Anyone know of any effective but simple diets/diet tips? Weight gain after giving up smoking!

by Lozhasleft 98 Replies latest jw friends

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Loz, I have a friend who is a nutritionist. She advocates sticking as closely as possible to a palaeolithic, hunter-gatherer diet, and eating nothing that can't be caught, fished for, dug up or picked. I stuck to it for eight months, with the addition of porridge in the morning, eating much, much more fruit and veg, plenty of protein, which she said was the key, and no processed food. I lost 31 pounds.

However, at that point I was craving bread and also dairy products, and I came off it. Interestingly, the weight loss remained, and I didn't put it back on, but I have found it very difficult to get back onto it, which ideally I would like to do, as really I could do with losing a bit more. I felt very well indeed while on it, and didn't catch any colds etc.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Yes, as I've said Char, I don't want to take on another diet that won't fit in with my life, then I'd give up after a while and the weight usually piles back on more than before. Like the one you refer to I wouldnt be able to maintain that for long its too time consuming in a busy life, and Id crave other foods too.

I think today I've found a way that I can live with that I can make my 'normal' eating lifestyle (See above) it offers good health benefits too.

Loz x

• Terry
    Terry

1.The reason we eat is to obtain fuel for energy.

2.Sugar and Salt are in almost everything we eat.

3.Understand the difference between a snack for energy and a meal for comfort and you're halfway there.

4.If you don't exercise and you have irregular eating habits you'll STORE fat.

5.Your coke or Dr.Pepper equals 10 spoons of sugar.

6.How much you weigh doesn't mean nearly as much as how healthy you are.

7.Most human bodies have little proportionate balance in distribution of muscle/fat. Live with that.

8.If you can climb a flight of stairs and reach the top without panting like dog on a summer day: celebrate!

9.No matter where you are you can exercise by doing SOMETHING. (I lift my feet off the ground when I'm sitting to tense my abdomen, for example.)

10.Find your weaknesses and list them. Then list what you have done and continue to do that perpetuates them. THEN STOP DOING those things!

11.Before you start any meal first drink 10 oz. of water. Then, do NOT drink during your meal. You dilute your saliva which is an important part of your digestive process. Chew the damned food before you swallow. Do not rush! The slower you eat the better chance your brain has to get signals from your stomach that you've had enough.

12. People who feel FULL after they eat have stretched their capacity! You want to shrink your capacity and not STRETCH it!!

13. People with a weight PROBLEM have lots of eating RITUALS. These are comfort rituals. Identify these obsessive MUSTS and stop performing them. Food isn't any more important than breathing. Just breath. Just eat. Forget the comfort rituals. Take a walk or climb some stairs.

Stop worshiping the emotional high from eating and you are back to obtaining energy instead of masturbating with food.

• bsmart
    bsmart

If you have a hard time cutting out the carbs... just cut the sugar and flour. It will still let you have all the fruit and vegitables you want. Gluten can be a problem for a lot of people. Less processed food, and no fast food is my solution when I want to lose some of the blubber. Like another poster said allow yourself one day a week to go a little wild. It helps to not feel deprived.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Three things I know of work, dear Loz (peace to you, dear one!)... and one or two are in agreement with C:

The first one is eat the same thing at the same time every day. Routine. Your body will learn to how to process what you're giving it. It's when we eat such a variety that we "confuse" our digestive and metabolic systems and so the body has to "gear up" the "new" thing... which can take time. I NEED variety, so this would never work for me.

The second (and one I've seen work just as well, and works for me) is to EAT... but just do it in smaller portions! Which doesn't mean cutting out anything, actually, including breads, potatoes, pasta, cakes, pies, candy... beer/wine/alcohol. Rather, take what you normally eat in a day... and eat it ALL day. Eat at least every 2 hours but more frequently, if you can. Just don't eat SO MUCH at a time. So, for instance, say you normally eat a bowl (2 cups) of oatmeal for breakfast, at say 7am. Make the same amount, divide it into four smaller bowls of 1/2 cup each and eat one at 7am, one at 8am, one at 9am, one at 10am (or make it in one bowl and then eat a fourth - 1/2 cup - of it each hour. Or make a fresh 1/2 cup each hour and eat it then). Same thing with lunch (eat all of it between 12pm to say 3pm) and dinner (eating it between 5pm to 8-9pm). Eat your meal in fractions of four (or more). Include ALL of your normal food AND snacks. Just eat less AT A TIME. Also, if you get hungry before bed, have a protein (an ounce or two of cheese, a cup of greek yogurt, a couple slices of cold cut, slice of meat/poulty) rather than a carb.

Doing this:

(1) keeps you from getting too hungry (you will get hungry but it will just be time for you to eat again, so not TOO hungry); and (2) keeps your body in "food processing" mode.

You will find out, after a couple/few weeks (about 3) that:

(1) you will only get initially hungry but not famished; (2) you will LOSE weight (because your body is in constant "burn" mode); and (3) you will actually maintain your weight loss because you will slowly "learn" to eat LESS. Your body will require less because you are putting less in at a time. You (and it) will find that you are NOT starving when you don't have a vat of potatoes, that instead a couple spoonfuls are actually enough for you to live on.

The third is what that some folks who cook stay slim because they never actually eat a MEAL, but "taste" as they go (a forkful or two here, a spoonful there, but never a full meal. I do this, too, sometimes now, especially if it's heavier food).

OH... and CHEW YOUR FOOD!! At least 20-30 chews per mouthful (or whatever it takes to fully "puree" your food). Not only will you get full faster BUT you are helping your body to process, digest, and metabolize your food much easier! Some of the thinnest folks I know are also some of the slowest eaters, while some of the largest I know are some of the fastest! Yet, the thinner person may have put away WAY more than the larger person!

And that's my contribution, based on my observations and own experience (as well as education from my diabetes educators over the years).

I hope something in one or more of the responses on this thread prove to be helpful to you.

Again, peace to you!

YSSFS of Christ,

SA

• crmsicl
    crmsicl

Congratulations on quitting smoking. That's one down. My well wishes are with you. I feel you will conquer this too.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Wow! It seems everyone has their two cents to add... If only we ALL were in a position to give advice!

Loz, I'm not sure why you feel you can't exercise, but... You have to. Besides, there's no better feeling than being in shape! Regardless of age. Don't listen to those who say to cut carbs... You need carbs! Just go easy on the simple carbs, stay the HELL away from: table sugar and high fructose corn syrup. Go easy on the potatoes and bread. This is by no means cutting out carbs! Just go for the complex carbs. Learn to LOVE veggies. Oats are the best way to get your carbs in IMO, or Ezekiel bread is good too. For protein eat lots of fish, chicken breasts and egg whites, and also the occasional LEAN steak or roast. Tenderloin or filet are good.

Eat regularly, eat often. Don't starve! Don't go for the Atkins and for the love of Thor don't go vegan! Animals were meant to be eaten! Otherwise they wouldn't taste so good.

Dont go on a diet, or the results will almost definitely be temporary! You're going on a lifestyle change, not a diet. Don't do cheat days, but have the occasional cheat meal. After a while, you won't crave carbs, sugars, etc.

Best of luck on your transformation! Be sure to keep us updated.

• LV101
    LV101

Weight Watchers has a new program out --- it's still the PointsPlus but something has been added this year. If you finid out what the new program is all about let me know. My friends have the most success with Weight Watchers. One has been following for yrs. and yrs. and is always nice and slim -- the other is a marathon runner and she and her running buddies do well on the program.

• SkyGreen
    SkyGreen

I just PMed you!

After reading everything here though, something to add.... Gender and health issues have a lot to do with what kind of diet/lifestyle will work for us. See your doctor for some advice x

• SkyGreen
    SkyGreen

Agh!!! Just saw your post about fasting... Please Don't do a fast or a juice fast unless you are feeling reasonably well to begin with, could cause massive flare ups with fm and M.E!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit