Believers, do you believe in evolution?

by everchangingworld 159 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• everchangingworld
    everchangingworld

After leaving, I still couldn't wrap my head around evolution (after the years of seing "intelligent design" in everything around me).

There's a series of videos that give a good intro to evolution and critical thinking. They've probably been posted here before, but, for any new members, these are worth watching.

Evolution: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdddbYILel0

Critical thinking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OLPL5p0fMg

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Yep, I tend to fall into the "theistic evolutonary" category.

I agree with common ancestory, but do not agree that life happened by chance and without purpose ( what some refer to as evolutionisim).

• tec
    tec

I also accept evolution and evolution of the species. I'm sure we're missing things; we always are or there would be nothing new to discover. Maybe even revolutionary things... but for the time being, I accept evolution with that in mind.

Peace,

tammy

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Yes, I believe in evolution as a process. I suspect that it isn't yet the whole story, because scientists, as most of them would admit, do not know everything.

Like PSacramento, I do not believe that it is a r and pm process without purpose. I think it is part of the whole that comprises Earth, and I also believe in the Creation, though not exactly when and how, and not in any way that excludes evolution or any other scientific process yet to be discovered. I do believe that od is behind everything, in what form we do not know, because I do not believe the Watchtower teaching that we can know God.

• cedars
    cedars

I would go so far as to say that belief in evolution may well be inescapable from a biblical viewpoint.

Consider this...

The bible speaks of God as being the "former of mountains"...

(Amos 4:13) . . .For, look! the Former of [the] mountains and the Creator of [the] wind, and the One telling to earthling man what his mental concern is, the One making dawn into obscurity, and the One treading on earth’s high places, Jehovah the God of armies is his name.. . .

And yet, we know that mountains are in a constant state of being formed. What is a flat desert plain today may well be a mountain at some point in the future. The Earth's crust is in a constant state of flux, and the formation of mountains is a continual process.

If this is true of mountains, why can't it also be true of life forms?

Furthermore, if we dogmatically state "God could not possibly use evolution as a tool in the creative process", wouldn't we be presumptuously robbing God of an essential element in his toolkit? Who are we to say what processes God doesn't use, especially if there is scientific evidence to suggest that he uses them?

Cedars

• sizemik
    sizemik

I don't believe in evolution . . . I understand why it's true.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Sizemik - you beat me to it!

• cedars
    cedars

lol, sizemik and cantleave - you heathens! Fancy having the audacity to gatecrash on a thread for believers!

I can comment because I am technically agnostic - making me an impartial observer who can understand both sides of the argument.

You guys are just here to stir up anarchy with your troublesome facts! Be gone with you!

Cedars

• cofty
    cofty

Sizemik has made an important point. Nobody "believes" in gravity or in germ theory. Its just a fact that we accept based on irrefutable evidence. Evolution is the same. Every living thing on earth evolved from a common ancestor over millions of years and that includes humans.

Of course its true that there is much more to be discovered but this simple fact is as likely to be overturned as the fact that the earth is not flat.

• cofty
    cofty

I can comment because I am technically agnostic - making me an impartial observer who can understand both sides of the argument.

But Cedars evolution is not a religious issue - or it shouldn't be. Its a fact - it doesn't require anyboy's approval.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit