Believers, do you believe in evolution?

by everchangingworld 159 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Well, at some point in the evolutionary line, a souless set of parents gave birth to children that received souls.

To be souless is to be dead, there was no souless parents giving birth to anything.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I does seem to be a complicated matterm made worse by the fact that I don't really know what a soul is.

Well, in the biblical sense, soul is life, if you are alive, you have a soul.

Of course there are other views of what a soul is or isn't, wiki and google are your friends ;)

Of course in the end, we are all speculating and voicing an opinion, nothing more and nothing less.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Okay, so you are saying that souless parents gave birth to children that were granted souls. And from that point forward, humans had souls---even if they didn't look for god?

And what about other human species? Neanderthal had a spiritual life---so they must have been searching---did they have souls?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

To be souless is to be dead, there was no souless parents giving birth to anything.

You said that the soul was something that left the body at death but was not destroyed. Are you saying that all animals have souls?

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I'm of the position that everything that lives is and has a soul.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Okay, so you are saying that souless parents gave birth to children that were granted souls. And from that point forward, humans had souls---even if they didn't look for god?

Nope, I said that every living being has a soul.

And what about other human species? Neanderthal had a spiritual life---so they must have been searching---did they have souls?

Soul means life as in "save our souls" or "all souls lost", so yes, neandrathals had souls, what they didn't have was the spirit.

Although same may say that yes, every living creature has a spirit too ( though that isn't typiclaly orthodox teaching).

The issue is that spirit and soul do get "lumped together" and "interchanged" quite a bit so that one loses the distinction, ( if there is one).

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

let me FF 10 pages:

strawman, you are drunk. you dont know God

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Except your earlier definition define the soul as something separate from the physical body, something that was not destroyed by death, and something that was immortal.

Now you are linking it to the physical body and life.

So WHAT PART of the human do you say survives death? Because I don't want a semantical discussion. If you want to call it a spirit, we'll call it a spirit. If you want to call it a soul, we'll call it a soul. And WHY is it such a common thing for a non-atheist to use language as a barrier rather than a vehicle for communication? It is incredibly frustrating.

Soul, or Spirit---what makes humans unique? What survives death? What is granted to them by god that is not granted to other animals?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    You said that the soul was something that left the body at death but was not destroyed. Are you saying that all animals have souls?

Yep, animlas have souls.

The confusion is understandable because, well, the doctrines of soul and spirit tend to mix together and rarely does doctrine address non-human animals.

The JW doctrine is the soul "dies" or "sleeps" and the spirit returns to God BUT the spirit is only a "life force", that spirit is held by God and then returned ( in some form) to the resurrected body.

The orthodox teaching is that the soul and spirit can't be seperated THAT way, that the soul and spirit return to God ( the spiritual soul) and there they have an afterlife ( not going into the doctines of hell, purgatory and what not) untill the resurrection of the body at which time they will return to their NEW bodies.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Except your earlier definition define the soul as something separate from the physical body, something that was not destroyed by death, and something that was immortal.

You mean my pasting of the catholic cathechism examples?

Now you are linking it to the physical body and life.

Yes. It is not a case of either/or, the soul is life, if you are a live you have a soul.

So WHAT PART of the human do you say survives death? Because I don't want a semantical discussion. If you want to call it a spirit, we'll call it a spirit. If you want to call it a soul, we'll call it a soul. And WHY is it such a common thing for a non-atheist to use language as a barrier rather than a vehicle for communication? It is incredibly frustrating.

Human doctines are frustrating at times because, well, there is more than one.

Soul, or Spirit---what makes humans unique? What survives death? What is granted to them by god that is not granted to other animals?

IMO, the spirit, which is granted By God and returns to God.

Please note that I referenced those articles of the Catholic cathechism as examples of orthodox teachings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit