Or why not have done something more recent to show that he without a doubt exists? Like in the last 100 years or so when we can record it via audio or video recording?

• smiddy
    smiddy

I did a similar post some time back and agree entirely with you .With the technology that we have today , their is no excuse for a" GOD" to remain silent as to it`s existence .

smiddy

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Tec- You were born here in the western world. Raised with specific beliefs that you, as it seems to me, would die for. Most Christians I know would die for their religious beliefs. I know I would have when I was a JW. But if you were born in a country and around a culture that said Muhammad was the almighty God or insert your own personal god here, and that is all you knew to be true, why wouldn’t god come down and correct you and everyone else? Why would he want it so confusing for every man, woman and child to chose a path, if he truly wants people to be saved? Is Christianity the right and only true path to salvation in your opinion? How do you know that Buddhism, Judaism or any other religion isn’t the correct one?

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

smiddy- thank you. I will check out your post.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

As a man, I like it when things are clear cut and dry with little wiggle room. I know the world is almost never this way, but with something so important, it seems to me that this is one thing there should be no question about.

Thank you for the responses, however I should have started this in the morning. Im off to bed but will pick this back up in the morning. Keep em comming.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

smiddy- can you post a link? Thanks

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Hitchens and others make a good point which I have never seen effectively refuted. It's this:

Homo Sapiens as a species have been around for at least 100,000 years (probably a lot more). For most of that time they lived in very difficult conditions - low life expectancy, high infant mortality, etc., and in fear of things they didn't understand such as earthquakes, volanoes, tsunami, and so on.

To be a christian you have to believe that for the first 98,000 years or so a caring and all-powerful god watched all this with arms folded. Then he decided to intervene in his creation and decided to do so to a largely illiterate people in a backwater (Palestine) rather than in a relatively advanced civilisation (e.g. China). His chosen method was human sacrifice - an advanced form of 'scapegoating'.

This rather suggests that god was uncaring, or not omniscient, or not all-powerful, or capricious.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

PS: and in the case of the newer religions, e.g. JWs and Mormons, he left it another 2,000 years before communicating the later, truer, stuff.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit