WHAT ARE YOUR MOST VIVID, ODD, or FUNNY Memories of Conventions and Assemblies of Jehovah's Witnesses?

by Balaamsass 86 Replies latest jw experiences

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Funniest thing about any assembly or convention is how after it they all gush about the great talks/demo/drama/ecperiences/how refreshing it was but when you pressed them for specifics they couldn't remember a thing.

I remember the bomb scare in sydney and how hot it was and all of us in the stands with little battery powered fans buzzing away. Amazed at how all our bags were still there when we got back to our seats...A few years later i actually enjoyed the big conventions because of the food service. one could volunteer all day manning a huge cauldron of boiling potato's. Afew more years later and i enjoyed them because of all the hot young sisters doing their best to impress.

The old gatherings did have an air of specialness about them unlike modern ones where you have to bring your own paper bag lunch.

Oz

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

I would think it would be funny to bring some "buck lure" into a DC or CA and drop it under the stands somehow. People would have to leave the place as the smell is too strong to endure for most.

Anyone,.. anyone?

NJY

• Vindico
    Vindico

I have two.

I was about 16 my brother 14 we were sitting on a Sunday afternoon, everyone was full from lunch and exhausted from the last few days. You could have heard a pin drop. My brother was nodding off you know the head jerk readjust and nod off again, after about 20 or 30 minutes he jerked so bad he let out a yelp and fell off his seat, turned and looked at me and pretended I pinched his side.

I didn’t care I was laughing so bad I had to leave. Dad kicked my ass and in for another elders meeting.

The other was my brother had a part pretending to be someone at the door, when they introduced themselves he introduced himself as Mr. Hunt, Michael Hunt. Me and all our friends jaws hit the floor. The funny thing, he got away with it no one put it together.

• kustomclothing
    kustomclothing

It HAS to be the 8/10 Testicles for me.

I'm in Australia and I knew the guy giving the EXACT same talk at the convention (being in Australia we are a day ahead of the US with talks) and we showed it to the guy giving the talk and he said he was up all night practicing it.

For the rest of the convention I was there waiting and waiting until he got to the example to see if he would stuff up.

An elders son told me (as a young kid) what to do at the door, I listened and his dad was giving the intro when I stood there behind him grinning waving my hand like a robot behind his father, he did not I was doing it until we knocked on the door of my teacher and I just froze and he saw me with the stupid expression and hand wave. hahahahahaha

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    The year Michael Jackson, along with an entourage arrived at the Kingdome In Seattle. There were large limos and lots of big black guys. Had he really wanted anonymity, he wouldn't have come in a limo to an area no one else could park and make a spectacle out of himself. 3 guys no one makes special note of. . 8-12 is hard to miss, especially when they are huge and dressed better than anyone. I never saw them after that as im sure they had some VIP area set aside. This was mid 70s when the kingdome was new and cool.
  • Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

1985-The day of the convention that the "Creation" book was released.

Standing in line, waiting for my copy, I notice the VERY CUTE blonde girl making eye contact with me and smiling. I look away and look back, yeah, no mistake, she is definitely vamping me!

Annnnnnddd... just at that moment, my Dad, gives his signature whistle, gives the twirling finger signal that we are "heading out" and I look back to see the look of pouty disappointment on the young lady's face as we leave.

Looked for her the next day, never found her. (No, I did not steal this scene from "American Grafitti", but it does have its similarities...)

Every so often, that memory comes up. Who was she? Was she really interested, or just giving a random fat guy a hopeless thrill? And if she was interested in me, why? Oh, the road not taken, the gusto not gone for. Why did my 19 year old self HAVE TO ride with my folks that day? Why wasn't I more assertive? What might have been?

And that's the best memory I have ever had of an assembly.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Captain Schmideo 2 is that you? I have been waiting for you my whole life... (cue romantic music)

Nah, just kidding.😆

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

Best memory my sons ever had for an assembly.
    The same weekend that we had our summer convention, just a few miles away was a Star Trek/Fantasy convention. My oldest really wanted to go, as a friend of his from school would also be there. So, I drove him there in the morning to spend the day. Then, since I felt guilty about it, I let his brother (who was dressed for the assembly) go as well when we got there. At lunch break, I brought him his regular clothes.

They got to see William Shatner and talk to a voice actor for various animated shows (including Clone Wars). The best Assembly Saturday THEY ever had!

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

sparrowdown:

"A fellow will remember a lot of things you wouldn't think he'd remember. You take me. One day, back in 1896, I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry, and as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in, and on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl."- Mr. Bernstein, Citizen Kane

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Why Mr Bernstein, (all breathy, Marilyn voice) I didn't realize you noticed me.. nah still kidding.

Seriously, this has to stop.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit