WT Admits It's Free For Them ... But Not For You

by Perry 67 Replies latest watchtower bible

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

design : born agianers hhm has anice ring to it, here the differance jw man authority is wt, mormons authority is book of mormon ,us born againers main authority is gods word the bible. but thanks for the name

• designs
    designs

-Born Againers claim to say the Bible is their authority but as can be seen just on the forum everyone of you has a different take and usually follow some theological perspective. Nice try though

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

thats not true i agree in much detail with alot of born againers on here.

• designs
    designs

Ah you agree with those who agree with you, convenient. Now Perry is one to call people heretics if they stray to far from his views although what makes his views the orthodox are shown by history to be some of the ones that beat out other views by politics and persecution. The various Synods and Church Councils were just meaner versions of the Wt..

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

well luther spoke out against those council ,like i said the five solas of the reformation.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

This is incredible. It made even me sputter, and I'm used to JW doctrine!

The person who wrote this piece most likely had a few drinks before coming home, went home, had a couple of glasses of wine with his meal, didn't feel too well and, fearing he was catching a cold, down a cup of cold medicine, then decided to write the article so he wouldn't have to the next day. It has a woozy quality to it and it certainly isn't justified by scripture.

The truth is, God wants everyone to be resurrected and have a physically real spiritual body like His. When Jesus was resurrected, He did not tell anyone that He was a spirit. Quite to the contrary, He said specifically that He was not a spirit. "Here," He said,"handle me and see. For a spirit hath not flesh and bone as ye see me have." But how, they reasoned, could He go through the ceiling and the doors? Surely He must have been a Spirit, for a flesh and bone being could not do that. But of course they can. The JWs just made a supposition that affects their entire way of doing things, and with no authority at all. After all, what could Jesus do when He was resurrected in Jerusalem? His body was gone from the tomb and his burial clothes were neatly folded right where He left it, so we know it was a physical resurrection. He could go through ceilings and walls, but that's not because He was a spirit; it's because he had molecular control over His entire body. Blood did not flow through his veins, but instead, spirit. They also used to say that John the Baptist wasn't going to heaven because Jesus, although praising him, said that "he who is least in the Kingdom of Heaven is greater that he." By that the Lord meant Himself. He, the Lord, having suffered for all things mortal, had the least claim on the Kingdom. But He was greater than John.

It's painful to read sometimes!

• designs
    designs

Believing your fairytale is true and another's fairytale is false does not make your fairytale true.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

...Mormons’ authority is [the] Book of Mormon, [while] us “born againers’” main
    authority is God’s word, the Bible.

This is why people who want to know about religions should go to people who are members of those religions and not self-styled experts in other sects.

In this case, the authority of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not rest in the Book of Mormon. Books, including the Bible, do not convey authority. No man has ever received even a scintilla of divine authority from a book. Books convey information and intelligence, but not authority—and I challenge anyone to show me otherwise.

Another problem is that the Bible is not complete. There are scores of questions it doesn’t answer. For example: 1) how is baptism performed? 2) who is authorized to perform it? 3) is it still necessary to bestow the gift of the Holy Spirit by the laying on of hands? 4) if so, who is authorized to perform it and what words are said? 5) what are the duties of the various officers? 6) what does a bishop do? 7) what does an elder do? 8) can one elder or bishop ordain another elder or bishop, respectively? 9) who can speak for the entire church? 10) how does the church determine what is scripture? (The early church always had an open canon...in fact, there’s never been a time in the history of the church that the canon has been closed.)

These are just ten questions I came up with off the top of my head. I could easily write another ten, and then another. The view that the Bible is the total and complete Word of God is a very narrow view, and we Mormons don’t apologize for accepting other books of scripture such as the Book of Mormon and Doctrine & Covenants. Both were written by prophets under the inspiration of the Spirit of God or direct visitations by angelic beings in fulfillment of biblical prophecy. What then? If Elijah appears in a temple and conveys the keys of authority for the binding of families forever, wouldn’t that event, if true, be worthy of being recorded in scripture? That can’t happen with a closed canon. Oh, and one more question, 11) if the Lord has a communication for mankind, who could he possibly call on who could authoritatively deliver the message? Would the Methodists listen to a Baptist? Would the Southern Baptist Convention consider the word of a Presbyterian? This business about the “body of Christ” being a collection of competitive religions is a manmade doctrine and is a crock. Certainly, the only man a Jehovah's Witness might listen to would be a member of the Governing Body, and they say they don’t receive revelation...except for “new light.”

If the early church needed to glean authority from the scriptures, what scriptures did the early church use to gain their authority? I see these paranormal shows on TV and the Christian pastor walking around a haunted house with his worn Bible and reading from it. More often than not it doesn’t do any good, and how could it? Satan knew the scriptures as well as Jesus and used them to tempt him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit